Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 16:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default The 2 Big C's

COFFEE AND CONSTIPATION!!

I need a little help getting things moving (if you know what i mean) and i have heard a lot of people say that coffee helps. I am a decaf girl and i am wondering...

is it the coffee that does it or is it the caffeine that does it?? should i be switching from decaf to regular to provide the necessary results??

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Decaf works just fine for me!

Or you might want to try psyllium husks to keep you regular. That's what I've been doing and though it does taste a bit like I'd imagine a nice drink of ground cardboard would taste, you do get used to it. And it's all fiber, so there's no carbs to count, unlike with the coffee...1 carb per cup of that stuff, not to mention whatever you like to put in it. It can add up...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 18:57
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

One of the side effects of this WOE is constipation. However, I have had that problem my entire life. I tried everything including psyllium husks to no avail.

It wasn't until I read Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solutions that he talked about magnesium oxide supplementation for constipation, as well as beneficial bacteria, psyllium husks, pantethine, vitamin C and bentonite powder. I don't take the bentonite powder, but I had already been using the other supplements.

I have found that I have to take higher dosages (around 700 mg/day), but you could start out around 250 mg/day and see how that works. Dr. Atkins suggests 250-1,000 mg. The difference was remarkable for me.

One word of caution. Do not go by the "more is better" motto. Also don't take magnesium if you have kidney dysfunction. A magnesium overdose can be dangerous.

Hope this helps,
WAnda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 20:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Even without supplementation, the constipation should sort itself out in a few weeks once your body adjusts to the new way of eating, but for my DH, ground flax seed mixed with unprocessed wheat bran (also known as miller's bran) was a lifesaver. We just mix it half and half (1/4 cup of each), add 1/2 cup hot water and whatever flavorings you like along with a little Splenda and butter (cream too if you like it that way) and voila! You have a hot breakfast cereal with around 12 grams of fiber. It's also got lots of healthy Omega 3 fatty acids too...another bonus.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 22:13
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

A hefty dose of vitamin C also works. You might try 4-5 grams -- but be sure you have immediate access to the loo. It works, but the timing can be pretty unpredictable . . .
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 17:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

i am still curious - is it the caffeine or the coffee that provides the laxative effect that so many people talk about?

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have found that extra liquid helps, but a stool softener is also often required. I avoid laxatives most of the time. A stool softener simply adds liquid to the bulk.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 19:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lisa...

It could be the caffeine, but it could also be the stimulation from the hot beverage itself. Many older ladies when I was growing up, my grandmother included, swore by a cup of hot water first thing in the morning to produce their daily "physic" as they referred to it.
If you do find yourself constipated and extra water and fiber don't do the trick, be very cautious with using laxatives. Only use them when absolutely necessary and nothing else has worked. If used too often, your body can become dependent on them and you will find yourself needing them more and more frequently. I've seen many patients in nursing homes completely dependent on laxatives to produce a bowel movement after years of abusing them; they simply couldn't go without them.
Sometimes just adding more fat to your diet will help things start moving along more smoothly (pun intended).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 00:53

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Also try some of the sugar free candies that are made with maltitol....a *real* tasty way to get relief!!
I drink decaf and it gets things moving too....