Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 00:57
quietstorm

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Withdrawls

I have come to the realization that I have a caffeine addiction. I have had 2 Cokes in 3 days when I would normally have 4 + a day.
I have been in a crappy mood- not sure what to do about the withdrawl symptoms.
I am glad I never got into drinking coffee- otherwise I would be banging my head on the walls.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 02:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/134/110
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi QS,

The first few days are the worst...but it will all pass! Just don't forget to drink lots of water, take your vitamins and get plenty of rest.

Hope you will get better soon!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is probably some carb withdrawal mixed in there too.

There really isn't anything you can do except go through it but don't worry. The way you feel will take a turn for the better.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:37

Stats: 155/150/135
BF:
Progress: 25%

I started Atkins Induction on Mon. 1/20. I drink two mugs of "high test" coffee every morning. Why do I have to stop? Why is caffene a no-no? Won't the diet work? I feel fine and don't want to give it up.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:52

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

lapnjusa - it is one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) things. Black coffee DOES have carbs... so you at a minimum need to count them in your daily carb count. Consequently, if you are someone who drinks ALOT of coffee... you will consume all your daily carb alotment with just the coffee... and not get the value of nutrition from your veggies. In addition, for some people their bodies have an insulin reaction to caffeine... so even a little bit of regular coffee tends to stall them out. This is not true for everyone - but it is something to be aware of.

I personally have one VERY large mug of coffee in the morning. I love my coffee too much to cut it out entirely. I did cut WAY down on my coffee though - as I used to drink up to ten cups in a day! Now I have about a 16 ounce mug in the morning and that is it. Every once in a while I will have a starbucks Cafe Breve in the afternoon while out shopping etc... but that happens about once every other MONTH. I have not seen any effect on my weightloss from keeping the coffee at this level.

Everyone's body is different though... so you will have to figure out what works for you. Just be aware of the information - so you choose wisely.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Lo-carbs
Stats: 199/165/140 Female 62.5
BF:39%/25%
Progress: 58%

It will pass..i used to drinks lots of sodas and did drink espresso drinks .. along time ago .. like about 5-6 years ago. You get over it quickly and then when you do have a caffeinated soda again or coffee again .. well for me .. it gets me soo jittery and SOO SICK and terrible and I get a headache ...oh and awful stomach crams drinking coffee. Its awful. So I stay away! Well I just started drink the caffine free stuff .. for awhile there .. every now and then..before I started LowCarbing.

You'll be ok pretty soon.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 12:05

Stats: 155/150/135
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ok, I get it. Thanks for your replys. I'm going to stick with my two mugs through Induction and see how I do. I'll keep you informed,