Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:43
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question An odd, embarrassing question!

Ok, I admit it. I have very little self-control. I find that I can't even keep low carb desserts around the house cause I eat them too quickly. I'd like to keep a supply of LC treats in the freezer so if the sugar cravings ever overpower me, I don't go out and buy inappropriate food. All these wonderful desserts Karen has been posting has me seriously salivating.

Here's the embarrassing part. Try not to laugh TOO loud! Is there such a thing as a food locker that can go into a freezer? In an ideal world, it would have a programmable timer so that you could program it to open when you want (and then reset once the door is closed). Otherwise, I'd have to use a lock and give my husband the key. I've looked around for something that would make do, but haven't had any luck yet.

Wanda, the glutton
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:48

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default $$$?

Hey!
If the answer is "no", then you may have hit on a really good $$$ idea!
:-)

-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:52

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

If you really feel that a lock is the only way to keep you from the desserts, the least expensive (and bothersome) solution is probably to just get yourself a simple metal lockbox (available at most discount department stores like Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc) and ask your husband to hide the key somewhere.

I don' t know if there are any pre-existing solutions out there for a programmable lockbox for the freezer (and if there are, they would probably cost quite the pretty penny), but there are programmable safes around--a little pricey, and I don't know if the cold of a freezer would effect their performance. If you know anyone who is moderately adept with programming and has a basic knowledge of electronic hardware you might be able to sweet-talk them into doing some custom work for you.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

haha
:laugh:

I only know of those little fridges (like office fridges) which do have a lock, but it is for the fridge.... not just the area you (do not want to) want to have access to...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 00:19
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Sounds like the next infomercial!! If it doesn't exist...go ahead and invent it.

At least it will sell like crazy at Christmas for all us "dieters"...even as a gag gift!!

#6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:09
Mad Scientist

BF:
Default Re: $$$?

Quote:
Originally posted by lpioch
If the answer is "no", then you may have hit on a really good $$$ idea!

Hi Loretta & DDMariana:

You think? I wonder how common this problem is? Hmmm, maybe I should do a poll.

Dex:

I will get a metal locker if push comes to shove. Only problem is that my husband will cave in and give me the darn key when I shouldn't have it. And if I invent one, then I'd know how to program it, so it would kind of defeat its purpose during moments of weakness. If I can buy one, I'd get my husband to program it for me and then hide the manual from me. Oh boy, this is getting complicated. Wait, mabe not so. If it can only be programmed when open, then that would solve the moments of weakness. However, if it has screws in it, Lord knows the damage that could happen....

I thought about a safe, but ya, they are very expensive.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Jan-26-03 at 09:11.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

lol, I guess I know how you feel... Yesterday I bought a 1L tub of No Sugar Added Cookies n Cream.
I ate it all in one sitting... it was my first time having ice cream in months! After I ate it all, I realized the whole tub had 150g of fat it in it! So I guess that sort of made my ratios for the day go fubar!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 15:34

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

It wouldn't work though because instead of obsessing over food, you'd be obsessed with finding a way to crack the lock and get it open..lol
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:09
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey SlimShady:

Ya, maybe that freezer-proof safe isn't looking like such a bad idea after all.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 08:12

Plan: Low Carb & IF
Stats: 180/129/110 Female 5'2
BF:?
Progress: 73%

Oh I can SO relate to you!!! NO treat lasts any time with me. I have no willpower whatsoever.

For this reason, I've found that the safest method is to just not keep anything in the house. Yes it's horribly frustrating when the cravings hit, and mine last for up to six hours at a time, but think of it this way: when worst comes to worst, you CAN go out and get a LOW-CARB treat as well as a HIGH-CARB one. And no matter how strong your cravings are, if you know that you're going to get a treat, I believe that you'll be able to make the right choice (so it doesn't come down between having one or not, but just deciding WHICH one). For me, this works mostly. Sure works better than keeping low-carb treats around the house, because all the low-carb in the world won't help if it's eaten in excess.

And I know what I'm talking about with excess... the other day I ate SIX bowls of protein shake with soy milk and nuts. Six. *sigh*

vienna
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:24
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Vienna:

Lots of people seem to be relating to this issue. Right now, my goal is to deal with these behavioural issues around eating. As it stands, throughout my entire adult life, I have never been able to keep any kind of snacks in the house and I've always stuck to that rule. Avoidance has always worked well, but it's never resolved my issues when I'm around forbidden food. Because I never learned these skills, I'd then be out of control.

In the past I have gone to the store when the odd craving hits (particularly around TOM), but I don't really like to snack on processed foods because all artificial sweeteners cause sugar cravings for me. I'd like to make things sweetened with stevia and freeze them for those special occasions when I'd like to treat myself. For instance, my husband's birthday is coming up and I want to make a LC cheesecake. But what to do with the leftovers? I don't want to keep them in the house "unsupervised".

I considered the metal box, but they rust so I'd have to find a plastic box with a lock. I haven't had any luck so far.

I know this all sounds really silly, but having a locker is the only way I will allow any treats in the house. Maybe I need more work on the behavioral stuff, huh?

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 16:05

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I don't know how to lock the food up, but you could make it more difficult on yourself. If I buy something that I should only eat in moderation (like nuts) I only buy small amounts at a time. I know that it's cheaper to buy in bulk, but if I have to get dressed and go to the store to satisfy an impulse I probably won't do it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

What about a plastic computer disc box - they're often lockable, although they aren't huge....
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

I talked to the lady who gets my supplies and she says that the plastic will crack in freezers. The problem with metal is that it rusts. Maybe that's why "freezer lockers" don't exist. The CD cases are definately too small for my purpose.

Anyway, the best I've been able to find is this plastic lockbox but it's from the U.K. My source said she'd look into it, but she wasn't sure that it would withstand freezer temperatures. Click here for picture

My other option I found is a metal portable file holder with a lock (about 13 X 18 X 10 3/4). Only problem is that it's kind of expensive ($117 CDN) and if it's going to rust, it would seem like a waste of money.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 21:18

Stats: 165/165/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

I buy nuts then can't stop myself. I then try to get my husband to
finish them off and get them removed from my range.
My control while shopping is key for me. the borderline items just don't need to be heavily stocked up a t my house.