Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 131/115/100 Female 5 '4
BF:
Progress:
Default if you go bindge

im talking like maybe a bar of choclate and a teeeny bit cereal... whats the most u can gain... im confused i did it a long time ago. My nutritionist said eventhough i lost alot low carb (he wants me off it) he has promised its only water and i cannot gain 3 pounds of fat every time i have a "chocolate bar" or a "bowl of cerial"

he said that its a fact that you have to over eat by 500 calories each day to gain 1 pound...

i do have eating issues if anyone hasnt guessed... i suppose maybe its best as you guys could understand a bit more im terrified of fat, no matter who tells me fat is safe on a low carb well it just dosent go in properly... ive lived off chicken and egg whites for the past year solid. the only way i maintain is going on insane bindges every now and then or slip up and stall my weight loss by having maybe some citric acid blajh its MESSED UP.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 325/238/190 Male 5''9
BF:
Progress: 64%

I don't know how low carb works but there's 3,500 cal in a pound of fat so that should mean you have to eat that to gain a pound :/ but it hasn't been the case for me when I cheated, though I was told some of it's water.

If that's you in the pic, you look pefect! I wouldn't worry so much and just dust yourself off and get on with business just don't panic or eat yourself up over it!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 12:46

BF:
Progress:

hm yeah thats me.. i weighed myself last at christmas and i was 6 stone 10.

i just have a massive phobia that since ive been living off low carb low fat chicken breast and egg whites that ill balloon like crazy when i try to fix my diet... nutritionist wants a balanced diet he said my bodys been too damaged to keep away from carbs i just want to get better this isnt fun anymore
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 325/238/190 Male 5''9
BF:
Progress: 64%

Wow, that sounds mega small!

If you do it gradual I think there will be less chance of ballooning! but you gotta have patience because I think your only supposed to go up 5g a week? I think....maybe try it in 10g see how you get on for a week? if your not happy probably worth a try. Just maybe need to watch the calories whilst upping it though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:08

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmm ... at 5'4" tall and 6 stone 10 (that's 94 lbs), you're desperately underweight and really need to put on 15 or so pounds to be at a healthy weight. At this stage, please listen to your nutritionist - you need more help than anyone here can help you with. We have several health-care professionals on the forum, but none of them would presume to advise you without a personal consultation!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:18

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

When you eat carbs, your body has to retain more water to maintain homeostasis, so that accounts for most of the weight gain with a candy bar. Also, your liver will replace its stores of glycogen, which probably accounts for a little bit more of the weight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:30

BF:
Progress:

i guess when the water weight came on i freak out and think this will happen everytime i try something... i had an egg yolk once and went up two pound on the scale... once i was encouraged to try an apple and i think the scale went up a few pounds so i had it in my head that if i ate an apple the next day id go up another three pounds and so on... id be piling on the pounds just from having an apple a day? just makes no sense feel really trapped!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:38

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The 2 or 3 pounds could be water weight. Not fat.

Sorry you got caught in an ED, LittlemeLC. I've been there and they are nasty. Gets to be no fun just like you say.

here's the deal - it's both physical and your habits. I think your nutritionist is not quite right - you can get excellent nutrition low carb - but I do agree you need to eat differently.

I've seen dozens of people get out from under this, by trying the "baby step" approach. Seriously, and have people applauding when they can enjoy a whole scrambled egg. You start with such tiny amounts that it's under the radar of your fear. Your current nutso brain is not freaked out, but it will still PHYSICALLY start you on the path back to health. Then as your physical body gets better your brain relaxes too.

Like, what do you have for breakfast? An egg white omelet cooked with spray? Can you think of one tiny baby step to add to that you could get used to? Like a little salsa and a dab of avocado? Or just one yolk?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:46

BF:
Progress:

i just know its ruined the relationship i have with my family and my friends have given up on me! i need to sort this i just have no idea where to start... i think im going to try the egg yolk again... the problem is this time im terrified to weigh myself and havent since before christmas dinner (im still having nightmares about what i ate that day) so i dont know what im going to go by hmm
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 14:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Why not start a journal in the journals forum so you can list your menus each day and be encouraged by other members and advised on how to add more carbs and fat gradually?

In fact it might be better to ask the moderators to move this whole thread into the journals forum (changing the title of the thread to say something more relevant than the current title) instead of starting a new thread there.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 14:28

BF:
Progress:

i feel alot better now people know... its hard to get around the none fat thing lol and i ask a million questions because im so desprate to try new things but am so scared! like the sugar free jello thats sitting in my fridge... still havent had it
i think i will do a journal
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 15:43

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I think I have to agree on the baby steps and here is why. Lets suppose your setpoint weight is 125 pounds, which, by the way, is probably ideal or slightly over ideal. Lets say also that your current weight is 95. Now lets say you just forget the whole worrying thing and just eat to hunger. What will your weight do? It will probably rocket up very fast until it gets near the setpoint. And then somewhere around there it will stop.

And how will you feel as it rockets up those 30 pounds? You will freak out of course, because you will imagine it continuing on upward to 200, even though it is quite doubtful that that would happen.

But you have a day to day problem of wrong self-weight-image (largely the fault of society and the media) that will be very difficult by now to mediate over the internet. Yet many of us strongly disagree with your nutritionist's views on dietary fats. So what to do? Why not get a nutritionist who is in agreement with the dietary principles you have seen good evidence is correct (I sure hope that is LC) and see him? Then you will have the best of both worlds: someone who agrees with sound nutritional principles, yet someone who can give you week by week accountability toward proper eating habits, by which I mean neither binging nor starving.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 15:48

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

edited because this is not the thread I originally posted to and now my post makes no sense.

Last edited by faduckeggs : Thu, Mar-11-10 at 16:23.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 20:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemeLC
i feel alot better now people know... its hard to get around the none fat thing lol and i ask a million questions because im so desprate to try new things but am so scared! like the sugar free jello thats sitting in my fridge... still havent had it
i think i will do a journal

Give it to me...I'll eat it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 20:22

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemeLC
im talking like maybe a bar of choclate and a teeeny bit cereal... whats the most u can gain... im confused i did it a long time ago. My nutritionist said eventhough i lost alot low carb (he wants me off it) he has promised its only water and i cannot gain 3 pounds of fat every time i have a "chocolate bar" or a "bowl of cerial"

he said that its a fact that you have to over eat by 500 calories each day to gain 1 pound...

i do have eating issues if anyone hasnt guessed... i suppose maybe its best as you guys could understand a bit more im terrified of fat, no matter who tells me fat is safe on a low carb well it just dosent go in properly... ive lived off chicken and egg whites for the past year solid. the only way i maintain is going on insane bindges every now and then or slip up and stall my weight loss by having maybe some citric acid blajh its MESSED UP.

Are you also afraid of Santa and the Tooth fairy? Probably not, but for years I would bet that you thought they were real. I know I did. I also remember believing that the sandman was real. We had a drapery set that, when the light shone on it, it really did look like a person, it looked like the sandmand. It was a bit hard to believe that a rabbit could deliver chicken eggs so I never really believe that the Easter Rabbit was real.

Another thing. I have been low carbing for 7 years...that is a lot of water.