Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 07:31

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Question Need things for energy as on a hike?

I am doing an 8 hour orienteering hike across Kinder Scout (a mountain albeit a tiny one in the UK) up quite steep gradients and in gulleys and up peat hags in the cold, possibly rainy and hopefully not too snowy..... etc etc.... I am sure that you possibly get the picture here...... but as the others with whom I am going are going to take their Kendal cake (pure sugar horribleness) and energy bars and their protein bars..... I am at a bit of a loss at what to take to boost my energy. I thought of nuts to nibble if needs be. I am having a cooked brekkie (bacon, eggs, mushrooms) then onwards and upwards so to speak, stopping for luncheon. I am taking a salad with lettuce, cherry tom, a radish, 2 or 3 oz of ham, 1 oz cheese and water. Water may be a bit of a prob that day too as there are no loo's on the way nor the way back..... therefore perhaps not a lot of drinking that day, which is a bit of a worry cos I really need and like my water.
Has anyone any suggestions at all, please....? Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:48

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

A very good friend who was a really serious mountain person, always took little tins of sardines. He said they were the best and most nourishing calories weight for weight. He didn't rate sugar or chocolate. On a recent day out with no access to food, I took cooked LC sausages and hard boiled eggs. You could have a little pot of mayo or mustard.

Have a good trip
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:55
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I recently took a long hike, although not as long as you are planning (mine was 2-1/2 hours through hilly terrain). I ate a big breakfast first -- bacon, omelet, the whole works. That really gave me energy all day. I didn't get tired or hungry while hiking.

I think nuts are a good idea -- they have both fat and protein.

I remember years ago (back when I weighed well under 200 pounds), going on an arduous five day back-packing trip with a friend who brought along all sorts of high carb goodies (trail mix, chocolate, etc.). Despite the number of calories we must have burned on that trip, I actually gained weight. Even when hiking, we don't need all those carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 11:23

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

lucyr and Liz175 Thanks for your replies - it does help knowing that there are people out there who can offer help, cos I never thought of sardines so that will be a thing I shall definately take - thank you for that... and you are right Liz175 choccies etc are a no no besides they make you quite thirsty on the best of times... but sardines and sausages are a jolly good idea. The things we do hey?
Have great weekends yourselves
x