Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default does meat promote stomach acidity?

does it or does high carb only promotes stomach acidity?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 12:26

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi jtan!

For about 15 years I took tablets everyday to surpress teh production of acid in my stomach. Now I don't take them and the acid has gone away - and I eat loads of meat. At Christmas I went back on a "normal" diet including carbs and guess what? The acid came back.

I'd say carbs cause acid - at least with me they do!

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 12:55

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I don't know about stomach acid, but I suffered from unexplained stomach pain for years. Docs dx IBS and GERd even though I didn't match the symptoms of either. Then I lC'd for my blood sugar, all of a sudden I started losing weight and now also I NEVER have the pain unless I carb up.

So theres definitely a connection.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 21:44

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default stomach acid

According to what I have read, stomach acid problems are actually caused by not having ENOUGH stomach acid, therefore food is not being digested properly. Taking digestive enzymes helps with digestion, and helps with acid as well. Some amino acids help, among them L-glutamine.

I am not sure why low carb helps with acid reflux, etc. I think (and I am no doctor or scientist) that eating low carb is easier on the digestive system, therefore things run more smoothly. Sugars are hard to digest, as are grains, for some people. I know that, myself, have had minimal stomach problems while low-carbing.

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 17:08

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Eating low carb has made a world of difference in my stomach acid. I had to take Pepcid complete EVERY SINGLE NIGHT without failure or I would be wide awake for sure a few hours after I went to bed. Not so much as a twinge of reflux since I started low carbing. A big reason for me to stay away from carbs. Vonnie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 20:17

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I had acid reflux so bad that water gave me heartburn... any sort of salad had me in the bathroom all night long. A banana would literally bring me to my knees in tears for the pain of heartburn. I took prevacid every day for nearly two years. I stopped taking it but still had occasional flare ups and bathroom problems

After starting Atkin's I've not had heart burn or indigestion problems one single time. My stomach has cleared up... no gas problems and no bathroom problems.

I'd say its NOT the Low Carb or meat that's causing it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm in the same boat. I've had acid reflux for years and lived on pepcid. Before I got a prescription, I was up to 4 over the counter pepcids a day. I used to think it was red meat that was causing me a lot of problems like heartburn and constipation, but ever since I started on Atkins, I've only had one heartburn and that was when I ate cucumbers with seeds. I know it sounds gross, but I used to go without pooping for days, sometimes up to a week. I was in such pain! 3 weeks into Atkins, I'm going every morning like clockwork.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 04:39

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you happen to be blood type A you may want to try sticking to only fish and fowl for a week or two and see how that does. If it cures the problem then continue to stay away from red meats. If you are blood type B don't eat chicken or cornish hen, but turkey is OK as is red meat and fish. If you are blood type O you should do ok with red meat, or any meat for that matter. For all blood types, try to really limit your pork intake, especially if you are subject to bloating. For any blood type getting stomach irritation, try cutting out the nightshade veggies, especially tomatoes and see if that helps.