Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%
Question How many eggs a day is safe to eat?

I just realized that I went through a whole dozen eggs in 2 days. I just read a thread about somebody's cholesterol level going up on Atkins and thought I'd ask if eating this many eggs is dangerous. I love eggs salad, and I can eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Should I cut down or is it ok for me to eat 6 eggs a day? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 17:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

Hi, I just thought I would cite a case from protein power, An article from New England Journal of medicine(march 28,1991) was about an eightyfive yearold man who ate 25 eggs a day(!) and had normal blood cholesterol levels....he had done so for thirty years.....I won't go into all the details, but it's in the protien power bookif you're interested, bottom line is eggs are fine, will not elevate your cholesterol, but remember to get a balanced and varied diet!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 17:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Eating a lot of eggs will only cause you a problem IF (and only if) you have a problem with sensitivity to arachidonic acid which is found in egg yolks and red meat. It's not the cholesterol in those foods that causes the problem, it's your body's reaction to the arachidonic acid.
Your body produces the majority of the cholesterol in your body and studies have shown over and over that dietary cholesterol has very little affect on serum cholesterol.
I'd say enjoy your eggs, but consider adding more variety too.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Stats: 144/142/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Holly toledo!!
That is more than I have eaten in a week of Easter. You should really look to adding more to your meals like a salad or chicken. Good grief, I bet your tummy is quite tore up!
Bamalady74

P.S. You may want to schedule a Dr. Appt to check that cholesterol level, you may be overdoing it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 18:51

BF:

LOL Bamalady! I know it sounds aweful, doesn't it? I think I will cut down on the eggs although I don't think I have a sensitivity issue. I don't think I've eaten this many eggs in any given week let alone 2 days! Although I'm not much of a cook and never did much of it until recently, I have been experimenting in the kitchen to add more variety to this WOE. It's good to know that I can eat 6 eggs in a day if I wanted to though. Thank you guys for your input!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 23:47
Registered Member

Plan: Free stylin
Stats: 182/161/150
BF:
Progress: 66%

I go through 3-4 doz eggs every week. Always have 4 for breakfast, plus maybe another 4 later on in the day.
Good, cheap source of fat and protein. Why would you want to limit eggs? Eggs are greeeeaaaaat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%

One thing you could try is using only 1 yolk out of four eggs. You would still get the yellow color, but if you're concerned about the yolk (I'm still trying to get over that) you'd be cutting it down.
I have an omelette almost every day made with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites. It took me a while to stop feeling guilty about wasting the yolk but then I priced the egg substitutes which don't taste all that great. I have saved some of the yolks for using in egg shampoo, though.

Have a great Sunday -

Mary
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 08:21

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Lightbulb OLD THOUGHT!!!!!

Fear of eating eggs are from the "OLD SCHOOL". Studies have proven it is safe to eat your eggs, so enjoy!!!! Vonnie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 08:27

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

This is why I love this Forum...

I had been wondering about this and today, BOUM, the question I never voiced!
I am glad I am not the only one to eat eggs so much... although...<b>raze</b>, you beat me by far!!!

I enjoy my eggs each morning in a omelette with bacon and cheese and sometimes in the evening when nothing else seems interesting. They are so versatile.

Enjoy yourselves!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:34
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi there

I enjoy my eggs too, I keep a bowl of hard boiled in the fridge so that I can snack on 1 or easily make some egg salad or devilled eggs.

My mother tells me that the cholesterol found in eggs is minimal when you weigh it agains the health benefits of eggs.

So enjoy your eggs
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Dr. Atkins recommends a MINIMUM of 2 eggs/day. He considers them the perfect food WITH THE YOLK. Unless you are sensitive to Arachidonic (sp?) acid, as previously mentioned, there is NO reason to avoid eating them. As with all foods, don't overeat - get comfortably full and stop.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:43

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

No matter what the propaganda over the last 30 years, you don't get high cholesterol from eating high cholesterol. Go ahead and eat your eggs, they are good for you. One of the things that low carb should teach you is that most of what we have been tolds about diet and disease over the last 30 years is wrong. Nyah Levi
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:24

BF:

Thank you everybody

I've been averaging about 2-4 eggs a day since my last post here. I love eggs! I went out and bought a whole case today and had some egg salad for dinner tonight (again). Made a huge chef's salad for my boyfriend with 2 boiled eggs in it and he was totally stoked because it looked so beautiful lol.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:36
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm with everyone else here... you don't get fat from eating fat and you don't get high cholesterol from eating high cholesterol.

But you should count the carbs if you are having so many. Consider that 1 large egg is .6 carbs so they do add up if you eat 10 in a day that is 5 ish carbs that you may wish to spend on an extra cup of coffee or more veggies...

Not because you have to mind you but your options are open to you...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

DANDR says that eggs are among the foods you can "eat liberally." I wouldn't even count carbs on eggs, especially during Induction.

But, then, I'm a turtle, so maybe your way is better.