Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 11:08

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Question Hi, I have a question about snacks

I've just been reading here for a few days. Great information, great people! I'm on my fourth week of Somersizing and doing ok. Lost a bunch of weight my first couple of weeks and then plateaued, but I'm back to losing again as of yesterday. Yea!
I'm particularly pleased because I was sick yesterday and cheated with a bowl of Cream of Mushroom soup. Only 9 carbs per serving ... but the whole can is 2.5 servings. Yeah right! Plus it has wheat flour, which is a no no for SS. No weight gain this morning and I feel good again. Whew!

I have the worst time in the evenings when my husband gets home and we're watching a movie, reading or playing video games for an hour or so before bed. I want munchies of some sort and a toddy. The toddy I'm ok with but the snacks are harder to do without. I've got Suzanne's chocolate truffles, but I allow myself only one a day and they just don't last long, you know? Same for a slice of cheese or an apple and I really don't want a portion of a dessert so much as something I can munch while I watch a movie, especially if I go visit friends so I don't covet their popcorn and potato chips etc.

Lots of neighborhood get-togethers here too, so more need for something I can have to keep my mind off what THEY'RE having. I do veggies and dip ok, but what's crunchy that I can have? I used to be able to get some dehydrated veggies at the health food store, but I can't find them anymore. besides, no carrots and there were carrots in those.

We went to a movie last week and there was NOT ONE THING at the theater that I could have. And I chose the SS program because seemed to be the most well rounded and the easiest to stick LC plan IMOP. It was so frustrating I am inclined not to go to movies anymore just to avoid the temptation. I wonder what I might take with me that I could sneak in and munch?

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 11:16

BF:
Default Oops, got the wrong forum!

Guess this should have been in Newbie's questions. I don't see where I can move it myself. Maybe someone will do that for me? Sorry!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 11:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi.

Look down the homepage for the forum. Under Kitchen: Lowcarb Recipes, there is a whole section on quick meals and snacks. Things like cheese crisps should help solve your problem.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 12:39

BF:
Default Thanks, there are some great ideas there!

Wish I could stomach pork rinds, but they make me ill. They seem to be the only light/crispy chip kinda thing allowed on LC. I just have a texture craving thing sometimes. Maybe the SS parmesan cheese breading will do the trick on things. I loaned my book to my neighbor and now I'm REALLY sorry! Thought the others I ordered would be here by now. Soon...

Thanks for the help!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:15

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Pickle

I know I have the same problem, but I do go to the movies...I do like pig skins..They are really good when put in a bowl then sprayed with butter spray and then sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on top and microwaved for about 30-60 seconds depending on your microwave. start with the 30 seconds though. I have let mine go too long and they'll get soggy. .Last time we went to the movies I took a dill pickle and cheese sticks with me and bought a diet drink. ...The dill pickle helped with the salty taste I craved when smelling in the popcorn..I also took the pork rinds..Perhaps at night you could put cheddar cheese on top of the rinds and place into the microwave to melt...as little time as possible...This might help you disquise the taste...At home you might try celery stick with cream cheese inside.. That's what I had this afternoon...Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 18:40

Stats: 237/178/150 Female 5 feet, 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Beef jerky!!! Unfortunately the texture you're craving is not there, but it's so portable and flavourful, I love it!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 09:51

Stats: 249/249/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I eat machedamia nuts often for snacking--they're
really good and don't seem to stall me. I think they're
the lowest carb nut out there. There are expensive,
however. I haven't tried buying them bulk, but that's
probably the way to go.

Good luck

Jill
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 12:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

How about shell on pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds? A plate of celery, salami and cheese cut into small cubes with a few macadamias?

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 15:48

BF:
Default Thanks, these are all good ideas!

