Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Problems with Food Intollerances

I'm wondering if anyone else has foods that they can't eat because it makes them break out or feel like they have a cold.
My allergist says I have intollerances not allergies. But I've read they are really the same thing just that intollerances are lesser.
I can't eat much wheat, milk (cheese), eggs, tomatoes, oranges, beans, and chocolate. Now the last three aren't a problem to me. But these food limitations make low carbing, heck regular eating, very differcult. Has anyone had similar problems?
Its really disturbing when you find out that intollerances to things such as wheat can cause cravings for such things.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 15:21
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lessara:

Poor you. Yes, food intolerances suck. I don't have food allergies, per se, but I tested "severe" for 97 food intolerances at one point. Guess what, sugar was #1! I also had severe environmental allergies (10 things in total - mould, dust, wool, cotton, dandelion, maple... you get the picture). On top of that I had chemical sensitivities (perfume, cleaners etc.).

I was put on a candida diet for about 2 months (no dairy, no sugar, no grains - basically no foods that contain any yeast, fungus or mould). Within 6 weeks I stopped my allergy shots!!!! I was stunned. I guess my body's immune system became so compromised by the huge amounts of sugar I was eating, my body started overreacting to everything.

I really hope you will get as lucky as I did. You may find in a short period of time that you are able to tolerate some of the foods you like in small doses once your body is no longer be hammered by the affects of sugar. I agree with you. I believe most cravings for the things we eat are the result of food intolerance. Those who subscribe to the "your body is craving the micronutrients" theory are severely food intolerant, justifying why they can't give up their addiction.

Best of luck,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 18:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Lessara, I had a terrible problem with eggs about 2 months after starting LCing. I broke out in scaley, itching, psoriasis like condition on my forehead and in my scalp. After eliminating eggs it went away. I tried eggs again in small quantities again in the summer, and have since been able to have more liberal amounts again without problems. I wonder if it has to do with a deep down detoxification that takes longer than the lnduction timeframe??
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%

I find that I now get all stuffed up if I "slip" and indulge in pasta. I never thought I had a wheat allergy, but it seems I do. It makes it less appealing to go off the track.

I read somewhere that, after the initial detox period, if you add back the offending food, but always keep additions at least 4 days apart, you might be able to tolerate it again. It will probably take some experimentation, but might be worth it.

Good luck!

Patty
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 20:44
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile I'm going to do just that..

I am giving up eggs, dairy, and wheat. I don't eat sugar so I'm safe there. This makes breakfast hard but I have some left over lunch meat from Sunday's Superbowl dinner so I will have an easier time this week. My lunches are all safe. (Steak and Mushrooms). I will get back to let you know how I'm doing.
I'll stay with CALP for all I know, its my intollerances that is making me suffer not the diet itself. I'm giving myself a month to sort this all out. Think this is a good idea?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 16:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Wow, no eggs or dairy? I don't envy you, but I hope it works out for you.

I found that after eliminating wheat for a long time, then having some whole wheat toast, I had big time gas and bloating.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 07:03

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

You may want to also check out the relation to blood type as well. It may help you pinpoint your intolerances better. I know when I gave up some of my blood type intolerances it made a huge difference!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:29

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default food intolerances

Wow, thought I was the only one trying to do LC without dairy. That's not easy--no snacking on cheese or cream cheese, or even whipping cream! (I have been able to handle frozen yogurt okay--with its active cultures--but I haven't found a LC version!)

As for eggs, I find that I can tolerate boiled eggs much better than prepared other ways (something different about what happens to the protein when it's boiled). And I don't seem to have difficulty when eggs are an ingredient (unless they are the major ingredient) as they are so diluted.

As for chocolate, it gives me a headache, but I find that there are time when only chocolate will do! So I've been experimenting with making LC chocolate recipes--don't like the gassy effects of maltitol. Again, not easy, as most of the recipes I've read involve cream and/or cream cheese!

Oh, and soy does bad things to me, so have been finding it hard to make decent-tasting LC substitutes for baked goods. Soy affects me worse than wheat.

Didn't mean to sound whiney.

