Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-10, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb eating
Stats: 220/194/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default protein powder question

THis might have already posted..was just wondering what is an acceptable protein powder to havae while on atkins induction...if any? as long as no carbs or sugar is it ok?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 06:28

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Yep, most have 1 gram of carbs but not from sugar. Not sure if you can get them in the states but in Canada I buy ALL MAX Iso Flex and it is BY FAR the tastiest protein powder I have ever had (and I have tried alot). I really like the chocolate peanut butter one.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 07:00
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Just be very mindful of the carbs. A lot of protein powders are also high carb, so you have to check. And there can also be quite a bit of variance between flavors even in the lower carbs ones, so watch for that as well.

I use Optimum Nutrition - usually the Vanilla Ice Cream (3g/scoop) or Any Whey (unflavored, 1g/scoop). Most of the flavored ones I have seen from them are 3g or less. Vitamin Shoppe usually has the best prices on it if you have one local to you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb eating
Stats: 220/194/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks girls!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 12:38

Plan: Atkins + Vegetarian
Stats: 167/154.6/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I use pea protein powder which is zero carb.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 08:33

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

Isopure has a zero carb whey powder.

FWIW - going too high on protein will cause the excess to convert to glucose, which will stimulate an insulin release (hopefully small) and possibly kick you out of ketosis. Not a big deal compared to actually eating carbs, but you should be aware of the effect (gluconeogenesis). Try to stay under 1g per kg of bodyweight to be sure - should be safe at 100g or less for your weight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 19:47

Stats: 205/186/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 35%

I buy the whey protein powder at Sprouts in the bulk bin, and it says it is 0 carbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieJ
THis might have already posted..was just wondering what is an acceptable protein powder to havae while on atkins induction...if any? as long as no carbs or sugar is it ok?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 19:56

Stats: 205/186/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hey - I just noticed you live in Corinth! I live in Flower Mound! When you posted about the whey protein powder, I was wondering if you had a Sprouts. We have one in Flower Mound, which is where I get the whey. It is 8.99 per pound in the bulk bin and 0 carbs!
I use it all the time in the Atkins diet revolution rolls and snack on them like crazy during the day, with butter, for sandwich "bread". They are wonderful! I have tweaked the recipe if you want me to post it.
Joyce
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 12:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycefuel
I use it all the time in the Atkins diet revolution rolls and snack on them like crazy during the day, with butter, for sandwich "bread". They are wonderful! I have tweaked the recipe if you want me to post it.
Joyce

Sounds interesting, Joyce. I haven't tried adding a protein powder to any of my rev roll recipes and would love to try your recipe.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 12:23
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycefuel
Hey - I just noticed you live in Corinth! I live in Flower Mound! When you posted about the whey protein powder, I was wondering if you had a Sprouts. We have one in Flower Mound, which is where I get the whey. It is 8.99 per pound in the bulk bin and 0 carbs!
Joyce

Howdy, neighbor!

We don't have a sprouts out here, but I totally didn't know there was one over there! Is it over around the 407/2499 shops, or somewhere else? I usually do my groceries at the Tom Thumb on 407 (and sometimes to the Market Street that opened in Lewisville off Denton Tap), so I can add it to my run. I'll have to google it!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 12:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

Joyce,
I'd like for you to post your version of the rolls.

Laura