Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/154/140
BF:33
Progress: 30%
Default Bread anyone?

I am just finishing my 14 day induction part of this diet and confess that I am thrilled...I have lost 9 lbs and can wear slacks I couldn't wear two weeks ago. I only want to lose 20 lbs total, so needless to say I am keeping this up. It is time to increase my carbs now and I will be going to 25 per day this week.
I really want some bread...I confess that breads are my weakness, but I also realize that it is high carb. I have not had any luck finding a low carb bread. Do any of you know of any brands that are low carb? Or a recipe where I could even make it myself?
Thanks!
Diana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:55

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

As much as I hate to say this... I would wait to add the low carb bread into your food mix - until you are at maintenance... and even then in real moderation. You can usually find low carb bread and the Atkin muffin mixes at most health food stores.

It's better to add another serving of the allowable veggies first for your first five gram increment increase... then maybe some nuts (one serving is approximately 5 grams) and then maybe some low glycemic fruit (berries).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Talking Low carb bread

www.toddsorganicbread.com sells low carb bread, breakfast bread, bagels but they are EXPENSIVE. I've not tried them yet, however, I plan to. I've got to have the money to treat myself. Maybe you have more disposable income than me and can be the guinea pig!

Regards, Karla
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 18:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

I did Atkins as a 'diet' back a few years ago and I went down to 123 lbs and a size 4 within 2 and 1/2 months. After induction, I immediately added back bread...slowly...starting with just 1/2 a slice of a seemingly non-threatening whole wheat bread. (I think 12 carbs per slice, which I counted toward my daily carb allotment.) I wanted bread more than I wanted a piece of fruit or any other healthy carb. I just simply craved it.

Within a month, I was eating a ham, cheese and butter sandwich every day for lunch. Then I escalated up to two sandwiches per day, and then toast with my buttery eggs and then bagels, then crackers, then an entire baguette...you get the picture. Six months later, I gained back all of the weight, plus another 25 lbs.

This time around, I have been LCing for a year, but not as a 'diet'. I have not touched a bite of bread in over one year. I know for me, that even one slice of bread spells disaster. I can and do eat teeny tiny amounts of sugary foods; I eat potatoes regularly and I have sneaked in bites of white rice here and there this past year. Bread? I would rather eat a grenade. It would do less damage.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

My son and I make a low-carb bread similar to zucchini bread using flaxseed meal for the flour in the recipe. We've used some flavor variations and enjoy several, such as almond-flaxseed (instead of poppyseed) and orange-walnut. We're working on a version that I'm hoping will eventually taste like a chocolate muffin. You can do pretty much the same thing if you have any nut-bread recipe. Use Splenda for sugar, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:04

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Freydis

Would you mind posting your recipe for LC zucchini bread--or point me to one? I've been experimenting with LC recipes and would like to try yours, too.

Thanks so much!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Standard low-carb version:

1/2 cup Splenda (we tried halving w/sugar twin-didn't work)
1.25 cups butter (very fatty, yes. You can halve, if you want.)
6 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flaxseed meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bundt pan or loaf pan/s. Beat moist ingredients, including softened butter, for 5 minutes. Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed until well blended. Pour into pan/s, up to 4/5 full.

Bake for about 30 minutes. Use toothpick in center to test. Cool for at least 20 minutes before trying to remove from pan/s.

Carbs run around 40 for the batch. I haven't figured it up fully since some minor changes were made. You can run it through a carb-counter if you're concerned.

For the walnut-orange variation, just add some walnuts and some orange oil. For the almond variation, add almond oil. (We didn't like that one as much as other variations.) We're still working on the chocolate version, which is also much higher in carbs due to the cocoa and extra Splenda required.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:31

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks!

Planning to try this after I go grocery shopping!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:39

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 200/175/150
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default bread

I am terrified of adding low carb bread back to my eating plan!!!I have completed the first two weeks with a loss and now have 40 lbs. to go!!!! I don't quite understand the net carbs - bought some advantage bars thinking 2 grams and read the back and discovered 22. Am fairly comfortable with food plan but don't know how long I can do the induction phase!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:26

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%

I recommend the Ketogenics bread mix - honey wheat flavor. I find one slice is plenty and I have it for breakfast many days. If you decide to make this be sure to slice it up immediately and make sure you make the right number of slices or you will have serious carb creep. One slice per recommended slices is only 2 effective carbs.
One reminder YMMV. It doesn't cause any cravings for me and I can eat it without problem. The thought of 2 slices seems very excessive to me. Many people find that any breads trigger cravings and overeating and cannot tolerate them.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:51
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Diana:

I just made low carb bread for the first time over the weekend and was thrilled with the result.

Check out the following link for low carb breads and pastas. I made Gabi's World Famous Bread. This bread is very low in carbs (3.4/slice) and tastes like a regular whole grain bread. I sliced mine very thin, so I think each slice works out to be 3 grams (2 ECC grams). http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread.html

This WoE is just that. Learning to live with long-term alternatives that you can live with. If you are really craving bread, I think it is much better to eat LC bread than going for the real thing in a moment of weakness. But remember, moderation.

Having said that, be aware of how you are reacting to it. Is it stalling weight loss? Is it creating other unavoidable addictions/cravings? Only you will know the answer to that. This is all an experiment. What may be good for one person could be a disaster for someone else. I can eat a little low carb bread OK, but if I eat high carb grains, I end up bingeing on sugar.

So have fun, experiment.

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 15:52

Stats: 207.5/198.5/155
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking

Atkins makes a wonderful sourdough bread mix. I buy it at my local grocery store. It's $5 a box, which makes one loaf. It's a hearty bread. I can eat one slice and be satisfied. It stays really moist also. Each slice has 3 net carbs, and makes wonderful toast.

I've tried blueberry muffin and banana nut muffin mix by Atkins. The banana was much better than the blueberry.

I've made the Atkins recipe zuchinni bread muffins, they are good but have 5 carbs, whereas the banana muffins only have 2.

Last edited by Badger1959 : Mon, Jan-27-03 at 15:54.