Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/275/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Huh?

I recently had a surgeon at work say to me that bariatric patients have a lot of emotional pathology. I'm fat, I pointed out, although I thought it was rather obvious. "The bigger you are, the more pathology" Huh? Maybe its the way you treat those patients. I had really respected her before this.

I finding that the popular theory rolling around bariatric centers now is that super obese (100 lbs overweight or more) have been emotionally, sexually, or phsically abused as children or adults, and need counseling as well as diet. Doesn't count if you already had counselling, you need emotional eating counseling. There may be truth in that, however I'm thinking its a wallet-ectomy they are interested in. I know there are bariatric docs who really care about helping people, but I'm beginning to get depressed if surgeons who work alongside bariatric surgeons think that all fat people are "a little crazy". Maybe its because you treat us like we are crazy. Maybe its because you immediately assume its because we are fat (and crazy) that we are a little anxious when you come into the room. I also know for a fact that fat people are emotionally abused by many people because they are fat. The fat actually came first. So yes, counseling can help, but don't assume the abuse. I know I was abused as a child, and recieved counseling, and was thin before the counseling, and kept the weight off for 14 years.

So hmmm, what do you think? Are we fat because of emotional issues or do we have emotional issues because we are fat, or is it something else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:27

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Good question, Rapiddash. I've done the whole Overeaters Annonymous thing and while it did help, it never actually solved my problem. I do eat for emotional reasons, that I'm well aware of. I was molested as a child, and had a very unsatisfactory relationship with my Homecoming Queen mother who never stopped reigning. She felt she deserved better then an Ugly Duckling Daughter... or a Cow, as she used to call me.
So yeah, for me, childhood things did cause me to turn to food and its taken me a lifetime of reading, talking, attending meetings, etc, to get to where I even recognized my emotional relationship with food as a problem. The thing that helps me the most is a low carb diet because it lessens my cravings and helps with my gastrointestinal problems. But to go into a doctors office and have my problems be dismissed because I'm overweight, I resent that, and it happens more times then not.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiddash
I recently had a surgeon at work say to me that bariatric patients have a lot of emotional pathology. I'm fat, I pointed out, although I thought it was rather obvious. "The bigger you are, the more pathology" Huh? Maybe its the way you treat those patients. I had really respected her before this.

I finding that the popular theory rolling around bariatric centers now is that super obese (100 lbs overweight or more) have been emotionally, sexually, or phsically abused as children or adults, and need counseling as well as diet.

Doesn't count if you already had counselling, you need emotional eating counseling. There may be truth in that, however I'm thinking its a wallet-ectomy they are interested in. I know there are bariatric docs who really care about helping people, but I'm beginning to get depressed if surgeons who work alongside bariatric surgeons think that all fat people are "a little crazy". Maybe its because you treat us like we are crazy. Maybe its because you immediately assume its because we are fat (and crazy) that we are a little anxious when you come into the room. I also know for a fact that fat people are emotionally abused by many people because they are fat. The fat actually came first. So yes, counseling can help, but don't assume the abuse. I know I was abused as a child, and recieved counseling, and was thin before the counseling, and kept the weight off for 14 years.

So hmmm, what do you think? Are we fat because of emotional issues or do we have emotional issues because we are fat, or is it something else?

I would wager that if a poll was taken of us "super obese (100 lbs overweight or more)," that an overwhelming number of us would have experienced some sort of dysfunctional period during our childhood.

For myself, I was the son of alcoholic parents.

I have no doubt that such experiences played a role in my obesity. To what degree, I have no idea. Recognizing and taking into account such dysfunctional problems from our childhood can do nothing but help in our healing.

Likewise, thinking that such childhood drama is the SOLE reason for our obesity, and throwing up our hands and saying, "Its because of what was done to me and I might as well accept that I can't do anything to change" is ludicrous!

