Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:15

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Reacting to nuts?

Hi All,
I posted a couple of days ago about some severe gas I was having and couldn't figure out what it might be. I'm still trying to narrow it down and the only thing I can see, from watching my eating patterns (which are pretty consistent) is that I might be having a areaction to nuts. I eat about 1-2 oz a day with my yogurt. It's the only thing I can think of because the last two days I've been eating yogurt without the nuts (just didn't feel like it) and I was ok and then this morning I had breakfast of yogurt and nuts and wham! it's hit me pretty bad right now. I've always been ok with them but I've upped my nuts to every day (they do not cause me stalls or cravings) since I restarted GO which was at the end of January so I'm think I might have developed a reaction to them (if that's possible)? Anyone have any feedback? I'm totally clueless when it comes to stuff of the body and I'm not one to run to the doctor even when things do get severe (and anyway I'm in the middle of transitioning to a new benefits program through my job and because of financial reasons decided not to extend my benefits for the few months before I was eligible).

Any thoughts please feel free. I've never never had problems with health before which is why this is causing me so much anxiety now.

Thanks!
Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Tam!

Yes, it's possible to develop an allergy or sensitivity to a food at any point in your life, although true food allergies are fairly rare. My DH has always eaten nuts until last spring when he kept getting this rash on his wrist. He was also having a terrible time losing weight. Due to some other more serious reactions to foods, he went for allergy testing and you guessed it...he's allergic to all tree nuts as well as several other foods that he had been able to eat until then such as raw peaches, apples and celery (it was a bad reaction to peaches that caused him to agree to allergy testing).
I think you have your answer with the little experiment that you did. You felt better when you cut out the nuts and your symptoms returned when you added them back to your diet. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you like them enough to endure the discomfort that they are causing.