Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 12:48
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%
Default The Power of Habit

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. –Aristotle

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. --Robert Collier

Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. --Henry Ford

I just recently finished reading The Power of Overeating by David Kessler on a recommendation from Valerie, and it got me thinking about the power of habit. For many of us, our habits before we started LC drove us to eat lots of refined carbs and sugar. We would get biologically-induced cravings that would be reinforced by being in certain places, thinking about certain foods, and rationalizations about “just this once”, “one bite won’t hurt me”. The problem was that one bite was never enough—one bite would automatically turn into 30 bites because our intellectual faculties would lose out to the primitive biological desire to consume. This cognitive script was so automated that many of us didn’t even realize what was going on, much less have the ability to understand it or control it. This excess consumption of refined carbs was a habit, born of years of visual cues, urges, and a disordered metabolism.

This is NOT a sign of weakness or some defect in our moral character. It does indicate to me that we can develop new, healthy habits to replace the habits that are detrimental to our physical and mental well-being. We need to create these new habits because these foods will always be available—they will not disappear when we reach our respective goal weights. We can create new automated cognitive scripts that will modify our behavior. It is not an easy task, but it is well worth the effort. Given that it takes a while for a new behavior to become automated, to become a habit, the hardest part is the beginning, when we have to consciously retrain ourselves. This is the reason for Atkins Induction phase, the Protein Power Intervention phase, and the first phase of South Beach; they are all designed to jumpstart the formation of new habits. The development and strengthening of new habits is why it becomes easier to adhere to your WOE the longer you have been on it.

What really helped me with this transition was to learn to think of foods in the context of cost-benefit analysis. This is a method used in economics that I learned as an economics major in college, but it applies equally well to almost any decision-making process. When I see a cookie now, I do not focus on how good it tastes. I focus on the potential cost of eating that cookie—yes I will have 5 minutes of enjoyment, but those 5 minutes are not worth the physical and mental cost of gaining several pounds and feeling miserable. The benefits of reaching my long-term goal far outweigh the short-term pleasure that I’d derive from eating it because of the inherent costs of eating it. This allows me to use my rational intellectual powers to control my behavior. At first, I had to make a conscious effort to think this way, but now this thought process is a habit—it happens automatically and almost subconsciously.

What are the new habits that you’ve developed to support your WOE?

--Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 16:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 320/165/149 Female 78
BF:

I need some new healthy eating habits. Learning mode here, please share what works!

I can say that by flossing and brushing after meals helps that the taste of my food won't linger, and the minty toothpaste is kinda nice.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 16:38
Absurdtive

Hi KTP. Check out this thread that I posted a few months ago--it may give you additional food for thought.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Weight Loss

What are some of the other habits that I've developed?
--Making leftovers when we cook so that we'll have food for lunch--it's a lot easier to eat homemade meals when they don't require a lot of extra work

--Baking a crustless quiche every Sunday so that we'll have quick and delicious microwaveable breakfast during the workweek

--Keeping a 1 liter water bottle with me at all times--this makes it much easier to get my water intake in without having to visit the water cooler 14 times a day. I find that I feel much better when I drink enough water.

--Getting rid of clothes when they no longer fit--this provides cognitive reinforcement of my WOE-as-habit.

--Taking my measurements every two weeks--this provides tangible proof of progress

There are definitely more, but that's a few of them. I hope that helps you, and I look forward to hearing what habits other TDCers use.

--Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 18:43

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

Melissa,

Great new post!! I have started removing the old clothes like you suggested but I have them in a amiore.......do you actually donate them and get them out of the house?

I to am looking at this as a WOE and an investment in my health. I look at food off plan as something I really don't want anymore..........I don't crave food like I used to and I don't remember a time I did not crave food!

My feet don't hurt now when I am done working and can go shopping if I need too..........never could do that 45 #'s ago. I am still not as active as I know I will be but am looking positively at this journey and feel so supported with people like you along with me!!

Thanks

Gloria
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 22:17
Absurdtive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloquilts
Melissa,

Great new post!! I have started removing the old clothes like you suggested but I have them in a amiore.......do you actually donate them and get them out of the house?

I to am looking at this as a WOE and an investment in my health. I look at food off plan as something I really don't want anymore..........I don't crave food like I used to and I don't remember a time I did not crave food!

