Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:59

Plan: my own combination
Stats: 349/320/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default female problems

Okay... I started eating less carbs starting Jan 6th. I have pretty much had a light period since I started losing some weight. I know in the past I have gotten my period when I had any kind of weight loss. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And I am wondering how long I will be having this spotting/light period. I have to wear a pad EVERYDAY and it's getting to be a pain. I welcome any input or advice that doesn't have the phrase "go to the doctor" in it. I am open to advice, but I will be honest... there is no way I am going to the doctor for it until I feel more comfortable with my body. I may sound absolutely ridiculous.. but I know what I am like and I know that I would be non compliant with seeing a doctor at this point in time. So, if anyone else has had this problem and can relate.. please share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 15:05
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm not sure how usual this is... you should check with your doctor though to make sure it isn't anything organic.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: Eat only low carbs no specific one
Stats: 240/202/200
BF:
Progress: 95%

I just posted something like this today. My cycle was every 21 days, its been like that as long as I can remember. I got it recently 9 days after my 21 cycle. I was worried but I heard that happens a lot and its normal.

If I understand correctly though do you mean it happens to you every day. If yes, I don't think that's normal, if that was my case I would go to a doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Hello

I know you said you wanted advice without the phrase:: Go to the doc. I personally have not experienced this ,but I do know that drastic dieting such as fasting can cause one to skip periods. However I do not know anything about them causing constant spotting. I'm sorry but honestly I believe you should be checked out.. You could have cysts or some other female problem that needs medical attention. Not to scare you and I know you say that you are not comfortable going to the doc,but it is so imortant . And just think how relieved you'll be to go and put your mind at ease. No woman wants to have a pap smear we all HATE gynocologist's.. but hun it is so important for your health to make sure all is well with your body. Sorry that was most likely not what you want to hear,but is true. Take care and God Bless

Shannon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 235/218/150
BF:
Progress: 20%

no girl on this earth, big or small, enjoys the gynecologist or feels comfortable there. have you never been to one? the first time i went i was 17 and i was scared out of my mind. but god am i thankful i got that overwith. i have had a lot of problems and if it werent for going to the doctor i would have never found out about them. about a year ago after a routine pap smear i was informed i had an abnormality in my cervix that would lead to cancer. all it took was that word-CANCER and i thanked heavens i went. trust me i hate it more than anyone i know.....but just remember, the doctor you go probably sees at least 10 vaginas every day, on all sizes and shapes of women...so it isnt like hes going to single you out and judge you. trust me you want to suck it up and go find out if something is wrong. if i wouldnt have been brave and went, i could be dead right now, or had to have a historectomy and have to face the thought of never being able to have babies....at 19 i braved through 2 surgeries on my cervix and uterus and i lived........im sure you can find the strength to go for a routine exam. i hope you do, even though i know you didnt want to hear this. but it is so important to go to the doctor routinely and get checked up on. please think about it and remember, the doc wont judge you, they are just concerned about your health and they care about you. hope everything is ok.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 04:56
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

There is a huge thread dealing with low carb and possible effects on TOM at Ladies Read Please.

If breakthrough bleeding is common for you, the release of estogen when you lose weight will cause it for a while, especially if on hormones.

Beth