Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: non-specific LC
Stats: 186/175/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default I CANNOT get enough calories!

I know this is a reasonably common problem but...

I've been at this for a little over 2 weeks, and have only lost 3 pounds (water weight, probably) and no inches anywhere I'd really like to lose inches. Prior to doing Atkins, I hardly ate meat at all. Now it feels like it's ALL I eat, and try as I might, I cannot get above 1300 calories without adding carbs. If I can learn from the experiences of all of you on this forum who've been at this much longer than me, I should conclude my problem is not enough calories.

But I am never hungry, I eat something every couple hours. I've been trying to add calories by using extra fats. However, my current proportions seem dead-on, and I'm concerned it'll send me into a proportion of calories from fat that's unhealthy (i.e. >70%).

HELP!!! I really think I'm at my limit for the amount of meat a day! Is it okay to just trudge on as best I can? What else can I do?

A very meat-fatigued, but a very determined not to quit,
chisharkie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Crisharkie,

You are doing just fine for your assumed lean body mass of 110 pounds. Don't be concerned about 70% fat. I eat about that much. You could increase your cheese to add protein, fat and calcium. Select white or light color cheese like Swiss. I also love whole milk mozzarella but it may be hard to find in your local supermarket.

Stay on the same course and don't eat extra food simply to increase calories. If you feel satisfied, great.

Good luck,

Kent
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 20:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: I CANNOT get enough calories!

Quote:
Originally posted by chisharkie
Prior to doing Atkins, I hardly ate meat at all.

This may be your problem. You've been low on protein for quite a while and now that your body is getting enough, it's using what it's getting to make much needed repairs and rebuild muscle that you've been missing. Stick with it. Once your body is satisfied that it's gotten enough to do what it needs to, the weight should start coming off more steadily. While 1,300 calories does seem a bit low, I'd say keep doing what you're doing but to try not to go below 1,200; a body that is stressed from too few calories is not going to let go of the extra fat easily.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 01:49

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

A salad a day dressed with olive oil would push your calorie count up.
Robert
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 02:05

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Definitely do not want to sound like miss-know-it-all , but I noticed in your profile that you haven't read any of the books. You said it's hard to get about 1300 cals without eating carbs--but you're SUPPOSED to be eating carbs--up to 20 g. This adds a lot of versatility to your diet. Please read the book--it will REALLY, really help!

Good luck!!
N.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:50

BF:

Chisharkie...

I took a peek at your journal and it seems like you're eating a lot of processed salty meats like salami and braunschweiger and you could be experiencing some water retention. The trail mix could also be causing you some problems (noticed you ate it on at least two days) because of the high glycemic nature of it (and it's not allowed on induction). Tofutti bars are also something that would not be allowed on induction.
I'd like to suggest that you limit the salty processed meats and use fresh meats cooked in butter or olive oil, eggs cooked in butter. Keep using the mayonnaise for your tuna salad and maybe add some spices and herbs and use it as a dip for veggies and meat. Chicken and tuna are good sources of protein as are beef and pork. Also cut out the trail mix and tofutti bars for a couple of weeks.
Good advice to read the book if you haven't already and just forgot to put it in your profile.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 240/205/145
BF:
Progress: 37%

I've have the same problem as your having and I'm making some dip today to use for veggies and pork rinds. Maybe something as little as that might help? We are all learning together from this forum and reading each other posts. So I feel that any question and answer is a stepping stone to our learning!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: non-specific LC
Stats: 186/175/135
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks all for the advice! This is such a learning period for me(and such a challenge to my culinary creativity)!

Lisa N, yes, you voiced some things that I've wondered about...that the calorie thing is probably an adjustment as I get used to getting more protein in my diet.

I think you probably do have a point too about the processed meats (but they're so TASTY ). I have been retaining water, so I'll try and eat more whole foods for protein. The nuts, too, I have cut back on, if for no other reason than they typically set me over my carb limit.

As for the tofutti bars, those have been till now my last ditch attempts to curb the chocolate cravings. Why aren't tofu products legal?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 16:10

BF:

It's not that Tofu isn't legal, it's that the tofutti bars have sugar in them, don't they (or corn syrup or other sweetener)? A general rule of thumb for indution is that if it isn't on the list of allowed foods for induction, you shouldn't be eating it. Things like nuts and tofutti bars aren't on the allowed foods list for induction.
If you've having a difficult time with sugar cravings, have you considered using chromium and/or L-Glutamine to help control those cravings? Another strategy is to eat a snack high in protein and fat when a sugar craving hits.
With chocolate cravings, it's probably not the chocolate you're craving (if you think so, try having some unsweetened chocolate ), it's the sugar you're really craving. Besides...feeding a craving isn't the best way to overcome it; it just prolongs it.