Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 10:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Now I'm craving them! I think they'd be pretty easy to make from scratch, use some sugar sub instead!

Yes, I need to modify a recipe.

I keep thinking of PJ's post about not being able to just walk into the store and buy something to eat. As I move to eating more and more whole foods, I spend so much more time cooking. (I also spend more on the food itself!) Lord, I'd love to just brown some ground hamburger, then throw in a can of sloppy joe sauce. It's what I used to call "cooking."
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:17
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
But I'm sure you accept that your personal consumption of carbs and fructose is NOT TYPICAL.

Of course. I was responding to your question as it was phrased.
Quote:
Excessive fructose intake (more than 50 g/d) is probably the cause of Type 2 Diabetes. I don't think most people have any idea that they are consuming anywhere like that amount of fructose daily.
I think you may have misread my post. I'm not planning to increase my consumption of fructose, I'm planning to reduce it by substituting pure dextrose in place of sucrose in those rare applications where I'd want to sweeten something with sugar. Not that I expect to see any real impact on my health because the amount I'm getting is already vanishingly small, but if it's true, as the evidence indicates, that fructose is significantly more dangerous than glucose, we might see lower incidences of disease by replacing the fructose with glucose without requiring people to reduce carbs. It would interesting to see this tested on a large scale.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Yes, I need to modify a recipe.

I keep thinking of PJ's post about not being able to just walk into the store and buy something to eat. As I move to eating more and more whole foods, I spend so much more time cooking. (I also spend more on the food itself!) Lord, I'd love to just brown some ground hamburger, then throw in a can of sloppy joe sauce. It's what I used to call "cooking."

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,182...-235207,00.html

You could cheat and use dehydrated onion or onion powder same for the garlic. I really like these dehydrated roasted garlic chips I've purchased when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. You could skip the green peppers. They're nice but probably don't change the basic flavor much if at all. I love dehydrated onion. I mean really love it... I shake it on my salads. I like regular onions too. Oh yes, some stores sell pre-chopped onion, but they always taste kind of bland to me.

So then you're squeezing 3/4ths cup of ketchup. Shaking on onions and garlic. Adding water or broth. Worchester sauce. Skip the flour. Sounds pretty darned easy if you take some short cuts. In fact, I pretty much have all the ingredient right now!

I think outside of the cooking time for the beef, I could probably stir that up in 10 minutes maybe even 5.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 13:25

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
replacing the fructose with glucose without requiring people to reduce carbs. It would interesting to see this tested on a large scale.
That was my immediate thought about food processors. Seeing more dextrose and maltodextrose which is already in the long list of added sweeters.

And... George Bray? He has long been a "fat people just eat too darn much" guy. I wonder what he's up to. Is this his spin to get out of years of ignoring metabolic reality?

And this term - cardiometabolic health?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 13:37

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

~wyvrn i misunderstood your intention. usually when i see someone talking about sugar substitutes it is in the context of daily consumption of large quantities. For example "I will use this dextrose to cook pies, cookies, cakes, and bread and I will eat them every day". That sort of thing. The 4 grams per dose that you are talking about doesn't concern me.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
And... George Bray? He has long been a "fat people just eat too darn much" guy. I wonder what he's up to. Is this his spin to get out of years of ignoring metabolic reality?

Fructose: should we worry? G A Bray
Quote:
Obesity is a growing problem. In the broadest strokes, it is due to a small positive energy balance that persists over a sufficiently long time.
Some forms of obesity develop independent of the type of diet that is eaten, whereas others are dependent on the diet.
Among the former are individuals with leptin deficiency or genetic defects in the melanocortin 4 receptor.
Most human obesity, however, occurs in the presence of highly palatable foods—fat and calorically sweetened beverages.
The increase in obesity in the last 35 years has paralleled the increasing use of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which first appeared just before 1970.
Current soft drinks and many other foods are sweetened with this product because it is inexpensive and has useful manufacturing properties.
The fructose in HFCS and sugar makes beverages very sweet, and this sweetness may underlie the relation of obesity to soft drink consumption.
Fructose consumption has also been related to the metabolic syndrome and to abnormal lipid patterns.
This evidence suggests that we should worry about our current level of fructose consumption, which has been increasing steadily for over 200 years and now represents over 10% of energy intake of some people.

This is Bray this time last year on the same topic. He was still on the Calories in calories out mantra together with idea that fat makes you fat.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 14:04
Experimenter

BF:

Bray gets a good roasting in Taubes book IIRC. Oh wait, maybe it's Eades... or both? I just remember him because I always think of a Donkey braying.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 06:20

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,182...-235207,00.html

So then you're squeezing 3/4ths cup of ketchup.

Please be aware that ketchup has a good bit of added sugars- usually in the form of HFCS these days.

Alternately, you could use the sloppy joe recipe from Linda Sue's site. Granted it has a few more ingredients, so will take a little more time for measuring and mixing, but at least you're avoiding the added sugars.

Another alternative that's definitely not the sweet sloppy joe, but is pretty good is to make sloppy jose's. There are recipes out there that require lots of chopping and simmering, but the easiest thing to do is to use a no-sugar-added chunky salsa (1 cup for a pound of browned hamburger), then melt in a cup of shredded colby jack cheese. Different flavor, but very quick and easy.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 11:34
Experimenter

BF:

They do make low carb ketchup too. Or they did, not sure if they do any longer.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 12:22

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

that's the one condiment I tried making myself.

In summer you can make your own ketchup , much less sweet, using an heirloom recipe and really ripe tomatoes. The Amish recipes have a ton of them from their German tradition of sweets-and-sours cooking.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 12:37
Experimenter

BF:

Yum, that sounds wonderful!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Now I'm craving them! I think they'd be pretty easy to make from scratch, use some sugar sub instead!

I have a big thing of ham to use up, maybe I can grind up some ham and make sloppy joes with it.

Make sandwich spread! Get some pickles and some mayo and grind er up!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 10:46
Experimenter

BF:

Oh shoot! That sounds good too!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 10:47

Quote:
They do make low carb ketchup too. Or they did, not sure if they do any longer.

Heinz still does, though it is not called "One Carb" anymore. There are also plenty of ketchup out there that use no added sugar. However it can be a 'spensive way to make a large quantity of sloppy joes...

I generally buy an organic no sugar, no artificial sweetener ketchup that is not that out there in terms of price, but I don't use that for sloppy joes. I do use the Heinz and a wee bit of sweetener.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 10:50

Quote:
Oh shoot! That sounds good too!

Ya, that is a guilty pleasure of mine...I love dipping pork rinds into it! The local market makes their own sandwich spread and calls it Bologna salad. they also have ham salad, but since I am sure they use a very low grade of ham, loaded with salt and chemicals, I pass on that. I do buy the bologna salad once in a while though...

I'm gonna get a sausage/meat grinder and start making my own....