Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Help!

Not nicest subject but I am constipated and dont know what to do. My hubby went to Health food store for flax seed. Lady there recommended flax oil instead (wont get stuck in teeth) I've taken it (2tbsp) for three days now and no relief yet. Should it take that long? I am definitely going to add fiber back into induction cause this is getting ridiculous! I don't know if it should be in the form of berries or wheat bran or what. Any thoughts on that. Also could not being regular mess up my colon???? I am perinoid about such things. Also it is my TOM So I don't know whats cramps or what is pain from being constipated. I just want to be able to go to bathroom on a daily basis, like before. Is that too much to ask????? Will I go less since I am on atkins? I just worry that my insides are getting all messed up. Thanks. Ellen

Should mention on week three and weight is coming off nicely. So that I am happy about but gotta get this problem fixed! Soon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 08:10

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hi and Congrats on your weight loss and getting started! Just my opinion - but I wouldn't add any extra fiber to your diet right now. It is normal to go through these changes as our bodies adjust to an entirely new way of eating. The body has its own wisdom and will "go" when it needs to. Make sure you are getting your veggies in, drink more water, and walking is good too. Being regular is really our thing and the body does a good job of taking care of itself. And it will adjust! Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 09:58

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Red face So sorry

Everyone gets constipated once in a while....these are suggestions how to prevent this from happening (which I myself do):

1. Make sure you have 2-3 cup greens every day (romaine, radichio, etc..)

2. Keep protein at no more than 25% of your daily consumption - too much protein can bind you (and this includes cheese)

3. Drink water! throughout the day - - especially before and after meals!

4. Oil! extra sald dressing or olive oil when preparing meats aids in a "smooth" process.

Watch the nuts too...they are known binders...this includes nut butters.

Hope you feel better soon
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Flax oil is a great supplement but it won't help you with constipation unless you take large quantities, which is not recommended.

Ground flax seed - make sure it's in the refrigerated when you buy it - will definitely help with constipation and so will high fiber vegetables like spinach and other leafy greens.

Here's a couple of links to using flax:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&highlight=flax

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&highlight=flax

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:36

Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default a lot of people would not recommend this

(and I hope I dont get yelled at) but I take Correctol. Just one usually does the trick. I think in induction they recommend psylium husks (?) just make sure whatever it is that theres no sugar in it
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 14:36
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Thanks!

I'll try to give most of the above a shot. Karen can I eat Flax-O-Meal on induction? I hate to go back to health food store. The bottle of Flax Oil itself cost around $11.50 my hubby said the Flax Seed was around $12.00. I'll buy it if I have to, but the Flax o Meal sounds more appealing to me. They are flavored! my sweet tooth would like that! Thanks again for all your suggestions. Well off to eat a large salad! Ellen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 14:58

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm constipation prone too, but I've been eating a lot of broccoli and other high fiber veggies. I'm not much for salad greens, so I usually stick to the "other veggies" on Atkins list. I also use psyllium and colate which acts as a stool softener. It took a few days, but I'm going at least once a day every morning. I'm in my 4th week of induction, but I make sure I eat at least 20g. of carbs a day. That's after I subtract the fiber count. I hope you feel better soon!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:13

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Well I might get yelled at here too but I have a theory on this subject.
You are changing your eating habits and your bowel habits will change too! Your body is using most of what you are putting into it for building blocks there is just a small amount of waste. You may not be constipated at all.
Now the part people may not like.
I have had dogs all my life and have dealt with a lot of poopers.
Way back when we fed dogs cheap, grain laden kibble, they were pooping all the time , big poops all over the yard. When we switched them to a better quality diet consisting of more protien their poopers were much smaller, compact and less frequent!
(Think of coyotes for example if they pooped all over their territory as dogs do they would destroy the territory after a short time). I also raise cattle and as most know they eat basically grain and fibre and oooh look at what they put out!
So what I am saying is we are putting better quality food into our bodies and we can expect to see some changes too. This is a natural diet and if you look at humans living in a natural setting. (No plumbing and sewage treatment plants). You would find that they are not up to their ankles in poopers because everyone is not putting out everyday, everywhere. I hope that is not too harsh, it is just the best way I can explain it.
Give you body at least four or five weeks to get used to the changes and drink water to keep hydrated.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:13

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A good point

Hi all,

Fortunately, I've never experienced this problem, but I think Ruralgirl is making a good point.

Just like dogs eating a high quality dog food, astronauts eat a "low residual" diet. For them, it is healthy and practical. Dogs, like humans, are omnivorous. They'll eat anything. And a change to a high quality diet, which almost always means low residual, makes a dramatic difference in the pooper-scooper department.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 18:13

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

WHEW!!!
Thanks Arrow, for a better scientific explanation of what I was trying to say!
Hope you are feeling better too, Geel
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 19:00

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Second that motion

Ruralgirl has said the exact same thing I have said several times. Less junk in, less junk out. Kind of like the accounting principle, garbage in, garbage out! My DH refuses to feed the dog anything but her Science Diet for sensitive stomaches. He calls everything else "land mine makers!" (Nice visual, huh!!!)

Now, I WILL get yelled at for this one, but if you ABSOLUTELY must go, eat a few sf chocolates with malitol. I splurged yesterday and had two bite-size pieces at the same time, and the pipes are unplugged. Not the healthies way to do it, but if you are in agony, I can almost guarantee it will help. I would only recommend this if you are in agony!!!!

Okay, now really, please no one yell at me, I am saying it is not a good way to do it, but if you are seriously struggling and it is a HUGE problem, this is a way to solve it!

Amy