Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 02:23

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%
Default (morning) Cardio effects on 'Squats'

After carbing up, out muscles hold glycogen that are not used even after our livers stores are used up. So if I were to do cardio, this would primarily use my leg muscles (say running) and most likely use glycogen stores in leg muscles. Then when I do my leg day for the week, and go to do squats, should I expect a significant decrease in poundage if I have been doing cardio due to depleted glycogen stores? What is the experience of yall who do (morning) cardio as well as heavy leg workouts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default my experience

I make legs (all lower body) a priority, so I get to it right away - generally in the morning after the carbup. I'll do 20-30 mins of high intensity intervals (sprints) and use that as my warm up, then hit the legs.
I find that the cardio beforehand (as long as it is the day after the carbup!!!!!!) enhances my leg workout because the muscles are warmed up, flexible and feeling strong. Only if the cardio is the sprints though, if I go on a 2 hour hike my legs are very weak.

As for poundages with squats, I do them last - pre exhausting my legs/glutes so I can work them really hard without using heavy weights. (for safety purposes because I work out alone)

Cardio before squats, depending on the duration/intensity, how long it's been since your carb up etc will probably decrease poundage.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 17:28

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

I actually find that doing squats after doing some leg presses and also after depleting some glycogen is better. This way you actually can't put so much weight on the squats, which reinforces correct technique and less change of injury...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 19:11

Plan: atkins maybe body opus
Stats: 195/190/175
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default cardio effect on squats

in theory it might take some strengh from you.My personal experience just do the cardio and hit the squats bar .I agree with the 2 before me. You will fill warmed and strong.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 18:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ...

I do my legs late in the week, since I use that workout to ensure that I am 100% depeleted before carb-up.

I do moderately light leg presses, followed by squats, then deadlifts, then light extensions with forced pauses at the top.

The poundages are lighter, yes. But I still am shaking by the time it is done, so it's all good.

Intensity is the key here. The numbers on the plates don't matter.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 23:41
Registered Member

Stats: 281/272/205 Male 68.5 inches
BF:29/28/10
Progress: 12%
Default cardio affecting weight training.

Ok, this is the simplest solution. lift first. since technically you dont start fat burning for 15 to 20 minutes into the workout. You should lift first. this will warm your body up, raise your heartrate, and get all the fat burning juices flowing, then do cardio. I mean they are two entirely different energy systems. you initially start burning a little glucose but by the time you start cardio you should be able to transition into the aerobic energy system quicker and not suffer any lapses in your cardio program.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Stats: 235/212/200 Male 73 in
BF:estimated 18%
Progress: 66%

I thought we are burning fat all the time??
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 06:55

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

After the carb load you go bac to burning carbs, until you get all of the stored glycogen used up. That is why the monday and tuesday workouts are so important.

They are used to get rid of the stored glycogen and get you back into a ketogenic state so that you burn fat the rest of the week.