Glad to meet someone else like me. Hope we can be successful and conquer the difficulties!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 11:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Question Hmmm

Your blood type can show you your intolerances? Really?
I'm O which from what I read previously means I should be low carbing. But then why do eggs bother me so?
What really fustrates me is how limited my breakfasts are, when meat is not a cheap thing. If I'm invited to a brunch I end up just eating bacon and sausage, which I heard isn't too good for you.
Can intolerances, by not just making you eat carbs, slow your weight lose down too?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 12:52
Mad Scientist

BF:
Default According to your blood type,

Hi Lessara:

According to Dr. D'Adamo, different blood types react to certain lectins in foods. In comparing your intolerances according to your blood type, type Os should severely restrict dairy products. Goat cheese and mozzarella are OK. They also should avoid wheat and oranges. They don't utilize beans that well either. Most of your intolerances are "O" type except for tomatoes and chocolate, which are considered "neutral".

If you are interested in the book, it's called "EAt Right For Your Type". I used to follow the diet until I became very hypoglycemic. I'm type A so I'm apparently supposed to follow a nearly vegetarian, higher-carb diet. You can see why I got hypoglycemic. God, I was hungry all the time. Ironically, I remember being relieved when I found out I was type A because I was already a vegetarian. I was so thankful I wasn't a type O. How things changed within 2 years. However, they have a very active forum and lots of people on it swear by the WOE. But then, processed, highly refined foods are generally not recommended, which would benefit virtually everyone starting the diet.

As kjturner pointed out, you might be able to adapt some of the prinicples to your intolerances. There's also a cookbook available in most bookstores that may help you out.

Good luck,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Jan-29-03 at 12:56.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 23:44

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%
Lightbulb

I have several food intolerances... Soy and wheat being the worst.
Allergies and intolerances are different. An allergy is an abnormal IMMUNE response to a subtance whereas intolerances are related to how you as an individual digest and respond to particular foods... thats why it is hard to test accurately for intolerances... everyone reacts differently.

Last edited by Jezebel : Wed, Jan-29-03 at 23:45.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 05:51

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I try to follow as much as I can the ER4YT guidelines, and I truly think he's absolutely correct as far as O's and B's are concerned, but I think he needs to research A's much much better. I became diabetic eating like an A *should*. I have also found, through kineseology, that beef/red meats are NOT a problem for me, quite the reverse, in fact. I digest red meats just fine! In fact, I do better on beef/bison than I do on 'lighter' meats. When my blood sugar is out of control I have found if I eat bison with mushrooms I can get my BG to come down. I can also eat a huge steak (with butter on it!) and go straight to bed and not have a bit of trouble with my stomach. (Oh, I know, it isn't good to go to bed right after a heavy meal, but it truly won't bother me if it's steak). My BG will look OK when I get up too (not as much nightime rise as on other foods).
As for being an O-type and eggs, well, they aren't the highest quality protein for O's. Try this: fry them in ghee and without breaking the yolks. Eat them all by themselves and see how you do. You may not be able to tolerate eggs that have had the yolks mixed in. (see the Schwarbein folks about this). How about plain hard boiled eggs? I find they will bother me sometimes if I add mayonnaise to them, but not if I eat them just plain. Or you may be sensitive to chicken eggs! (Can you tolerate a flu shot? They are processed through chicken eggs)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:24
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
I try to follow as much as I can the ER4YT guidelines, and I truly think he's absolutely correct as far as O's and B's are concerned, but I think he needs to research A's much much better. I became diabetic eating like an A *should*.

I couldn't agree more. Are you type O or B?

I know this is a bit off topic, but my criticism is that everything is lectin-based so sugar doesn't really play a role in diet for him. If he could put together something a little less myopic, recognizing the dangers of high blood sugar, it would be better received by me.

As a type A, I found his information about exercise very interesting. I've never had a lot of stamina for full-throttle exercise. I can do it short term, but within a few months, my body is just too exhausted to continue at that pace.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%

I have quite a few intolerances also.Wheat being the first and formost. I went to a Naturalpath, and took a bio feedback test that told me what I have problems with. It was very very interesting.

I do my best to stay away from all that I have a problems with, and feel so much healthier.

I also found that if I slip up and have for instance, pork (one of my intolerances) I am okay as long as I don't eat the leftovers the next day. Then I suffer.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:44

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Thank you, thank you, thank you....

to anyone and everyone that mentioned having a problem with SOY.

I am so, so, so SICK of seeing and hearing about eating soy protein.

Soy this...soy that.

It's like no one ever heard of people not being able to tolerate soy. Not only can I not tolerate it, I have two daughters who can not have it either. And do you realize how many products it is in? One of the many good things about low carb is that you stop eating so many processed foods that contain soy oil etc.