Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"
Progress: 5%
Default From Atkins to P.P. OR... something else?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm possibly asking a bit differently... I have been "TRYING" Atkins for 3 weeks. I've gone nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I admit I've gotten frustrated and cheated here and there, (not much though, at all) however I honestly have lost nothing, while I see others are losing atleast water weight. I drink a TON of water and do some moderate exercise when I can.

I think Atkins is not the plan for me. I have a hard time staying under (or at) 20 grams per day. I also have a hard time going cold turkey with caffeine and heck, I admit, I like to have a beer now and again. (I buy low-carb beer). Now, don't tell me I shouldn't drink the beer or coffee. I will not give up those little pleasures, because it's a treat for me once in a while. I already know it's not good for me! It was hard enough giving up every carb I love.... wow is it hard!

I need to lose 40 pounds. I'm 187 now. I would like to get to 150ish.

I have the Atkins book and have read it. I don't own any other low carb books. I realize Atkins is similar to P.P. so maybe P.P. isn't for me either. I don't know. I'm confused and frustrated. I'd love some advice here.

Would I/should I switch? Can I swith or will I gain? Shall I try Schwarzbein, or Zone? I don't know.

I HAVE read the section here on "Which low-carb plan is for you" and I'm even more confused!

I am sorry to babble, but I thought I'd come here for guideance. Thank you!

P.S. I did also post this on the Protein Power thread area too, looking for answers. I hope this is okay.

Leah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:45
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Just my Opinion

Hi Leah, Sound kinda disgusted. Well I am on CAD and it is true no person loses weight the same as any other person on the same plan. I myself am on CAD and can only tell you about that. I was in a similar situation where I stopped losing on Atkins. I looked in Sheila's journal and seen how much she has lost and decided to go that way. I had to stop because I had surgery froma result of cancer, so my results have been zip since all of this happened. On Cad you can have your beer during your RM meal, the caffeine I'm sure you have heard is a YMMV type of thing. CAD is a slower losing process. I was stalled on Atkins for about 4 weeks and thought slow losing process is better than no losing process. if you would like to see Sheila's journal just take a peak here . Like I said this is only my opinion, I lost 3 pounds in 3 days when I first started CAD, but I excercise alot and took it easy with my RM's.
I am getting ready to do a fat fluch on the gittleman's diet. It boosts your metabolism and you can read about that here . I hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 13:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 180//160
BF:
Progress:

I have been doing some reading on PP, and you can drink alcohol, and caffeine. Also the starting carbs are 30. Just remember that you will burn off the alcohol cals, before anything else. I have been on a low carb diet, and lost 3 pounds in 4 days. But I don't feel good at all! I have no energy, nauseated, and have the runs I had to go off it today, because I am just to sick. But I will start back up tomorrow.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 14:47

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Exclamation Wait!!

MaraNFla-

How long have you been lo-carbing? If you have only been on the plan for the 4 days, then you're just feeling nasty because your body is 'detoxing' from all the carbs. I felt nasty for the first week that I was on Atkins--- headache, nauseated, diarrhea, tired, etc., but it all vanished (literally) on the 7th day. I picked up my gym routine again and have been trucking along ever since!

If you have been lo-carbing for a while, then you may want to evaluate your plan--- water intake, carb/fat/protein ratios, vitamins, etc.

Granted, I'm not an expert, but I'd hate to see you repeat the detoxing again if it is unnecessary.

Best of luck and happy LCing!
Nikki
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 00:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 180//160
BF:
Progress:

Yes, just 4 days. Is it really normal to feel this bad? On day 2, I had terrible cravings for bread, I have never felt that way! But what is funny is on day 3, I had no appetite at all! I had to force my self to eat anything. I was so dizzy, and tired today I had to go off the diet. I eat a sweet roll, and about 10 mins later I was feeling better! I can't say this is because I eat a lot of carbs, I have been on an off again a low fat diet for 5 years. But still a majority of my cals, were some type of carb! I do plan on giving it another try. This time trying more cals, I have a hard time with adding cals, and fat... wish me luck...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 12:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

After four days? It's perfectly normal! Especially if you tried to go cold turkey on caffeine. You might want to sneak in some coffee, just be sure you count the carbs from sweetener or cream.

Are you feeling better today? It should be passing...