My feet don't hurt now when I am done working and can go shopping if I need too..........never could do that 45 #'s ago. I am still not as active as I know I will be but am looking positively at this journey and feel so supported with people like you along with me!!

Thanks

Gloria

Hi Gloria. I did actually donate them to get them out of the house. I sent a box of clothes to forum member GeeWee who replied to a post, I sent a few boxes of clothes to a couple of my old roommates, and the rest went to Goodwill and Out of the Closet. Between the two of us, I think we donated about 15 large garbage bags worth of clothing since both of us had entire wardrobes that no longer fit us. It felt really good to be able to do something nice for people in need during these tough economic times. At the same time, it also felt really good to make room in our closets for the future. I am now 4 sizes smaller than when I started, and I have no desire to ever go back. My hope is that if I ever found myself gaining weight, that I would take steps to deal with the problem very early on. My goal is that the only times that I will gain weight once I reach goal are for pregnancies--and then I'll need maternity clothes, not my old size 22s.

I am glad that you are noticing the health benefits of the weight that you've already lost. That is such a great motivator to keep going.

--Melissa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 04:35

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks Melissa,

I am off on Monday I work the next 3 days but I think I will bag them up and get them out of here! Some of the tops I thought I could make smaller but the pants are just too much work.

This way of eating has become habit and my friends even see it. Went to a barbecue yesterday and they had made it LC so I had easy choices of what to eat!! I was so pleased and no tempting dessert, although I had offered to bring one and was told no we don't need it.

So the habit has finally reached family and now friends............they see I have stayed true to plan..........this is so unusual for me that I am geeked I have lasted so long that I am planning a life as a smaller person!! Just can't wait!!
Gloria
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 07:39

Plan: Bari post-op, lowcarb
Stats: 497.1/328.8/275 Male 6 feet, 2 inches
BF:Goal = healthy
Progress: 76%

I agree on the getting rid of clothes by donating them to a Goodwill or Salvation Army. You know what, there are a lot of needy folks out there who are plus sized and there's hardly ever any decent clothes for them at the thrift stores. Also the clothes are very expensive. It's a good practice.

Back to the original thread, I overeat or had a habit of overeating after I got "done" with something, whether it be a project or task... It was my stress release valve. Now I'm finding a walk does just as good. I've got a long way to go, but I'm learning.

Thanks for the cool thread.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 08:32

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

I have a problem with late night eating. It's late night to other people but not me really since I'm a night owl. I don't eat until around noon for my breakfast and then eat dinner with the family around 6 pm. Come 10 at night I'm hungry again. Or even if I get a breakfast in earlier, I'm still hungry late at night but that would be a 4th meal. Not good.

I've been trying to drink tons of liquids in the evenings, and stay away from the kitchen. That means someone else does the dishes, and straightens in there. I'm afraid I'll snack.

I also have quit making LC desserts. I never eat one serving of them and it just adds extra calories and carbs. If I know I"m going to have a dessert, I'll cut one of my meals in half so I have room for the cals/carbs.

I still have not gotten portion size under control yet...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 10:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 320/165/149 Female 78
BF:

Eating on a smaller plate helps me. My eyes see more food, less plate. Somehow that satisfies.

Wonder if I ate blindfolded if I would slow down and savor the tastes?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 11:10
Absurdtive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
I have a problem with late night eating. It's late night to other people but not me really since I'm a night owl. I don't eat until around noon for my breakfast and then eat dinner with the family around 6 pm. Come 10 at night I'm hungry again. Or even if I get a breakfast in earlier, I'm still hungry late at night but that would be a 4th meal. Not good.

I've been trying to drink tons of liquids in the evenings, and stay away from the kitchen. That means someone else does the dishes, and straightens in there. I'm afraid I'll snack.

I also have quit making LC desserts. I never eat one serving of them and it just adds extra calories and carbs. If I know I"m going to have a dessert, I'll cut one of my meals in half so I have room for the cals/carbs.

I still have not gotten portion size under control yet...

