Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 18:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/196/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default DANDR Ch 20 Fat Fast

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to do this. I had really great results my first two weeks, but in week 3 and now 4 I have completely stalled out. I feel slightly bloated, and the only variation to my diet was adding in romaine lettuce for wraps at breakfast and lunch.

A huge problem for me right now is a total loss of appetite. I can feel the true hunger sensation, but the idea of eating anything just isn't appealing. Not even bacon makes my mouth water like it used to, lol. I've also regained 3lbs, which is terrifying for me!

Odds are I'm jumping the gun and being ridiculously impatient. If I am, tell me! If not, I'd love to know if anyone did the Fat Fast and what their experiences were.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 18:37

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

Are you taking measurements? Sometimes the pounds don't change but you can still be losing inches.

I don't have anything to offer re: the fat fast. I've tried it for a day here and there. *shudder* It grosses me out.

Are you exercising at all? That will improve insulin sensitivity in your muscles.

Good luck - I'm getting back into it myself. I lost a bunch of weight but let depression take hold over the winter and now I gained every pound back and they brought 7 new friends!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 18:44
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Atkins states that a stall is four weeks without weight or measurements lost.

I would keep on your path. Sometimes your body needs to get used to the new way of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 18:57

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLiLew
I'm beginning to wonder if I need to do this. I had really great results my first two weeks, but in week 3 and now 4 I have completely stalled out. I feel slightly bloated, and the only variation to my diet was adding in romaine lettuce for wraps at breakfast and lunch.

Some people have a very hard time tolerating lettuce. Sometimes, it seems like you've never had a problem with it because other foods were creating a bigger problem. My mom has crohn's disease, which is improved 95% with gluten-free eating, but a bit of lettuce creates...problems, we shall say. =) Sooo...that could be your bloating problem right there.

As far as stalling, it's normal. Just fight through it. No matter what diet you do, you will have an initial loss and then a slight break for a few days or weeks after that. Think of the Biggest Loser and "dreaded week 2".
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 07:02
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

You asked...so....I think you are being impatient.

As John has already pointed out, a TRUE stall is 4 WEEKS of no loss in weight or inches.

Another thing to remember is that weeks 3-5 are the most common for losses to slow, or to even gain. You have just put your body through a MAJOR change in how it fuels itself, and it takes time for it to adjust. During your first 2 weeks, you can expect to lose up to 10% of the weight you need to lose. You're at 18%, so WELL ahead of that target.

Sit back, relax, and ride it out. Things are progressing as they typically do.

As far as the hunger, mine comes and goes in spurts. There will be days where I feel like I could eat all day, and days where I have absolutely no interest in food at all. Again, just part of it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 09:27

Plan: Atkins/hcg/CNS/Diabetic
Stats: 305/288/220 Female 5'7"
BF:Try, try again!
Progress: 20%

I have done a fat fast, but do know that I am not in induction and have worked thru all the rungs of OWL. The reason I have done them is while I do lose, I do so very slowly and can sometimes go weeks w/o a loss. I have to say-I did not do the Atkins one of cream cheese and macadamia nuts (I think), but one where fat was 75-80 % of my days food and carbs were below 3%. Worked very well-did for 3 days lost 3 lbs and the weight stayed off (vs water weight). Again-I am not sure this is appropriate for induction afer a week long stall.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 13:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Read the bit in the Fat Fast section where Dr Atkins explains why it is not suitable for anyone who was able to lose weight on induction before deciding to try it.