Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 02:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Weight slowdown with Atkins Bars

In reading over some of the threads about the Atkins bars, I noticed that several people said that eating the bars slowed down their weight loss. My friend who introduced me to LC dieting said that she was able to eat the bars without any problems and never went out of ketosis.

I was just wondering if those of you who said their weight loss slowed when they ate the bars went out of ketosis, or did you manage to stay in ketosis and just lose at a slower rate?

(You can tell I'm a real carb addict -- only 4 days into induction and I'm already planning what sweet I can have in 10 more days! I'm really hoping that I'll be one of the lucky who is able to eat the fake sweets with no ill effects).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 02:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I thought I was one of the lucky ones, but I'm not. I just recently replaced my glucometer and discovered that my glucose response to maltitol is as bad as my response to sugar. Everyone here is going to tell you YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) - so try it if you want and see what happens. If you use them and have a stall, most people would suggest removing the bars as your first tweak to try to get over the stall.

However, it is also important to keep in mind that your body WILL insist on occasional periods of adjustment. You'll lose inches but not pounds during that time, which is one of the reasons we suggest so strongly that you measure yourself before beginning. It is helpful to know where you began in size as well as weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 09:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I'll just add that you can read more about it in the link over to the right, "the truth about low carb sweeteners info" under "quick links". Basically, although Atkins and other manufacturers insist that the body doesn't process the sugar alcohols, it's apparent that they *can* cause an insulin response, kick you out of ketosis, etc.

Another problem with them is that they can be a powerful laxative. Don't stray too far from the can!

Your best bet is to try to make your own treats at home. It doesn't have to be complicated: some sugar-free jello with real whipped cream can be heavenly. Heck, even just a little bowl of whipped cream makes me happy! If you have more time on your hands, you can make your own protein bars, sugar free cheesecake, 'truffles', etc out of Splenda. Much better than those with sugar alcohols. There are some recipes in the 'sweet treats' section of 'the kitchen' recipes forum here on the site.

...of course, I'm willing to bet that since you're only 4 days into induction, you'll still lose your sweet tooth! At the very least, it will diminish. Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 10:27

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%
Default Hi

I have to totally agree with kristine.Those things stalled me for many weeks and I just thought that it ws not them as I kept reading that they were "legal" Another thing that some,like myself,have to be worried about is that just the taste of something sweet can sometimes cause the urge to splurge (double whammy ) You are right,for some it is ok,but learn to listen to your body.If you crave,then it may be that bar/SF candy you ate.Slow weight loss is fine but i was stalled from hidden carbs as well as sweeteners.

I have a great recipe for jello/cream cheese that is fast and could not be easier.Let me know if you think it would help.It is called Easy LC Strawberry Cheesecake!..it YUMMY! There again,no sweetener used but it sure made me want more but that is me! *sigh*

Take care,and have a great LC Day!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:56

BF:

Oh boy, a fast and easy strawberry cheesecake? Sounds like heaven to me! I'd love to hear your recipe.

Thank you all for your answers. I can't believe how supportive and informative everyone here is.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 13:23

Default Here it is :-)

Hi mom,

I thought i had better send this along right away to keep you legal

Easy Individual Strawberry Cheesecakes

1 3 oz. pkg. SF Jello
1 8oz. pkg. Cream cheese (light has the least carbs in Philly Brand)
3/4 c. HOT water
1/4 c. cool water

Dissolve jello intothe hot water and stir frequently for about 2 min.Add liquid jello to blender and the cream cheese.Pulse blender.Add cool water.Blend again.Pour into individual custard cups or just anything,really!
6 servings at 2.5 carb each

There you go and hope you enjoy.It does not get much easier than that ad it is a good change from just jello! I used strawberry and it was great but I think most flavors would be good and add variety! I miss lemon so i think that will be my next kind! YUM!

Have a great LC day, Mom,and let me know if you liked it!

You are doing awesome!
Linda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 00:31

BF:

I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try. Wow! A whole block of cream cheese in a dessert. Life is sweet (even without carbs!)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 07:30

Default LOL

Hi Mom,

Happy that this lil' recipe made your day! Yep,a whole block of cheese but as we can have cheese,it all has carbs,so don't forget to count them!! I just take away all the fun,eh??

Believe me,it is all good,so enjoy those few carbs and keep up the good work on this WOL!

Have a Happy LC Day,
Linda