Nuts are not allowed on the SS plan or I'd definitely go for them, Macleay. I put macadamias on my hubby's salads often, and they're wonderful. One of my very favorites. (We won't talk about macadamia nut cookies WILL we?) I'll have to check if pumpkin seeds are legal for Somersizing. I think they might be. Will go ask over in that forum. Thanks Karen!

Hmm... I guess I could try some of these suggestions with pork rinds. I disliked the flavor so much and they are SO salty that I ate one and tossed the whole bag I'd bought. Summer*rai, your recipe sounds so appealing I guess I'm just going to have to try again.

Jerky is nummy (not light and crunchy tho) but again really high sodium. Is there lower sodium jerky and maybe even pork rinds?

Popcorn, rice cakes, chips all gone. I guess I could have puffed wheat cereal as a legal SS snack. Hmm... I wonder if I could flavor them somehow, legally?

I'm stoked today because my hubby got us a little container of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream for Valentine's day. He thought I could cheat just a little for a special occasion. Hoo boy, of all the flavors he could have chosen, walnuts are out on SS, chocolate has caffeine and bananas are about the only fruit I CAN'T have! Not wanting to hurt his feelings I had some with him and surprise, surprise, I was one pound down this morning anyway!!! Whoopee!

Now I have to figure out how to lose the rest of the container before I'm tempted to push my luck!

Gonna try those melt in the microwave and cool cheese crispies that everyone is suggesting. They sound yummy.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 19:55

Stats: 249/249/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

Ooooo sorry, I'm not familiar with SS, just Atkins,
and I assumed nuts were okay. Is cheese?
Because I've also melted a little cheese on pork
rinds and it makes them edible. I'm not crazy about
them without something on them.

Cream cheese and celery is also good, but I'd better
read up on SS before making any more suggestions .

Jill
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 20:11

BF:
Default That's ok, there are so many LC WOEs!

How could anyone keep track of them all?

No nuts but yes, cheese is doable, thank you! Will try over everything crispy in the house and will get some PRs to experiment with as well. Heck I'll crisp the cheese by itself if nothing else works!

I miss peanut butter with this ban on nuts. I'd have plain peanut butter on celery if I could and be very happy. Toasted PB is oh so good too.

Now why is it that when there are a zillion things I CAN have I insist on thinking of the ones I can't? LOL!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:43

Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Default Re: snacks

I think we all rely too much on the combination of snacks and movies. Ever since we were kids, we have watched t.v. or movies with our hands in the chip or popcorn bowl. That mindless hand-to-mouth method of eating has gotten me to 188 pounds. Watching where my hands go will get me to 140 or less.

I have been working on NOT eating while watching t.v. b/co of the destructive results I have achieved. Instead I keep my hands busy with crocheting or doing a puzzle. Then I have something constructive to show for it instead of an extra pound or two.

When I go to the movies, I bring some celery sticks along, just in case the sound of all those crunching around me gets too resisting.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:31

BF:
Default Oooo, just found this on the SS board!

Over on the Suzannesomers.com discussion board I found this suggestion for legal LC chips:

"hi guys i have a friend who is a chef and recomended deep frying celery root , turnips, and radishes they are wonderfull!! the celery root tastes most like potatoe chips!!now i can have chips and salsa or chips and dip!! yummmm slice your chips thin if you have time soak them over night make sure they are dry before you add them to the deep fryer enjoy!!!! "

I'll go post this over in the snacks thread in the kitchen area too. I even HAVE some celery root, but haven't done anything with it yet. Never had the stuff before but got it to use as a potato substitute. Wonder what sort of oil is best to fry in? I don't have a deep fryer so I'll just try it in a pan.

#14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:35

BF:
Default Oh, and ladybug...

You're right, mucnhing in front of the TV is probably a habit I ought to break. I don't have any TV reception of any kind, I just have A TV and rental movies so I don't watch that often. Still, the habit is not good.

Fact is though, even without a movie I get munchie around 8pm and really want a snack of some sort, and if I could bring my own bag of chips to get togethers... well that would be great!