Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 10:29

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

I will agree with you to a certain extent. However, I don't believe bread, doughnuts, or other refined carbs are natural for us, nor the other long list of ingredients that are hard to prounounce in many of the manufactured processed foods today. While our ancient ancestors may have ground various grains, and possibly used something like honey, agave, pureed fruit, or such, they didnt' use refined flours or sugars. Further, I believe that a lot of the nutrients today, even in unrefined gains, have been lost.

Finally, I will say that prior to cutting carbs, I had a lot of inflammation and joint pain that went away when I reduced my carbs. I do eat a few carbs with each meal (~15-25). However, I try to stick with natural whole "starch foods" such as some fruits, or veggies such as starchy squash, legumes, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc., as well as some dairy and nuts.

Just as some people have weight issues and others don't, regardless of diet and exercise (I have some very thin family members who don't exercise and consume all kinds of junk - - yet I've always been attentive, yet had weight problems) - - people are individuals and what works well for one person will not necessarily work well for another. Some can handle more carbs than others. But I don't think that we can compare bread and doughnuts to naturally occuring fruits and vegetables, which also have been significantly altered over the course of evoluation.