Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 237/224/156
BF:45.40% ????
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Disturbing support from Brother about diet

Well, I have net my first non support of my diet and New way of life.

He brought up negative thing about this diet and atkins like diets. It has made me upset. He doesnt believe in any other diet than eating healthy and exercising to keep weight off and things like that. Treat yourself to those things like soda and popcorn once every blue moom and so forth.

I tried to explain that I am not on this diet because I get to eat bacon and some fatty foods. I am on it to feel better and change my way of life, and then to lose the weight. He brought up the statistics about people who diet like this and WW and liquids and others most of the diets out there today are people looking for a easy way out to lose fast and not have to work to hard at it. I dont know about you but damn I am working hard!!!!!

I know that I am trying to tell myself that my life is not about the food I eat and so forth and my hubby said I sure am taking alot of time learnign about food than. He was teasing he knows exactly why I am taking the time to learn, but needless to say if you are going to eat healthy, you are going to look at lables too right?

I was a little disscouraged and have to admit am I doing the right thing. This diet does seem easier than others I have tried but I remember about 2 years ago when I tried this I couldnt do it, the bread and rice and potatoes were to good. But to me that was not neccassarily about the food it was about the frame of mind. Right?

Ugh!!! I am still trucking along havent waivered, wont change anything if at all until I have more statistics you know. I want to go to the doc in about 2 months and have blood work done again and see what my stats are.

Anyone out there have some long term stats about this diet....oh wait a minute, this way of life...

You know I bet there is some people out there doing this diet thinking they can lose and then go back to the way things were just to watch it....but then there is people like us knowing that this isnt just a 6month or however long to lose thing it is a WAY OF LIFE!!!!!!! ANd it is not like I am going through this blind with the crowd, I am researching and forever lookingup new things.

I guess people I need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Thanks for letting me dump this stuff out...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Was your brother at all supportive of your choice to improve your health? Was he just looking for a rant or what? I can understand his concern for you, but he seems a bit oblivious if he doesn't appreciate the extreme changes you are willing to make in order to help yourself. Eating low carb can seem very odd and out of whack to someone who can do well and maintain good health on a more traditional Western diet, but perhaps that person is your brother and not you.
It is troubling when someone we love responds to very personal and important news with a lack of empathy and understanding. His only point of reference seems to be his own experience and he may not be making much effort to understand yours. However, that is his deficiency, not yours.
Why not try this thing and do the best you can? Why not keep at it and give it a chance? if it isn't for you, make your own choices. He knows his body, but you live in yours!

Cheers
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 13:19
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Kat -

I understand where you are coming from. When I started my DH said that I should just jog again and low cal - low fat... that worked. And it did but I hated life and was always hungry and mad and I hated jogging and knew it wouldn't be a part of my life always.

So I just said to him... you'll support me when it works and left it at that.

No defense... no apologies or explainations.

And you know what... he supports it now.

This is your WOL and you owe no one an explaination on how you choose to take care of yourself.

He will see when you are healthy and more - beautiful and feel healthy and beautiful!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 13:49

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%
Thumbs up Keep at it!

I started Atkins on 27 Jan 2003 and have lost 9 pounds to date. That's great and all, but the best thing about this is that I haven't had any heart flutters that I used to have every night when I laid down for bed. I don't know the reason behind it except that I believe it's because I cut out carbs out of my diet. I don't feel bloated after I eat, no acid reflux, I sleep better, back and knees don't hurt as bad, and my blood pressure have gone down slightly, and I havven't even finished induction yet!

Before I started doing Atkins, my weight went from 130 to 180 over a 10 year period of eating all low fat foods (low fat mayo, cheeses, pasta, bread, rice). I was doing aerobics and jogging until I got so heavy that I didn't have the energy or the nerves to show up at the gym the way I looked. I would drop my calories to 1200 a day, exercise, and lose 10 pounds at the most, but I was always tired, miserable, food consumed my thoughts every second of the day until I would break down and quit dieting. My health was getting worse and worse until my bloodpressure was sky high, diagnosed with acid reflux disease, my knees and back hurt so bad that I couldn't even stand up straight until I got warmed up in the morning.

My friend lost 60 pounds doing Atkins and she's down to 135 now. My doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me except for the acid reflux and the high blood pressure, and he gave me the green light to start Atkins. He said losing weight will stop most of my aches and pains and other health problems I've been having. I'd say stick to your guns and keep at it!

I think you're doing the right thing about reading and finding out everything you can about it. If I wanted to go somewhere that I haven't gone before, I'd get a map. Otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time getting there!

Yaseruzo~!

Last edited by Yaseruzo~! : Tue, Feb-04-03 at 13:53.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 14:36

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I'm sorry you are going thru this with your brother. I work with someone who is totally against my way of eating and constantly makes remarks - - I told him nicely that "I do my thing, you do yours" but he bases his attitude by what his brother went thru when he did Atkins 15 yrs ago - His cholestral was sky high despite being on the WOE and had a Stroke. Now my view on this is that he probably had blocked arteries before starting Atkins and thus it was a time-bomb ready to explode and just happen to be that time 6 months into Atkins. Now is this typical - - NO - - and coming from a family where my father passed on at age 49 from a Stroke if anyone should run away from Low Carb/High Fat would be me - - But I did my research and I know that my blood tests have been the best ever and I feel great at almost 40!

I let him have his say but stick with my program and never let him get me down - - don't let it get you down! You are doing what is best for you and you will see - - they ALL will be laughing in the near future
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 16:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What I would do:

1) Listen politely
2) Ignore everything he says
3) Smile to yourself every time you see him when you prove him wrong.

Nothing kills criticism quicker than success.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 16:46
Registered Member

Default Thanks guys

I am glad he lives in another state, I only talk to him once or twice a week.

thanks guys, it was a bit disturbing but I am feeling better I think?

Kat
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 00:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

February 2002 -----------------------Now
weight 335+ -------------------------302 lbs.
blood pressure 190+/150+ -------130/80
triglycerides over 300 --------------150 or less
total cholesterol 235 ---------------193
constant swelling of legs ----------occasional
allergies to several foods ---------all gone
stomach upset ALL meals ---------gone
lack of energy -----------------------steadily increasing
poor sleep ---------------------------- better sleep
hunger ALL the time ----------------only when I'm empty
ruled by food -------------------------ruled by ME
12 daily meds ------------------------3 daily meds
islets being destroyed -------------islets being improved
unable to walk 100 feet -----------walking everywhere
family dying young ------------------similar results with Atkins

I could go on, but any one of these would keep me low-carbing for life.

Some people, possibly your brother, are blessed with health and metabolisms that do not require extra care. You, and we, need special nutritional care to avoid health problems. If you broke your leg, would he tell you to "walk it off?" We need care that is appropriate to the problem we have. Be thankful your brother is one of the lucky ones, but also be thankful that you know the medicine for your own survival - regardless of his opinion.

Hugs!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:15
Registered Member

Default talked to him this morning

Well I talked with him this morning and I brought how he made me feel. He said he was sorry didnt mean to make me upset but he was glad to here that I took it to looking up more information. Not quitting. he was happy to hear I was getting more information on everything.

So I guess I feel a little better, but I voiced my opinion to him and he respected that. And he wished me a lot of success but to be very very careful..

Thanks for all the support guys, I am soooo glad you are all here...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:32
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Good for you ,Pianocat, and good for your brother. You never really needed his approval, of course, but it sounds like you have his respect on this issue.
Now without further distraction, listen to your body and see how things go for you eating LC.