Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Soft drink consumption and obesity: it is all about fructose.

Soft drink consumption and obesity: it is all about fructose.
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
The purpose of the review is to suggest that fructose, a component of both sucrose (common sugar) and high fructose corn syrup, should be of concern to both healthcare providers and the public.
RECENT FINDINGS:
Consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages has increased steadily over the past century and with this increase has come more and more reports associating their use with the risk of overweight, diabetes and cardiometabolic disease.
In a meta-analysis of the relationship between soft drink consumption and cardiometabolic risk, there was a 24% overall increased risk comparing the top and bottom quantiles of consumption.
Several factors might account for this increased risk, including increased carbohydrate load and increased amounts of dietary fructose.
Fructose acutely increases thermogenesis, triglycerides and lipogenesis as well as blood pressure, but has a smaller effect on leptin and insulin release than comparable amounts of glucose.
In controlled feeding studies, changes in body weight, fat storage and triglycerides are observed as well as an increase in inflammatory markers.
SUMMARY:
The present review concludes on the basis of the data assembled here that in the amounts currently consumed, fructose is hazardous to the cardiometabolic health of many children, adolescents and adults.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Nice to read! I wonder how hard the HFCS people will push back against that piece of info....but I remember as a kid my parents and relatives all controlling how often we got to have a soda as, "all the sugar is no good for you."

I am also curious of any studies about the diet soda craze too. years back, I remember my dietitian telling me that I could drink diet pop "like water". I wonder what the chemical makeup of diet soda and the artificial sweetener does in large amounts over time...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 17:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wish they'd realize it's not just the soft drinks, it's the fruit juice too.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 10:17

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I actually noticed something the other day that I thought was somewhat promising.

I was having a terrible craving for sloppy joes, so I checked out all the canned mixes at the store. Couldn't find one even remotely acceptable, but I did notice that the two Hunt's brand mixes listed sugar rather than HFCS in the ingredients. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction IMO.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 12:29

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

One suspects that had we continued with an occasional 8 oz soft drink and and orange, banana, or apple once or twice a day fructose would not have been an issue. Or any number of other things.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 12:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I actually noticed something the other day that I thought was somewhat promising.

I was having a terrible craving for sloppy joes, so I checked out all the canned mixes at the store. Couldn't find one even remotely acceptable, but I did notice that the two Hunt's brand mixes listed sugar rather than HFCS in the ingredients. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction IMO.

Now I'm craving them! I think they'd be pretty easy to make from scratch, use some sugar sub instead!

I have a big thing of ham to use up, maybe I can grind up some ham and make sloppy joes with it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 13:27
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Since it contains no fructose, I'm considering picking up some dextrose powder for those rare cooking applications (mainly holiday desserts we share with family) where only real sugar will do. I'm starting to think a lot of the problems we attribute to carbs in general are actually due to fructose.

A quick web search shows it's quite inexpensive at supplement shops catering to bodybuilders.

Last edited by Wyvrn : Thu, Dec-10-09 at 13:42. Reason: rephrase
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

The ad at the bottom of this page is HFCS propaganda site brought to you by the Corn Refiners Association.

Forum Moderation -1
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 14:50

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

hmmm. All I get is an ad banner for a tea site. If it was there, it's gone now.

ETA: Ah. Rotating ads. Maybe not gone.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 15:13
Dog is my copilot

BF:

I don't think the HFCS ads represent a conflict of interest, just poor aim on the part of the content-targeted ad service.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 16:21

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
Since it contains no fructose, I'm considering picking up some dextrose powder for those rare cooking applications (mainly holiday desserts we share with family) where only real sugar will do. I'm starting to think a lot of the problems we attribute to carbs in general are actually due to fructose.

glucose (that is dextrose) and fructose harm us in different ways, but both are quite bad, especially for those who through long term abuse have aquired significant metabolic damage.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 16:58
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass
glucose (that is dextrose) and fructose harm us in different ways, but both are quite bad, especially for those who through long term abuse have aquired significant metabolic damage.
It depends on the dose. If we don't eat any glucose, our own liver will manufacture 100 grams or so per day. Without it, we die. I don't think consuming an occasional dessert containing a teaspoon (4 grams) or so of the stuff will hurt you, even if you are metabolically impaired.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 17:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I don't think consuming an occasional dessert containing a teaspoon (4 grams) or so of the stuff will hurt you, even if you are metabolically impaired.
but we are NOT eating just 4g it's 50.6 lb/year of added fructose = 22,951.77g=62.8815616g/d the average USA adult consumes.
It really is about time you realized how much fructose you consume daily really is.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 19:51
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
but we are NOT eating just 4g it's 50.6 lb/year of added fructose = 22,951.77g=62.8815616g/d the average USA adult consumes.
It really is about time you realized how much fructose you consume daily really is.
How much I personally consume? At <20 grams total carbs per day, most of the carbs being from eggs, liver, lactose and oysters, none of that from products containing added sugar, I'd say very, very little.

On Turkey day, I had one serving of creme brulee, which had less than a teaspoon of sucrose in it (I know this because I made it), and a spoonful of home made, unsweetened cranberry orange relish. What I am considering is to replace that spoonful of sucrose with pure dextrose.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 05:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
How much I personally consume? At <20 grams total carbs per day, most of the carbs being from eggs, liver, lactose and oysters, none of that from products containing added sugar, I'd say very, very little.

On Turkey day, I had one serving of creme brulee, which had less than a teaspoon of sucrose in it (I know this because I made it), and a spoonful of home made, unsweetened cranberry orange relish. What I am considering is to replace that spoonful of sucrose with pure dextrose.
But I'm sure you accept that your personal consumption of carbs and fructose is NOT TYPICAL.

Excessive fructose intake (more than 50 g/d) is probably the cause of Type 2 Diabetes.

The amounts you are talking about are trivial but the message that the average reader needs to understand is that typically the average US diet involves 66g/d of HFCS.
That is the total amount sold divided by the total population.
I don't think most people have any idea that they are consuming anywhere like that amount of fructose daily.