Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Thirsty all the time

I know I haven't upped my sodium lately, but since being on Induction (day 6) I've noticed that I'm thirsty all the time. I wasn't this thirsty a week ago before I started low-carbing.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? It does make it easier to drink water, but it's a little odd to me to be this thirsty all the time. I must be drinking 2 - 3 times the amount of water I drank previously (and I was a pretty big water drinker already).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 18:06

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hiya,

LC eating is naturally diuretic. Carbs cause you to retain water (and bloat you) so no need for as much intake. Without carbs water passes through a lot quicker...hence the need and the desire to drink more

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 05:54

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

You're not alone. I am thirsty all the time. I keep a one liter water bottle on my desk at all times and fill it up 3-5 times each day in about a 10 hour work day. Then when I get home I will allow myself a glass or two of diet rite (no caffiene or aspartime) or Koolaid (sweetened with splenda).

I had recently asked about sports drinks and staying hydrated during strenous excercise while LCing and it was suggested to me that I add 1/4 tbsp of salt to each liter of Koolaid. I don't know if this is any interest to you but I thought that I would pass it on.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 06:27

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've always noticed that the more water I drink, the more I feel the need for it. Who knows why, I just drink more!!

N.