Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/209/195
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default First day on the Atkins, 1 easy question

Well today was the first day on the Atkins diet for the wife and I. Has not been so bad so far, just glad I found all the recipes for pork rhines Those will come in really handy.
I amgoing to track our intake at Fitday.com, and I was just wondering if this looks okay, or if I should be changing something.
Here is what we had today.

Thanks for any input
Randy and Janice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:40

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I don't see any vegetables there. Your carbs should come from vegetables, not processed meats such as ham. You should also use fresh eggs and not powdered. All your foods should be fresh if you can do it. Cheese is limited to 3 ounces. If that's all you ate all day, you haven't eaten enough. Don't forget things like butter and olive oil are ok to use! You should try to get some salads in your menu too. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

DarkLotus is right....too much cheese and you need to add some veggies. Keeping your carbs well below 20 grams isn't going to help you lose any faster and could even hinder you a bit. Don't be afraid of using butter, mayonnaise and olive oil with your foods; you don't want to keep your calories so low that your body starts trying to hold onto fat stores thinking that a famine has begun and adding fats is a good way to keep the calories up.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:50

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Randy & Janice and welcome to the board.

I guess those are Randy's stats under the NameStats: 220/209/195

I agree with DarkLotus: where are the salads and veggies? ????? They are very important and can contribute to the losing. And the real eggs, and the fresh meats, fish & poultry? Ham is very salty & can cause water retention. What else is in 'powdered eggs' besides eggs?
1 cubic inch of hard cheese = 1 ounce and Induction limits you to 3 ounces daily. Cheese is also very salty.

Are you drinking a lot of water? At least 64 ounces daily.

One rule of thumb about how much to eat is:

10 - 12 times your target weight in calories.
So aiming for 195 pounds, you'd want to eat between 1950 and 2340 calories daily.

And that should be divided as:
70% fat
25% protein and
5% carbs of the good kind found on Atkins Induction List at first.

Hope this will help in planning meals and shopping.

#5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 08:28
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi and welcome to the forum

I agree with everything said before I got here and I would like to add a few more things. Eat your food as unprocessed as possible. This makes it easier to track your carbs and to avoid hidden carbs.

If you are doing Atkins then salad and vegetables are not a good idea, they are mandatory. The good doc says so himself during the chapter on induction. And consider taking at least a mutivitamin.

You only have about ten percent of your body weight to lose, so think about not being on induction very long, just enough to break your dependence on refined, high carb items like sugar or flour. You should be getting ready for the ongoing weight loss section of the Atkins diet.

And if you don't have access to the Atkins book, you can get a ton of information about the Atkins diet at the Atkins center website. ( www.atkinscenter.com ) They even have a list of all the foods to have while on induction and how to move onto the next phase.

fat protein vegggies fat protein veggies fat protein veggies

slowday