Just my two-cents.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 07:51

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have been doing alot of self reflection because I am writing a book about my journey. Part of that was writing my "story" and pulling out memories that stand out in my mind. It is amazing when you analyse your past how everything begins to make sense. I can remember the exact instance where I equated food with love and comfort. I can remember learning to reward myself with food. I remember the moment where I stopped being athletic for fear of humiliation. But it was not until I started being really honest with myself and writing my story that I saw those experiences for what they were.
That being said I feel that the past is the past. Once you know how you got here, there is no need to replay it over and over again. We have to look towards the future and what we want for ourselves. This is my issue with alot of counselling. It focusses alot on the why and how of the past instead of on the why and how of the future.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 14:03

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

It seems that my overeating started out as a control issues. My mom said no and I was going to get my way if I had to buy it myself and eat in my closet (which I did many, many times). As I gained weight, I used the food to soothe my disappointments. Even now, I want to use food to comfort me...on good and bad days.

I think we all need to learn coping skills. That's what I learned in therapy. It's okay to feel the feelings and the feelings are just feelings - they have no power over me.

As for bariatric surgeons, I was actually turned down because the psychology reports came back that I wasn't a good fit. They told me to wait a year and come back...well, that was 3 years ago and I'm so glad I didn't have surgery and have committed myself (again & again) to LC. My dad's doctor had him change some of his answers on the psych test, so my dad could be cleared for surgery. He had the surgery in 2007 and he's gained all the weight back. Looking back on it, I'm glad my surgery was denied and I wish my dad's was too. My dad's on LC now...so that's a good thing.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 18:55

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Why don't we do a study on a large group of people with "healthy weights" and see how many of them had tumultuous childhoods and emotional issues that have followed them into adulthood. I bet the percentages will be similar to those who are overweight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 19:12
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Food was my drug of choice for many years. I have an extremely dysfunctional family. Many people grow up in dysfunctional families and have learned various coping mechanisms, some positive, some negative. Mine were mostly negative: recreational drugs, spending too much money, repeated bad relationships, and then finally, food.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-10, 21:14

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I wonder if it's more reflective of the kind of people who seek out bariatric care? For me, I say no to this (I was pudgy already as a very young child at 4). I have learned through this board that there really are "closet eaters" (I always thought this was a bizarre urban legend). And I've seen the toll of emotional eating on people, although I wonder about the opiate properties of food and whether or not it's more of a chemical addiction. Alcoholism and sugar/grains addiction seem to go together in families. Which came first?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDansyr
Why don't we do a study on a large group of people with "healthy weights" and see how many of them had tumultuous childhoods and emotional issues that have followed them into adulthood.

I bet the percentages will be similar to those who are overweight.

If you're saying that if we compare a large group of people who have never had weight issues to a group that has been "morbidly obese," and that their experiences regarding a dysfunctional childhood would be about the same............then I'll take that bet!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 06:40

BF:

Quote:
Why don't we do a study on a large group of people with "healthy weights" and see how many of them had tumultuous childhoods and emotional issues that have followed them into adulthood. I bet the percentages will be similar to those who are overweight.

I'm thinking what you're thinking!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 06:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I wonder if it's more reflective of the kind of people who seek out bariatric care? For me, I say no to this (I was pudgy already as a very young child at 4). I have learned through this board that there really are "closet eaters" (I always thought this was a bizarre urban legend). And I've seen the toll of emotional eating on people, although I wonder about the opiate properties of food and whether or not it's more of a chemical addiction. Alcoholism and sugar/grains addiction seem to go together in families. Which came first?

I really think it is more addiction related and I am insulted that a group of surgeons, who I thought respected me, would just assume I'm a victim of my "issues" and have "emotional pathology" making me crazy. If you can't respect me as a charge nurse on a busy unit, stay out! (Only in my dreams, I would never have the balls to say that to a surgeon) (Not that I have balls)

I would have to look at who participated in the study.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 07:19

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Back before I became a stay-at-home mom, I spent ten years working in the medical field. Doctors are people - all with varied personalities and opinions just like any other "group." I will say, while we're "grouping" people, most of the surgeons I knew had god syndromes (though not all). Regardless, there's nothing wrong with voicing an objective opinion to them ... as it exPANDS their thinking minds.

I know several individuals that are not overweight or obese who have all kinds of "emotional pathology" from childhood. People are individuals and every single reacts differently with how they cope. In fact, one of them eats anything she wants whenever she wants, with a particular love of sweets, and just has a "lucky" metabolism. Another used to, beyond also eating whatever she wanted, drink milk shakes to try to gain weight and didn't "succeed" until after her fourth child at the age of 40. A couple others I know are still at the low end of their "healthy weight" for their height. Several others I know are at the high end or just slightly over.

