Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:16

Plan: 0
Stats: 186/178/165
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default High protein, high fat and fatty liver

I am considering the Atkins plan and have some questions. First, I can understand the low-carb reasoning, but why must it must be coupled with high fat and protein? I have high readings of ggt liver enzyme which after tests my Dr. concluded I have "fatty liver". Would a diet high in protein do more damage to my liver?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

I have been reading the book "Life Without Bread" and I would say based on that, YES!!!!!
If you can, get the book and read it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:55

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

There has never been a study showing liver damage from this woe. Further there has never even been one case of liver damage attributed to this program. Fatty liver is a byproduct of obesity and/or excessive alcohol use, and is cured by weigh loss or not drinking.
The answer is no it won't hurt you, it will more likely be the most effective way for you to lose weight, solving the problem. DLB
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 23:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/196/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Psness,

My husband was also diagnosed with fatty liver a few years ago. His liver enzymes were elevated but was negative for hepatitis. He had to get a liver biopsy to finally get a diagnosis. He weighed about 220 at the time and was told to lose weight. He eventually went on atkins and went to 180 lbs. Repeat liver enzymes went to normal ranges. Because I'm a med tech and work at a lab it was easy for me to track his progress. The one thing that was a problem for him (and still is actually) was consuming meals very high in fat. He would get horrible side pains to the point we almost went to the ER assuming he had appendicitis! The protein never bothered him. So he had to do a modified Atkins. He ate mostly chicken and lower fat fish and not more than one serving of beef a week. The other thing the biopsy showed was that he had 4+ iron granules present in his liver. I ran a ferritin level and it was 350 (very high). He had to give multiple blood donations to get it back down to normal ranges. So he was concerned about eating a lot of iron rich meat. Losing weight basically solved his problem. Now he just has to endure me teasing him about having had a liver that would have made great pate! Hope this helps!-Holly
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 03:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

My husband and I have lowered our liver enzymes and triglycerides and all the negative stuff on the Atkins plan.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 22:55

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Anyone have any more information about higher fat and fatty liver???
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 23:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Carbs are associated with fatty liver disease:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/ne...ublevel341.html

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diges...atty-liver.aspx

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/83167.php

To fatten the liver of a duck, for frois gras ( sp ? ) the duck is forced fed corn.

The best way to treat fatty liver disease is with the same diet that treats diabetes. What could that diet possibly be?

http://www.gastro.com/Gastro/liverd...y_liver.aspx#a6

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Mar-06-10 at 23:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 00:02

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
To fatten the liver of a duck, for frois gras ( sp ? ) the duck is forced fed corn.

]

Foie gras - force feeding ducks is babarious and cruel. I hope that all countries will start banning this 'delicacy'. There are numerous petitions on-line which, if you feel strongly about this issue, you can sign :

http://www.stopgavage.com/en/index.php

http://www.nofoiegras.org/
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 06:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
Foie gras - force feeding ducks is babarious and cruel. I hope that all countries will start banning this 'delicacy'. There are numerous petitions on-line which, if you feel strongly about this issue, you can sign :

http://www.stopgavage.com/en/index.php

http://www.nofoiegras.org/

You are right about that.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 11:44

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psness
Would a diet high in protein do more damage to my liver?
Atkins is not really a 'high protein' way of eating but a high fat/medium protein/low carb one.

(Edited to correct the typo Lisa noticed!!!)
Must be my old timer's disease kicking in

Last edited by Elizellen : Sun, Mar-07-10 at 15:12.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 13:50
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Atkins is not really a 'high protein' way of eating but a high fat/medium protein/low fat one.

Elizellen--I know this was just a typo Low fat?

Atkins=adequate protein, higher fat.

Excessive carbohydrate intake, HFCS, excessive alcohol consumption, liver pathology such as hepatitis=fatty liver.

Fats do not cause fatty liver disease.

Decrease in carbohydrate consumption and losing weight will improve/resolve fatty liver if there is no other underlying pathophysiology.

Black has some exellent links. I would take a gander at these to help put your mind at ease.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 15:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for spotting my typo, Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: LowGI Carb
Stats: 239.4/233.8/191.8 Female 176.7
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Fatty Liver

So let me get this right....

For someone who has been diagnosed with Fatty Liver (such as my 16 year old daughter) they should continue on very low carbing (as she has been) and NO adjustment is required in the kind of meats she is consuming...?? ie: She's not to start eating leaner low fat meats ...

Just something else to throw into the pot is that my daughters GP prescribed her last month a tablet which when taken with her meals helps stop her body absorbing fat.
Is this unwise ? What effect do you think this will have when her predominant source of body fuel is protein fat... Thoughts on this would be much appreciated...

I am sorry if I'm not coming across coherent, but I'm all in a muddle about the best way to help my daughter .. :0

Its very early days & we were only told today following a liver scan that it shows fatty liver damage.. (Its not all in one place but in various patches through it. I don't know how damaged this makes it, so we await to see another consultant :z
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 12:34

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's my understanding that it's fructose (half of table sugar is fructose, high fructose corn syrup is in everything) is the leading cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Fatty liver describes the liver's condition; not how it got that way.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 12:35

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

In "The 6 Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle", Dr Eades wrote a great deal about fatty liver.

There is a mention of it in his blog:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...t-and-bad-fats/

Quote:

In the 6-Week Cure we wrote about how vegetable oils – at least in lab animals – drive the development of fatty liver. Researchers give rodents large regular doses of alcohol to get them to develop fatty livers. They have found that if they give the rodents vegetable oils, they can accelerate the development of liver disease. If the rodents get saturated fats, however, they almost can’t get fatty livers no matter how much alcohol they take in. Does this apply to humans? Who knows? These kinds of studies would be unethical to do in humans, so we can’t test to find out. But, the evidence is clear enough in rodents that I’m not all that eager to go face down in the vegetable oil.

I suspect that one of the reasons non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is reaching epidemic proportions worldwide is the ubiquitous substitution of vegetable oils for saturated fats every where. When we were doing research for the book, I scoured the literature to find studies in which people with fatty liver disease were treated with diet and found only two such studies. In both of them the fatty livers of the subjects reversed quickly – in just a matter of a few days – when the subjects went on low-carb diets. I suspect that the increase in saturated fat helped things along markedly. And, I suspect the unwarranted avoidance of saturated fats by our bamboozled fellow citizens is one of the reasons there is so much fatty liver disease.