Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 221/213/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question how do I know when I am in ketosis???

Hi,
I have been reading others post, and a few of them said that they knew they were in ketosis even without having the sticks....
How can you tell???
Thanks,
mommy2nick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 23:42

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default In ketosis?

There is another thread in the Newbies' Questions subforum you might find interesting: Strange sensation/taste in my mouth, is that normal?

I knew I was (finally) in ketosis when I had a metallic taste in my mouth that won't go away. My LC friends tell me I'll get used to it and won't notice it after awhile.

I confirmed the ketosis with the ketostix (btw, someone suggested carefully cutting them in half so you get twice as many, and I did--they are kind of pricey!)

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 03:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear mommy2Nick,

I know when I am in ketosis when I feel really hot at night - it almost feels like a fever. Also I get much less hungry - in fact almost never hungry whether I eat or not. I have never used ketosticks. If you follow the guidelines for whichever plan you are on and you are losing weight you don't need them.

regards,

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/273/165 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 0%

mom,
Just thought I would reply here as well (caught you on my intro and replied there)... I know the Ketostix sound like a pain, and alot of people can do it without, but for me they've been a lifesaver. I have a compulsion to check the scales, and my ketostix have really calmed me down. As far as the expense, I bought 100 (one package) for about 14$, and if I use one a night, that's less than $5 a month. But again, if you find yourself not really needing them to know (you still notice the taste, or there are other indicators you can count on) saving money is good too. This diet is all about what works best for you. Just take care of yourself and stick to your plan!
-teapot
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:09

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi,

Can you tell me where you bought 100 stix for $14.00? I've just started Atkins and am also addicted to the scale.

I'd like to try the stix to see if I can get myself away from that horrible scale. I've even found myself weighing in at different times of the day and trying to rationalize how much my clothes weigh and how much I've eaten. Is that sick or what?

Magic
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:15

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi everyone who is interested in Ketone Sticks. I bought mine at the site below for $9.95 per 100 sticks. There is a shipping charge but if you buy other low carb products from them they will ship them together. They have some pretty neat products. When you access the web site go to Search and plug in Ketone Sticks and it will direct you to them. Hope this helps.

http://www.low-carb.com