So, while I don't doubt that many bariatric patients have plenty of "emotional pathology," they are NOT an exclusive club and Mr/s. Godhead would do well to be told this to be encouraged to think outside the box.

I challenge that emotional pathology covers a significant population, spanning all weights.

Remember, while surgeons may be good at what they do, there are plenty of things of which they're entirely clueless. Many forget this.

ETA: Some of it may be addiction and some of it may be bad metabolism and insulin resistance that MANY doctors aren't well educated in treating properly (which starts with a low carb diet). My FIL is now a full-blown diabetic with kidney disease because his doctor told him that he could continue eating his high carb, SAD diet when first diagnosed with type II diabetes. All the doctor did was put him on glucophage. Sadly, this is too common. The vast majority of the population still believes what they're being told about eating "plenty of healthy grains" and eating low-fat, following the same old food pyramid and doctors are unknowingly destroying their patients lives.

Last edited by MoonDansyr : Fri, Nov-19-10 at 07:26.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-10, 21:50

Plan: ADF
Stats: 375/235.9/165 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Yeah, I like this one. I'm fat - but I don't think I have emotional problems worse than anyone else's. I think I'm *much* more stable emotionally than either of my two slender sisters - who always seem to fly off the wall at the least provocation. I was never abused as a child. I did have a really difficult relationship with my mom - but actually a better relationship than either of my two slender sisters had with her. And all three of us agree that my dad was just about a saint on earth and we all adored him - though he had his moments too. His humor was always a bit on the biting and sarcastic side, though I often think he never realized that sometimes it upset people.

But in general I'd say I probably had a better childhood than 90% of the people on the planet. My two slender sisters both moan about their "unhappy childhood" but we lived in a very nice home, a house full of books with parents who read to us every night when we were little, took us on lovely vacations every year, gave us nice birthday parties and full Christmases, took us on day trips and to museums and things. I want to bang my sisters' heads again the wall sometime and say "sheesh, get over it".

My son claims I am the only stable and level-headed one of the three sisters and more than once has told me he's so glad that *I* am his mom rather than either of my two slender and beautiful sisters. I don't see that being fat means you must have any serious emotional problems at all - either before or after the fact of fatness.

Yeah, I sometimes get *frustrated* about my slow weight loss, and an occasional brief "why me?" wallow, but that's a far cry, IMHO, for having major emotional issues.

Last edited by Merpig : Sun, Nov-21-10 at 21:56.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-10, 22:00

Plan: ADF
Stats: 375/235.9/165 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
My FIL is now a full-blown diabetic with kidney disease because his doctor told him that he could continue eating his high carb, SAD diet when first diagnosed with type II diabetes. All the doctor did was put him on glucophage. Sadly, this is too common.
Yeah, exactly the same thing that happened with my dad in his late 50s, when diagnosed as T2. Doctor also put him on glucophage and didn't suggest he do anything else. My dad (like my mom) was a super-carboholic, and so continued, to the end of his days, to eat a diet consisting of Dunkin Donuts, Entenmann's coffee cakes, pizza, pie from the supermarket, cookies from the supermarket, fast-food burgers with buns, etc. However he lived another 25 years after his diagnosis and never really developed any complications from diabetes at all. Unless depression could be considered a complication. The last few years of his life he was depressed a lot, but totally refused to acknowledge it. These days, in light of my newer knowledge, I tend to think that was more related to his his thyroid issues not being properly controlled.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-10, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack
I would wager that if a poll was taken of us "super obese (100 lbs overweight or more)," that an overwhelming number of us would have experienced some sort of dysfunctional period during our childhood.

For myself, I was the son of alcoholic parents.

I have no doubt that such experiences played a role in my obesity. To what degree, I have no idea. Recognizing and taking into account such dysfunctional problems from our childhood can do nothing but help in our healing.

Likewise, thinking that such childhood drama is the SOLE reason for our obesity, and throwing up our hands and saying, "Its because of what was done to me and I might as well accept that I can't do anything to change" is ludicrous!

Just my two-cents.

Small correction here, super obese is not 100# overweight. A BMI of 40 is morbidly obese, a BMI of 50 is super obese. Usually 150-200# overweight is SO.