Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154.5/145/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default wine on induction question

Hi,

I started induction January 24, and have been following it pretty much to the letter. The exception was back in the first 2-3 days when I added back a cup of real tea instead of decaf to help alleviate the caffeine-withdrawal headaches. I have started to lose (YES!) and do not want to undermine my progress. The scale and tape measure have provided some encouragement.

I have an upcoming celebration event (this Friday) and would love to be able to have a glass of wine or even a wine spritzer with the other revelers – what do you think? I know it's definitely not on the induction acceptable foods list, and I would like to join in, but I do not want to shoot myself in the foot either...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 14:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rosalie,

Won't this Friday be the end of your two weeks Induction? If that is so, I think a spritzer ot two won't be the end of the world.

Only you can make this decision of course, but just be aware of a couple of points.
Firstly, stick to dry wines - fewer carbs. Plain spirits are carb free, as long as you use carb free mixers.
Secondly, alcohol does slow down weight loss, as the body uses alcohol as fuel before food.
And lastly, you'll find (as most of us have) that you'll get a "buzz" from a much smaller amount of alcohol than before.

Do enjoy your celebration, Rosalie. Life is for living!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 19:27

BF:

Thanks for responding, Rosebud! I appreciate the help! I wonder if you would mind another question or two...

Re: Won't this Friday be the end of your two weeks Induction? If that is so, I think a spritzer ot two won't be the end of the world.

True, Friday will be 2 weeks, but I had thought of continuing induction for a bit longer. A big reason that I moved from Zoning to Atkins was because I found the Zone too complicated. I am finding Atkins induction much easier to follow. Also, a big plus for me is that many of the foods on the acceptable foods list are already some of my favorites - like bacon, cheese, salad, olives, steak, eggs. For the first time in my life, I was able to open a package of bacon and only cook 2 rashers - because I know I can have more tomorrow if I want without feeling that I am digging my grave with my fork. Wow! Being on a diet that has foods that I like - what a concept! Oops..I digress.. So, here's the question part - if I plan to continue on induction, does that change your answer?
(My reasons to continue are: 1 - easy to follow; 2 - hoped to lose more weight before moving off induction) Do you think that most people stay on induction only 2 weeks?

TIA, Rosalie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 19:48
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rosalie,

If you check "the book" again, you'll see where Dr A himself suggests that it often suits people to stay on Induction for longer than 2 weeks. The only argument against that is that it can possibly make it harder to eventually move into maintenance.

However, that is a decision that only you can make and I can only wish you the very best.

I think though that because you are past that first two weeks, you are past the REAL Induction, where you are retraining your body.

All this is a very longwinded way of saying no, it doesn't change my answer. Just remember you may be affected more quickly by the alcohol, and enjoy!

The other worry about alcohol is that it may tempt you into eating something you shouldn't. But even if that does happen (and forewarned is forearmed) all you have to do is get right back onto your eating plan the next day.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 08:38

BF:

Thanks, Rosebud!

I'm looking forward even more now to celebrating with the family! Stopping at one glass will not call attention to me, but abstaining would - and this day is about my daughter, not me!

This is not to say that I want to have a spritzer for the wrong reasons - I would like to have one! And since the family all knows this, to not have one would steer the focus onto me. But since our older 2 children are away at college, they have probably missed the flyers and newspaper ads that went out, announcing my diet! (LOL - J/K!)

I do know from the book that some people stay longer on induction and that this is within the guidelines. I guess I am reluctant to do any more calculating than I have to. On the Zone I got so bogged down in balancing everything that I finally gave up and gained back all I had lost (6 yrs ago). Perhaps this is not a good reason to stay on induction.