Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: general-low carb
Stats: 305/300/200 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default wTF !!! i gained on inDuction :O

OMG!! i gained back wid a few extra grams. i dont know??!!(i did feel lighter , i can walk more...dats wat kept me going)
but wat am i doing wrong am supposed to hav lost a few pounds??
is it cause ov my period ??!
i am on induction, i have my protiens n induction friendly veggies, gouda n philedelphia cheese. i take omega 3 and b-complex wid vitamin c supplements.
may b it was the decaf wid cream???
may b, iwas having only two meals n snacking usually wid coffee(decaf wid cream). am i supposed to increase my meals for d day?!
i dunnow, am really upset..y are'nt i losing weight..
HELP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 09:33
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiSonu
OMG!! i gained back wid a few extra grams. i dont know??!!(i did feel lighter , i can walk more...dats wat kept me going)
but wat am i doing wrong am supposed to hav lost a few pounds??
is it cause ov my period ??!
i am on induction, i have my protiens n induction friendly veggies, gouda n philedelphia cheese. i take omega 3 and b-complex wid vitamin c supplements.
may b it was the decaf wid cream???
may b, iwas having only two meals n snacking usually wid coffee(decaf wid cream). am i supposed to increase my meals for d day?!
i dunnow, am really upset..y are'nt i losing weight..
HELP!

Whew! Take a breath and breathe. Now...breathe again.

As long as you are following the plan and staying within the induction food lists for items and quantity, I wouldn't let a few extra GRAMS of weight gain concern you. A few extra grams could be the difference between a cup of coffee and a good poop Plus, you say that your TOM is either already here or approaching...yes?. If so, it is not unusual for women to GAIN 1+ pounds due to hormone flucuations and water retention.

After peeking at your profile, it looks like you have not yet read any LC books, but you list Atkins as your plan. My best advice this early in the game is to purchase a copy of your chosen plan and read it, and read it again. There is a wealth of information in the book that explains the principles behind the plan you've chosen, how it works, why we follow certain guidelines at each stage of the weightloss journey and trouble shooting advice in case you're having a problem.

Read the book, follow the plan and relax. No need to get yourself worked up over a few extra grams.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: general-low carb
Stats: 305/300/200 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thank U lisa..
guess i am a bit constipated.
i am doing my diet , from wat i av learned through the internet. could you suggest a good book on atkins.. n easy.
as i live in UAE , it's not exactly an atkins friendly country.
( i see many people dieting, all on low calorie diets.)
but am so happy 2 b here dis is the first time in my life dat i av not given up.
this forum is a great help. GOD BLESS
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 12:14
Every day is day one

BF:

Not knowing what the availability of different books in your country...

The newest book for Atkins "The New Atkins for a New You" by Dr's Westman, PHinney, and Volek is very simple and easy to follow.

Many of us (including me) prefer Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution--released in 2002.

Depending on shipping and what not--try the internet--a few sites that I can think of are Amazon.com and ABEbooks.com

HTH.

Glad you are breathing again.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-10, 03:29

Plan: new Atkin's diet
Stats: 186/161/116 Female 157 cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi, I live in Dubai as well and have been on Atkins since May end. You can get the new book at Magrudy's.
Jas
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 02:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/132/110 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat - but please be kind, this is my first post.

I've been doing induction for 5 days now and I haven't lost a single gram...in fact I seem to have gone up a few!

I eat the egg muffins (recipe on this site) in the morning, then a simple romaine lettuce salad for lunch (with some feta and black olives) and then something with meat for my dinner - usually a stir fry or homemade burgers. Yesterday at a restaurant I had steak with egg and bacon and a side salad.
I generally snack on some salami, some cheese or pieces of roast chicken that I cooked on my first day.

As for drinks, I generally have water (1.5l a day, roughly), peppermint tea and caffine-free diet coke.

My starting (and current!!) weight is 60kg and I'm looking to lose around 5kg. I don't know if it's important, but I am taking vitamin tablets and I'm on the pill.

Any advice would be most appreciated as it was so upsetting to see that, after all this effort, nothing has changed.

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 05:12

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

gone up a GRAM?

Uh...how can you even COUNT a gram?

You might want to read the book for whatever diet you are doing; Atkins, or whatever....

Grams?

C'mon...thats silly.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 07:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pretty sure it's just a figure of speech, rpavich. This is an international forum. No need to be rude.

