Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-10, 22:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/340/135 Female 5'6 1/2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Making a fresh start on 1/1/2011?

Uggghh.

I hate to be a big fat cliche by starting a diet (or way of eating) on January 1st, but I have had the darndest time trying to start Induction during the holidays...meaning, pretty much since Halloween! Because WOW, I completely underestimate how hard it is to try to dig in your heels and do the right thing while everyone is eating chocolates and baking delicious things, nevermind just the hustle and bustle of all the goings on. I suppose I'm just using the holidays as an excuse- it's brutal any time of year!

I've had so many starts and stops I can't even count them. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on pigging out like a maniac for the next 2 weeks, probably try to keep the carbs low in general.

Anyone else feeling this way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-10, 01:45

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Maintenance is usually my holiday goal. And you're right, the sugar surge really does start around the end of October until about January 2nd. But, two times in my life I've done differently and they stand out as watershed moments in my life. Times I've truly been proud of myself. The first time was right before I conceived my first son. I made a goal of actually losing weight between Thanksgiving and New Years, 10 pounds. I lost 12 and still glory in that success. I've done the same this year. I started trying to lose weight again in October and determined that this year, I would lose weight during the holidays. So far, so good. You really just have to find what works for you and what makes you feel good about yourself. If maintenance is good for you, then that's a very good goal. For me, I'm getting impatient to get this d#mn weight off! I don't want to lose any ground over the holidays. But like I said, some years I feel differently. Have a wonderful holiday season and make sure to love yourself!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-10, 08:31
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I started during this time of year last year. Actually, 3 or 4 days before Halloween. I was hell bent on losing, and I got 40lbs off between then and the end of the year. This year, I am happy to just maintain my loss through the holidays. I'll start my big push for the last 10 when they are past. I am usually dead against putting things off, but I am just leaving the cruise control on this holiday season.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-10, 19:33

Stats: 315/255.4/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Ht. 5'11"
Progress: 51%

I wanted to post in this thread too. I am starting on January 3rd. There is no way I could start now during Christmas time. I would be setting myself up for total failure. I did this WOE about 10 years ago and lost 65 pounds. Then like a lot of others, I thought I could go back to eating anything and everything and the weight came right back on and then some. I am tired of carrying around all this extra weight and I know low-carb works when you follow the rules.

I am introducing myself here because I am now in the position where I have to lose over 100 lbs. I never thought things would get this bad but denial is so powerful. If I ignore the mirror and the scale, I'm not really that fat, am I? Sheesh, what a lie we tell ourselves..... I've been lurking here for a week or two, reading up on things and getting the lay of the land, so to speak. I will formally introduce myself in one of the Introduction threads soon.

I wanted to say that I am very inspired by many of you who have lost over 100lbs. I know that it's possible and it gives me hope that I can do it too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-10, 00:21

Plan: south beach
Stats: 387/340/200 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up

SkippySue, your honesty and candor are refreshing and inspiring. I too am one of the mirror and scale avoiders and have also gained back all I have lost (and plus). I am new here and find the posts, stories, and photos uplifting and inspirational. If we all stick to it we can get where we want to go. Tonight I did the "stand in front of the mirror for the honest truth" thing and did not like what I saw. Although I have lost some of the weight back that I have regained I still have a long way to go. I believe with the support I find here I have a much better chance losing it and keeping it off.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-10, 21:59

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

I am starting on Sunday or Monday. Already I have gotten rid of a lot of the food and have geared up by reading and trying to decide what plan I would like to follow after I do a period of induction.

I was here in 2004 and 2005 and am coming back to the boards within 12 pounds of when I left. I have never regained up to my heaviest weight, but haven't dropped as much weight as I have wanted to.

Krys, I read your stuff. Good going. Great progress.

Right now my mini goal is to lose to 235 and that will put me at having only 100 pounds to lose. That is where I ran away at last time. I was scared of who I was and what was happening. I don't plan on running this time.

So I will be around and tackling TDC again, but I won't wait for the new year. Have a good one, everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-10, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins combination
Stats: 278.8/269/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am starting (again) today after months of illness sidetracked me - hoping to help myself heal with eating plan as well. Never ever thought I would be this size, but medications have contributed to this as well and I am horrified. You know, it's amazing if you look at yourself waist up, face on in the mirror - it doesn't look that bad (you can tell yourself), but try a hand mirror from an angle...WOW. Frightening. I have celiac disease and know I cannot under any circumstances eat WHEAT because it is poison to me, now I have tell my brain the same thing about CARBS.

deb g
KY
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-10, 13:00

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I allowed myself to go off on Christmas Eve and my husband and I are starting strict induction today. I can't believe how much I was looking forward to getting back on track. I don't miss that carb bloat and feeling so tired all the time. I ate REALLY bad this week (chocolate, bread buns, pizza, hor douvres) and as of this morning I am up 4 pounds. Not as horrific as I thought and I know if I get right back on plan it will come off as quickly as it came on.
So getting a jumpstart on the next year of my life in this lifestyle and my goal for 2011 is to reach a weight that makes me happy whether that is 200 pounds or 140!
Good luck to everyone!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-11, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I did it...I started in (again) yesterday and just want to know where has my brain been all this time? I am down four pounds from yesterday and felt so much better all day yesterday. (and of course this morning when I got on the scale)

deb g
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-11, 20:01

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I had a goal of losing 70 lbs last year. I almost made it, lost 62 (yes so close to goal.. its a shame) and then got soooo tired of the struggle that we started to slip. Holidays came and I went a bit too far. I came in the year at losing 50lbs though and am starting the year out again with a goal of 70lbs again.

I think this year I will be more prepared and I think that the holidays will be better too. I will definitely have a goal over the holidays ---even if it is just to maintain my losses. I am still very proud of what I accomplished last year and I will do more this year. Its a slow process...but well worth it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 08:05
Registered Member

BF:

OMG don't call a 62 pound loss a "shame"! That's amazing! You did great and will do even better this year.

deb g
KY
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 13:19

Stats: 315/255.4/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Ht. 5'11"
Progress: 51%

Good Luck, Livewell! you can do it!

Just keep swimming!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 17:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Well I'm starting over again after eating everything and going off plan for the month of dec.The good thing that has come out of this is I don't like how I feel on all the carbage!!! I am bloated,blood sugar out of control,swollen feet,lethargic,full of gas,strong urine ,(not drinking my water) and could sleep around the clock with no energy!!!!This is my fresh start.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 21:53

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Recovery plan... that's what I call it when I go completely off my eating plan and need to get back on track. Just like an alcoholic recovers, this sugarholic needs to recover.

We are all human and I believe it's unreal to think that I will never eat a piece of pizza, a huge chuck on fudge or a hamburger. I believe it is very real to plan to recover from enjoying something that I really like.

Dr. Cobb has kept 100+ off for 5 years. She shared with me that she lives by the 3 pound rule. She stays on plan M-F and allows 'wiggle' room on the weekends. If the scale goes up 3 pounds, then she transitions back to induction phase for a week.

This is what I did over the holidays. Once the scale went up 3 pounds, I went back to induction... my recovery plan.

Just some ideas.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 22:04
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldypgmr
Dr. Cobb has kept 100+ off for 5 years. She shared with me that she lives by the 3 pound rule. She stays on plan M-F and allows 'wiggle' room on the weekends. If the scale goes up 3 pounds, then she transitions back to induction phase for a week.

This is exactly how I've been keeping my 120 lbs off for the last 5 yrs too!!
I guess that I'm in good company with your Dr Cobb.