Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 09:44

Plan: None
Stats: 180/180/180
BF:
Progress:
Default Lean Protein = hypoglycemic symptoms

I normally eat a lot of fat (around 70%). I noticed that when I eat lean protein (like chicken breasts with no fat added) first I get kind of 'high' feeling and than I get hypoglycemic-like symptoms (moodiness, shaking hands, depression etc).

Anybody experienced something like that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 04:20

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well, without a blood glucose test at that moment It'd be kinda hard to call it hypoglycemia. The reason I say that is I'm diabetic and I will often get hypoglycemia symptoms if I've gone too long without food, yet when I test my BG it is definitely not in the hypoglycemic range, quite the opposite, often running about 160-180, whereas hypoglycemic range would be 60 or below. When I was first diagnosed diabetic I was getting MAJOR hypoglycemic symptoms. I'd eat every two hours and was still hungry. Sweaty, shaking hands, shallow breathing, and indescrible hunger pangs. My fasting blood sugar was 309!
So I'd say you might be looking at similar symptoms for a different cause.
Would your blood type by any chance be B-type? If so, don't eat any chicken at all. Nor cornish hen. Turkey is ok, it's not the same creature, but chicken and cornish hen are and B's don't handle the lectins in chicken well at all. (or tomato or corn either)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I have to say I don't go with the blood type - food groups thing. Seems very unscientific to me, though I know many folk are interested in it.

I've suffered from reactive hypoglycaemia for years and the symptoms you describe are what I used to get when my blood sugar was very low or dropped very fast, without necessarily getting actually hypo low.

Yes - occasionally, I get them when eating lean protein and no fat, still. As far as I can find out:

If you eat fat, your body will use that for energy.
If you don't it will use the protein. Somewhere along the line of doing this, you make glucose - my biochemistry is very hazy now, someone (Nat?) will know more about this.

Whether or not you make enough glucose to provoke an insulin reaction, I don't know, but given the symptoms it seems possible.

I guess the answer is easy and pleasant - we need to eat plenty of fat with our protein. I now deliberately add oil salad dressings to a lunch that might otherwise been just lean chicken and salad, for just that reason - or I eat full fat greek yoghurt as dessert, or finish with coffee and cream

Take care, Jay
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 18:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I have to say I don't go with the blood type - food groups thing. Seems very unscientific to me, though I know many folk are interested in it.

I have to agree with you , there, Jay.

It's utterly unscientific. Have a peek at this site:
http://www.vegsource.com/klaper/diet.htm

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 01:41

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Response to blood type--kinda long:

Actually the blood type thing is VERY scientific, regarding food lectins and how they react to certain blood types. They test food lectins by putting some blood under a microscope then adding the food lectin to it. You can actually watch the blood cells change form or explode when they come in contact with the offending lectin. (That's also basically how an allergist tests for allergins that don't show up on the skin prick test. I was tested for penicillin on a skin prick and it showed negative. I told the allergist I was *highly* allergice to penicillin, so he drew blood and introduced the penicillin--my blood cells disintegrated on contact with the penicillin)
For example, cows milk is very B-type like in certain aspects--a blood Type A or O who drink milk would react to it whereas a B-Type wouldn't. Our body's immune system is on the constant lookout for anything it perceives as not 'family'. So if an O or A drinks milk which puts a B-like substance in the body, the immune system will kick in and try to kill the invader. It can result in a host of symptoms, some of which we can easily ignore, some we can't. I'm an A and I know that when I gave up milk entirely my sinus trouble and allergies went away and my acid reflux went away. I also gave up nightshade veggies. My B-type friend gave up chicken, tomatoes and corn. Within a month she was frankly amazed at how much better she felt--she was even getting comments from co-workers about how good she looked, even though she hadn't told them anything about changing her diet. Also someone she knows who claims to be able to read peoples 'auras' said she noticed Sharon's aura had changed and what had she (Sharon) done in her life recently? Sharon then told her she'd made some changes in her diet.
Now having said that, I go along with the lectin thing regarding blood type, but I don't go along with saying A-types should avoid meat because they are supposed to have a tendency to produce a more alkaline stomach acid which won't allow them to properly digest animal proteins (but is supposed to be very beneficial for digesting vegetable protein). Also A's are supposed to have less alkaline phosphatase in their intestines which supposedly also prevents proper assimilation of animal proteins and cause the whole mess to just ferment. (Apparently B's and O's are not subject to this problem, as red meats are actually highly recommended for O's and is an OK for B's). I appear to be an A who not only can tolerate red meat, but actually does well on it. I followed the A-type diet for 14 months and felt miserable (yes, I did the soy, tofu, beans for protein thing). I became diabetic eating that way and I had gotten to a point where I would have eaten a cow alive. I had my kineseologist test me on various aspects of the blood type diet and we found that on every 'No No' given regarding lectins my muscle testing failed, but on the red meat I came up strong (except on pork--I failed that over and over again). So I do a combination of Bernstein/Atkins tempered by my blood type lectin avoids. I also have gotten into the pH thing (eating more alkaline) and I'm pleased with my results. It's taken a lot of 'tweaking', but I'm very glad I did.
Since B's do so poorly with chicken, then anyone doing the low carb thing who are eating a great deal of chicken who also just happen to be a B-type, they may not feel so great. Just a suggestion to any B-types out there: *Try* giving up chicken, tomatoes and corn and see if that helps.
Any blood type questions regarding applying the basic principles of it to doing low-carb, feel free to ask. I can make recommendations based upon my own observations. I know for sure I am an exception to the no-meat-eating A-types, but that doesn't mean the basic concept of blood type and the affects of food regarding blood type is flawed. It just needs further research, but is worth a try if things aren't going quite right for you. Then there's also candida infestation, but that's a whole 'nother thread....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 08:05
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mefisto:

I don't get the same reaction as you, but if I don't eat enough fat, I get that reactive-type hunger about 1 hour after eating. I've just recently read that adrenal stress can also cause these symptoms (apart from insulin), but I'm not sure where it all fits in yet.

I try to keep my fat intake at 100g/day. That's about 65-75% for me as well.

As for the blood type discussion, for whatever it's worth. I've been involved with professionals (an alternative doctor, nutritionist and allergy/intolerance tester) who believe strongly in blood type diets, based on what they've seen. However, the A-type diet also made me hypoglycemic, so I think the plan is still a work in progress. When Dr. D'Adamo addresses "insulin", it will be more rounded.

The site listed above endorses a low-fat, vegan diet and also describes the LC WOE as dangerous, so I think the info should be taken with a grain of salt. From what I've surmised, they haven't read the book. They quote sections, but they are taken out of context without an understanding of the book.

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/weigh...on_on_diets.htm

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Feb-22-03 at 08:15.