Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%
Question Antibiotics and hunger

The Dr. prescribed a course of antibiotics for me yesterday and I woke up famished this morning. I've been on the Atkins program (various stages) for over a year and actually wanting food in the morning is highly unusual.

I did eat more last night than I am accustomed to, but it was all low carb, natural food. I am wondering if it is the antibiotics or my pig out which is making me feel this way.

Your thoughts, please.

So far today I've had 2 fried eggs and large slice of prime rib. This is way more than I generally eat by this time of day and I still feel hungry.

Thank you,

Carrollee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 12:24
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Carrollee,

If you are sick enough to be prescribed antibiotics and you are hungry, you should eat. This is not a good time to try to restrict food intake -- your body needs nutrition. (Actually, in general on low carbing, if you feel hungry you should eat. Once all the excess carbs are gone from your system, your body should do a good job of informing you how much food you need.)

Could it be your recovery from your illness that is making you so hungry? I was sick last week and my doctor gave me antibiotics. The day I started to feel better, I was ravenous because I hadn't been eating enough all week because of the illness. Now I'm back to my usual portions. I don't think it was the antibiotics that made me hungry -- it was the recovery from my illness.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 15:59

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Liz,

Thank you for your response. I hope you are fully recovered from your illness.

The antibiotics were not prescribed for an illness, thou I do have a slight cold, but a preventive measure for an injury I received from an uncooked piece of poultry. The Dr. seemed to think I was at risk for infection. I'm sure my coughing and runny nose also factored in there someplace.

Thanks again,

Carrollee