Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default George Foreman Ideas

How do you use your Foreman grill? What do you cook, how long do you cook it etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have a Sunbeam contact grill which is the same thing - It's a great gadget for low carbing.

I use it for steaks, chicken, link sausages, - GREAT for Salmon Fillets & butterfly pork chops - and veggies like 1/2 inch slices of zucchini and summer squash, and pepper strips. I've not explored its full potential, I'm sure.

As for cooking times - about 10-12 mins for well done meats, 7-10 mins for chicken breasts depending on thickness, and 5 for veggies and Salmon (Salmon fillets should flake easily). New Foreman grills should come with cooking guides. Use a meat thermometer if in doubt, especially on chicken. And I use a cooking spray.

I don't like burgers on the contact grill, though - too dry. Try roasting burgers in the oven instead of pan frying - mine come out really juicy and flavorful.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 01:50

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I've found if I make my own patties and work in some cumin into the meat plus a little bit of onion, they come out really juicy and flavorful. The cumin used all by itself does not impart a 'mexican' flavor, more of a sage kinda flavor. I don't know what it is about it that makes the burgers juicier, but it does. I've made burger with onion in them before, but adding the cumin is what makes the difference.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:27
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi KJTurner:

How much cumin/pound?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 07:49

BF:

Ummm...I just dust some in...I'm not a measuring sort of person. I'd say dust on about as much as if it were salt and mix it in and see how you like it. More of a 'to taste' sort of thing....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 05:42

Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

hi,
thanks for the tips on the g.f. grill. my boys love burgers, but when ever i do them on the grill, the complain that they are just not as good, kinda dry. problem is now.......we just got a side of beef from bro'nlaw, and we got like 4 packs of 16 each in premade burgers.......eek!

any tips would be appreciated. summer and outdoor grilling seems like forever away!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Wink

I've found that the higher the fat content of the hamburger the better. The lean hamburger meat IS dryer...it's dryer even when you grill. So if I know I'm doing burgers, I always buy the 80/20...that has seemed to work for me anyways...

ps..the pre-made are usually the 80/20..they are here anyways...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 02:24

BF:

Yeah, the fattier the better, and it drains off anyway. As to the cumin thing, I've found that if you dust any kind of seasoning on whatever you're grilling on the GF grill you run the risk of burning. I find for seasoned patties (beef, turkey, sausage, or ground pork or veal) that it is much better to blend the seasoning in before you form the patties. Ditto chicken breasts or pork loin. Marinate them for a couple of hours first, pierce the meat a few times with a fork, then grill them. Don't dust the seasoning or herbs on top. I've had two GF grills (started with the tiny one--upgraded to the bigger one!) and they both did the same thing.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 04:54

Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

I love burgers/boneless ckn breasts on the GF grill. Always so moist. You might need to watch your time. Even my DH says they are good and he is an avid bbq grill guy!

We also do kabobs. I put shrimp or ckn pieces on those bamboo skewers. Even try with out the skewers..... for flavor add a little bit of onion, some peppers, garlic ......it is really good. The best way is to marinade them all together with your fav low carb sauce. Shrimp cook very quickly, so keep an eye on them!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 09:20

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i just got a GFgrill for christmas. so far i love the way it cooks. nothing has been dry or burnt yet. and i have tried burgers, steak, chicken, and pork chops. i have marinated as well as seasoned both are good. the only gripe i have is the clean up. if anybody has any ideas on how to make this easier i would greatly like to hear them.

thanks
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 09:37

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

aci - clean GF when it is hot - get a sponge w/ a "scrubby" back and use it exclusively for the grill. I am able to clean mine up in about a minute. This also works on outdoor grills - much easier to clean hot!

About keeping burgers moist...I have made plenty of burgers on my GF & use the 90/10 meat. I add a dash of Wosterchire sauce, garlic powder and season salt - mmmmm. Delicious and tender! I realize it is quite a bit of salt, but that is why only a dash.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Thumbs up

aci...clean it hot. But usually it's cold when I get to it so I start on my other dishes and plug it in...let it heat up and then I squeeze small amounts of soapy water and it boils the grease off...then follow up with a sponge with a "soft" scrub sides...but don't scrub-sccrub...you'll scrub the non-stick off!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 13:08

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

I have a Forman grill at my office and use it all the time! My favorite is: garlic lime cilantro chicken breast
marinate a chicken breast the night before with a little lime juice, a clove of garlic and either fresh or dried cilantro (whatever i have on hand) with a teaspoon of olive oil in a zip lock bag.
For the lime juice I get the key lime juice in the bottle and always have some on hand in the fridge.
I also use it for halibit (same marinade) and tuna filet...YUM!
Enjoy!