Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 12:43

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I'm not sure, but tests have a percentage error and if your fasting is 10 hours prior to testing compared to 14 hours, it can probably have an impact on the result also, but I'm just guessing this. I had a Nurse Practioner tell me this a long time ago and didn't check it out, but I always fast 14 hours when I do blood work...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 12:57

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks for the info Nancy -- I'll have to read that section again. I do drink ALOT of water and coffee. Usually on the weekends, I have straight shots of tequila but don't drink sugary drinks. Don't eat much fruit...just a couple of teaspoons of crushed pineapple on my cottage cheese in the am. The only other fruits I will occasionally eat are melons and berries. I am happy that the triglycerides came down to 120 from 167 but will keep working on that!

Cajunboy -- I fasted for at least 14 - 16 hours before I had blood work done.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 13:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyW
Usually on the weekends, I have straight shots of tequila
Drinking any alcohol, not just sugary alcohol, will raise triglycerides.
http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/...ne_template.htm

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Sep-01-09 at 14:22.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 04:55

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Very interesting article -- thanks Nancy!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 04:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - 1st rung induct.
Stats: 142.8/130.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Help interpreting results

Hi guys,
I've been low carbing since March.

I got really elevated results and I'm concerned. Historically I've always had low cholesterol (under 200) with good HDL levels. I did read the sticky about recalculating LDL, but feel my triglycerides are very high and don't reflect that I've basically been eating induction.

I've been eating a lot of bacon. and cooking with bacon fat.
Also, coffee consumption has gone from 1 cup a day to 2.
Wondering if the sugar in bacon could be affecting me?

In any case, here are then numbers I got. Please bear in mind I workout daily, I'm lean and wearing a size 4 or 2....so from the outside look very healthy. Feel very healthy and high energy.

LDL 197
HDL 126
Triglycerides: 109
risk ratio 3.1

Any thoughts? I'm worried & alarmed but not ready to toss this WOE out the window.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 22:31
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Have a question. Just got back blood test results. Dr. wanted them because I had a low vitamin D number of 24. So I got the results and it went up to 31. Funny because I never even took the vitamin D3 2000 units she recommended yet. I am though now. But the nurse said she needed to tell me bad news about my cholesterol. Well in the past it was total: lower than 200, LDL around 118, Try: around 50, and the HDL was about 38. So I changed and got into an exercise program with a team fitness group and work out M,W,F for an hour.

Today was with my recollection:
Total: 223
LDL: 158
try 50
HDL: 55

Ratio: 2.9

I was so proud of the HDL I worked so hard for but the nurse on the phone asked if I wanted info on a low cholesterol diet. NOPE. Thanks. She didn't offer me statins because I said I will never take them.

My only question is: Could it be that my LDL went up because my HDL went up? My trainer at the gym said that if my HDL goes up my LDL should go down.

I am pretty low carb but not strict Atkins anymore. I do LC.

Anyone have any answers to that one?

Also, no diabetes, no drinking, no smoking, no caffeine. But both parents with high blood pressure and high cholesterol both on statins and one had 3 strokes in early 60s. Only big reason that worried. I am 40 and with the last 6 months of working out, feel younger and better than when I started this diet last year.

Thanks LCers

Lisa