Vesparia, you're the same height as I am, and I should warn you: the scale is a really bad way to measure your success when you're starting out at an already healthy body weight. You will very likely lose body fat (which is the real goal) and it may or may not be reflected on the scale.

Being on the pill can be a huge factor. It made me gain about 20 lbs. I began training with the military while I was on it. You'd think some of it would have come off. Months later, when I was no longer working out or attempting to lose weight, the excess weight practically fell off me a month after I stopped taking it. Hormones can have a very powerful effect on body fat stores no matter what you're eating.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 10:31

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

I'm sorry if you thought I was rude...I was exasperated at what I thought was a unit of measure....a gram....

I'll butt out.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 10:44

Plan: bulking!
Stats: 133/114/120 Female 62 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 146%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Being on the pill can be a huge factor. It made me gain about 20 lbs. I began training with the military while I was on it. You'd think some of it would have come off. Months later, when I was no longer working out or attempting to lose weight, the excess weight practically fell off me a month after I stopped taking it. Hormones can have a very powerful effect on body fat stores no matter what you're eating.

Good luck.

Ditto this. One birth control pill I was on years ago made me gain over 10 pounds in a month, to the point I couldn't button any of my pants, and for one week of that month I had had a stomach flu, ate nothing, and threw up whatever I ate. The pill I was on last year, on the other hand, did not make me gain any weight at all. It just made me crazy.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 14:46

BF:

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the advice. Looks like the best solution is just to come off it... I have to be so careful because the main reason I'm on it is due to period problems and anaemia. I'm taking a multi-vit so hopefully that will tide me over for my iron count.

Yes, a gram is a small amout of weight... I was just trying to explain that I haven't lost even the slightest of amounts. I'm afraid I don't work in imperial measurements (I have no idea what "2 cups of salad" actually means...I just have a salad a day *shrug*) hence the metric goodness.

Does this mean that 5 (now 6) days have been wasted? Yes I can come off it but I have another week to go... which means the entire induction period would have been a waste... and I was doing so very well

PS: Added my location for clarification

Last edited by vesparia : Sat, Sep-18-10 at 15:06.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 15:16
Every day is day one

BF:

Hmmmmmm...before you go off the pill....

A pregnancy is going to be more of a weight gainer than the OCP---I'm just sayn'

I don't consider the week to be wasted if you were follwoing the plan. One thing that no one has mentioned is that many of us fail to lose anything on inudction (me,me,me) and have gone on to be sucessful.

I'd just keep following the plan and stop using the scale as your unit of measure.

Did you measure your body before beginning?
Are you feeling better health-wise?

There are other measures of sucess than just the scale.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 02:12

BF:

Hiya,

no chances of me getting pregnant at the moment - just taking it to help control my periods and my iron count.

Yesterday (day 5) was the first day where I noticed that I was craving something carby whereas my friend starting having cravings on day 3. Maybe this is a good sign?

I don't feel so bloated anymore after a meal which I love! It means that I'm also falling asleep much faster as I don't feel so stuffed. Also drinking so much more water which can only be good.

Only real issue I'm having is constipation... I have now resorted to taking tablets but even they don't seem to help!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 02:26
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian/vegan Atkins
Stats: 224/218/165 Female 67 inches (5ft 7inches)
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have a feeling the marina coil is having the same issues with my weight loss. Since starting back on Atkins just over two weeks ago I've lost quite well but it came to a sudden halt and then a slight gain, right when my ToM was due. I have not had any ToM for about a year and after two weeks on Atkins I get one, very odd.

I'm going to have to accept that the coil will hinder me a bit. I did put on a lot of weight after having it put in but the freedom from the most awful ToM where I could hardly leave the house, means I won't have it removed, even at the cost of being a bit heavier.

Water is retained at this time so don't be too hard on yourself. I'd lay off the diet drinks just a bit, I've found they hold things back.

Keep the faith, being here is a great help for me as friends and family are very anti Atkins sadly.

x
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 02:55

BF:

Living in Germany is making Atkins very tough... standard German fare focuses on bread, potatoes and beer. Bread in the morning, hot lunch and then bread in the evening. A lot of meat and fish is breaded (Schnitzel, for example) and even more meat is processes (Salami, Wurst).

The toughest is going out in the evening...restaurants serve everything with chips and/or potatoes. Some restaurants are willing to change the menu slightly (so salad instead of chips) but not all. Beer is dirt cheap, cheaper than water, which doesn't help. Everything "to go" contains bread - thank God for McDonald's with their salads!

I hear Boots sells Atkins bars...sadly not available in Germany