Hi Kris. What time do you normally go to bed? If you really don't have breakfast until noon and you go to bed at like 2am, then I see no reason why you couldn't have a third meal around 10pm--that would really be your dinner. If you already had 3 meals that day, just make them smaller so that you can have a 4th one that's not extremely heavy; if you are hungry, then you should eat. Just eat something LC. If you are concerned about this, you can track your food intake in your journal or in Fitday/MY PLAN to see where you are. You may actually be eating far too little and your body may be telling you so.

I agree with you on LC desserts. I only make them for special occasions, when I know that there will be a bunch of people eating and not much left in the way of leftovers. Otherwise I will eat a slice of LC cheesecake every night, which is too much AS for me. So I made one for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas. Tomorrow my cousin is making one for my bridal shower, but there shouldn't really be leftovers if everyone eats a slice.

--Melissa
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP155
Eating on a smaller plate helps me. My eyes see more food, less plate. Somehow that satisfies.?

I agree with KTP155 - I stopped using a regular size dinner plate and will use either the dessert or luncheon size plates. I find I don't have as much food to put on the larger plate anyways
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 12:29
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fantastic post!

Kathleen helped me to find a routine that worked for me and I find that if I follow it, I build up enough strength to say no when non routine "things" pop up.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 11:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great thread Melissa!

Demi found this that proves what you are saying....

Quote:
It takes 66 days to form a habit

It takes 66 days for a healthy resolution to become an ingrained habit, researchers have claimed.

That was the average time it took for volunteers in a study to begin doing automatically something they had adopted as a daily duty, such as eating fruit with their lunch or going for a run before dinner.

It means if you make a New Year's resolution to exercise or eat healthily and do it daily until March 7, it is likely to stick.

The research, the first to investigate how long it takes to form a habit, has significant implications for people who want to adopt a healthy lifestyle or stick to a diet.

The same team has now been funded by the Medical Research Council for more research looking at how to use habit creation in weight loss.

"What we found was that it takes 66 days on average for people in our study to acquire a habit," says Professor Jane Wardle, of University College London, who carried out the study with Dr Phillippa Lally.

"It varied between individuals, but the finding is that if you do something everyday in the same situation, it will become an automatic reaction in response to those situational cues, a habit. It is the first time this has been established."

"Performing an action for the first time requires planning, even if plans are formed only moments before the action is performed, and attention.

"As behaviours are repeated in consistent settings they then begin to proceed more efficiently and with less thought as control of the behaviour transfers to cues in the environment that activate an automatic response - a habit."

In the research, being reported in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the researchers set out to investigate how long it took for the repetition of behaviour to reach a stage of 'automacity', where it is performed whenever the situation is encountered without thinking, awareness or intention.

The volunteers who took part in the study were asked to choose a healthy eating, drinking or exercise behaviour that they would like to make into a habit.

It had to be done in response to a particular cue, such as eating a piece of fruit with lunch, drinking a bottle of water with lunch, or running for 15 minutes before dinner. Participants were asked to try to carry out the behaviour every day.

Each day they also completed a test designed to measure features of habits which are central to automaticity, including lack of awareness and lack of control.

Results showed that whilst the average time to form a habit was 66 days, more complex behaviours took longer, whilst an exercise habit took longer to form than a healthy eating or drinking habit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...rm-a-habit.html
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 12:07
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Hey, I missed this thread until today! And I still haven't read that Kessler book yet, there are still 8 people ahead of me on the library hold list!

I don't think we can emphasize the power of habit enough. When we talk about lifestyle & way of eating, the habits that we have are the foundation of that, I think. My habits used to be to go to drive thrus at lunch and stop at the convenience store for junk food on way home from work. Now my habits include packing breakfast to work, coming home for a salad for lunch and cooking a lean protein for dinner at home. I would have to go out of my way and make a special effort to stop for chips at the store or go to drive thru for lunch. Heck, I don't think I even remember to keep enough cash in my wallet anymore to do either of those anymore.

But those habits take time to build. It's also important not to cultivate the good habits, figure out the ones that work and don't work for us and practice them until they become second nature.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 12:43

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think I must have changed about 100 habits over the years refining my food.

Breakfast within an hour...
A weekly shopping trip...
A weekly cook-ahead time...
Pampering myself every hour...
New list of regular things from the store...
New bedtime and waking routines...

it goes on and on. I notice I make new routines too as life changes. My DD grew up and now that I cook for one, it's different.