Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Is this WOE Expensive or is it just me?

I dont know what everybody else spends or thinks, but i find this WOE very pricey. $$ The meat alone, because we get all of our meat from the local meat market so it is fresh. That is kinda expensive.
What do you think?
We are a family of three and love steaks.
Maybe its just me???
Maybe someone out there could offer me some ways to cut the cost.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:47

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yes it is pricey.. Im just learning how to bargain shop. Its about the best youll be able to do... that and buy in bulk and freeze when you see a good sale.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:57

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

My grocery bills are pretty much the same. I shop twice a month and pack my freezer full of meats, but before I put it in the freezer, I weigh them out to single serving size (usually 4-5 oz.). I also bargain hunt by going through the flyers and buy them in bulk if possible. We used to eat out a lot, lots of fast foods and stuff, and also used to buy a lot of sweets like doughnuts on impulse, used to go through cases of sodas. Meats are expensive, but for me, the cost if offset by not buying those junk foods.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:13
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hello

If you have a freezer, watch the specials and stock up, my local store has chickens on this week, small fryers and large roasters for .99 a pound, thats Canadian price, so for American that would be around .50 I guess. They are limiting them to 5 per person per day but we go in every day and buy our limit and toss them in the freezer. A couple of weeks ago frozen fish fillets were on sale, I stocked up then too. When you think that here the regular price for chicken is about 1.69lb then if by the end of the week I have bought approx 90 lb of chicken at a saving of .70 per lb then I will have saved 63.00.

When your freezer is well stocked, you are able to buy only whats on sale and still have a wide range of meats to choose from.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:20

Stats: 245/239/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Cutting costs

The Sam's Club, BJ"s and Costco warehouses are usually cheaper than the local meat store and even supermarkets. Especially with the pricier things like NY Strip steaks and 90% fat free chopped meat. Buy, separate, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in a seal top freezer bag, pressing all air out before closing ( to protect your investment).

Learn to buy bulk when stores run loss leaders - this week our local market has chicken leg quarters on sale at 3 pounds for $1.00.

Cheaper cuts of beef are great slow braised, with beef broth and onion powder, then gravy "thickened" with pureed cauliflower..Or , if you are the only one on lo carb, do your regular pot roast, stew, etc. and just remove excess gravy from your portion...

Happy Bargain Hunting...

jeb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:27

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It can seem expensive, and probably is if you eat steak frequently. There were some great bargain shopping tips on the previous responses, following them will help bring the food bill down some. Also remember that you are buying food that is nutrition dense rather than empty calories. Price Cheetos per pound some time.... pretty expensive and virtually no nutrition. Dry cereal is also quite expensive per pound. You really do have to think about what you are getting for your food dollar, then the bill may not seem so high.

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:28

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

We spend about the same, but the savings on beer, wine and spirits actually save us $$$$

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:46

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%

Are the meats at Costco and places like that free of preservatives? I buy from the meat market because everything is so free of added things.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:59

Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I spend less than I use to which is amazing because I buy more veggies than ever. I guess my savings comes from the fact that I use to drink caffeine free diet pepsi like they were going to stop selling it the next day. Close to a 24 oz 6 pack a day. Add that up at minimum $2.50 a pack x 7 days. WOW worse than my terrible cigarette habit. I drink maybe 1 bottle a week now. It amazes me that I don't even miss it.

As for the meats, I stock up at sale time as well. When I first started I went to all the stores and stocked up on everything on sale. It was exspensive that first week, but now I just buy a few meats that are on sale this week to replenish the freezer. Much cheaper this way. If I don't have the money or nothing is on sale it's o.k. because I already have my freezer full. I just wait until the next time. In between the meat buying times I stock up on veggies that are on sale. My cupboards and refridgerator have never been so full.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

We are actually spending less per month for the two of us than we did before Low Carb.

It is true that we shop at Sam's for much of our staples, like eggs, heavy cream, butter, cheese, and cream cheese. And some meat, depending upon what they have.

But we also buy meat at the local supermarket, watching for specials and for in store promotions, and for extra big portions. We then re-package and freeze in quatities for two. It is working like a charm, and we are saving about $30 per month over what we spent BA (before Atkins).

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:59

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Meat and Preservatives

Quote:
Are the meats at Costco and places like that free of preservatives? I buy from the meat market because everything is so free of added things.

Pokey;

Meat does not have preservatives unless they are processed (i.e bologna, sausage etc.).

If you mean organic meat, That will definitely make your grocery bill higher.

I dont know if the BJs or the like stock organic meat or not, maybe worth a try. Meat markets though you can buy in bulk, ie. half or quarter of a cow, If you can split the cost with someone, This brings the cost of meat way down.

Good Luck
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I know I am saving money on the WOL. We eat in restaurants much less frequently, compared to 3-4 times a week. We have only ordered one pizza in a month and a half, and that used to be at LEAST once a week.
I DO watch for sales at the grocery store and stock up as much as I can (small freezer) when my favorites are on sale.
Comparitivly...I am saving at LEAST $100. a month.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:08

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

If you take away the nasty stuff...soda, chips, crackers, CEREAL and use that money toward meat and cheese, I think it comes out to about the same...at least for me!

When a box of cereal cost $4.56 and a case of soda $5.00 right there is almost 10.00 toward meat.

We also don't eat steak ever night. We have alot of eggs and eat tuna fish alot. These really cut down the high cost of meat.

My pet peeve is when people say it is too expensive to eat healthy. It really isn't as long as you know what you are buying. If you buy a ton of fresh meats, cheese and veggies...and them rot in the fridge..yes then it is expensive. But if you stop buying the processed grains, boxed ANTHING, quick meals loaded with carbs and god knows what else..and replace them with fresh meats and veggies..then it is cheaper.

We don't eat prime rib every night. I buy the meats that are on sale that week, and throw in a few egg meals and you have a this woe of eating on a reasonable budget. I love lobster, but I can't afford that every night of the week. Just because I am allowed to eat it doesn't justify that I am going to buiy it all the time.

And what about the health cost issue? what good is it to eat cheap over processed grains and sugars at a cheap price, when you are going to evenutally end up sick?
Eat healthy...stay healthy. You are what you eat!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:08
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%

I find I spend less money because I am no longer a slave to cravings. I used to have food going bad in the fridge, and would go out and buy a bunch of grocercies anyhow because I simply HAD to have lasagna or french fries or whatever. I also eat out less because I no longer have hypoglycemic episodes while I'm out. I just make sure I eat before I go out.

THe first week was bad, but I definetly spend less now.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 14:57

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by Yaseruzo~!
My grocery bills are pretty much the same. I shop twice a month and pack my freezer full of meats, but before I put it in the freezer, I weigh them out to single serving size (usually 4-5 oz.). I also bargain hunt by going through the flyers and buy them in bulk if possible. We used to eat out a lot, lots of fast foods and stuff, and also used to buy a lot of sweets like doughnuts on impulse, used to go through cases of sodas. Meats are expensive, but for me, the cost if offset by not buying those junk foods.

Same here! Someone just asked me this a couple hours ago. I think I probably spend LESS now.

But I do go to Wal Mart and buy large bulk packs and break them up and freeze them. Cheaper that way it seems.