Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default alpha lipoic acid...

is it safe to take alpha lipoic acid to facilitate ketosis?

any side effects so far?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:11

Plan: t-dawg
Stats: 220/200/200
BF:17/11/8
Progress: 100%

Sure take it if you want. No side effects should occur. All ALA does is clear excess glucose and dumps it in urine. Or if you can handle it, eat some bitter melon it's cheaper and can lower blood sugar effectively. Or if you don't want to eat that, they have it in pill form, but I'm not sure how much it costs.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:24
Registered Member

BF:

i'm having trouble going for zero carb a day, but i'm on low carb now since few weeks ago, felt better but i only lost 5 pounds and i'm stuck there, i'm wondering if ALA will facilitate continuous ketosis?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by jtan
i'm wondering if ALA will facilitate continuous ketosis?
ALA helps to dispose of glucose and it's used most often during carb-ups, not during keto phases of dieting. For the purpose you're intending you'd need large doses - in the 600mg dose range - and that's a very expensive proposition.

Lyle McDonald on ALA :
Quote:
Additionally, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is an anti-oxidant and glucose disposal agent (29) which has shown great use during carb-ups for many individuals on the CKD. In comparison to chromium, magnesium and vanadyl sulfate, ALA appears to work significantly better. A dosage of 200-600 mg per day is a good place to start as far as dosage but be forewarned that it can get expensive quickly.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 03:13
Registered Member

BF:

what do you mean by carbs-up??
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 20:24

She is referring to a diet called CKD. Basically eat low carb all week then carb up. Carb ups are usually short phases ranging from one meal to two days, where you increase calories from carbohydrate sources while decreasing fat calories at the same time. Or you could throw that "rule" out the window and do what most people do, eat what you want for one meal, but when you're satisfied resume low carb. As for taking ALA to induce ketosis, it will work, and personally I think it will be in the order of 200-300 mg spread over three of your first meals. As for using it during carb-ups, that really depends on how much you pig out, and how long you have been doing low carb. The longer you've been on, the less effective your cells are to insulin and you will have to rely on greater dosages to get the same effect as when you first started CKD.

Hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:42
Registered Member

BF:

so you mean the longer we are in low carb the worse is our insulin sensitivity???
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 23:18

Well in a way, yes. The body becomes more efficient, if that's the proper word, at using ketones and also spends more time manufacturing fat catalyzing enzymes. So it "forgets" temporarily how to process carbs. Protein breakdown becomes an easier process of getting glucose, so less insulin is used. Over time cells become accustomed. Any process you try over time, the body will adapt to. That's the beauty of evolution.

To combat this effect take more omega 3's, eat lots of salmon, if you want supplement with some ALA, d-pinitol and inozitol, or hypoglycemic inducing herbs like bitter melon or fenugreek (all of these excluding ALA can make you hungry so don't take too much in one sitting).

Hope this helps.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 06:20
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
i'm having trouble going for zero carb a day, but i'm on low carb now since few weeks ago, felt better but i only lost 5 pounds and i'm stuck there, i'm wondering if ALA will facilitate continuous ketosis?

Hi Jtan:

I'm a bit confused. Why would you be "going" for zero carbs/day?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 08:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
so you mean the longer we are in low carb the worse is our insulin sensitivity???
No! The greater your insulin sensitivity. When it takes more insulin to do the job you are said to be insensitive. When you LC you repair your insulin sensitivity - it takes less and your metabolism functions better.

Wanda, check out Protein Power if you're really interested in the hows and whys of LC - it's a great book

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 09:53
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Nat:

I've read almost every low carb books out there (except for a couple more obscure ones), but I've never seen anything advocating a "no" carb diet. I just didn't know why the poster was initially aiming for "no" carbs.

The Eades (or was it Neanderthin? or maybe both) discuss the Eskimo diet, which is virtually no carbs, but there are special considerations to this type of diet. I'd have to look up the quotes, but I thought that this type of diet involved eating meats less cooked as well as eating the entire animal to get the full range of nutrients. Neither authors advocate "no carbs" in their plan. In fact, the Eades believe that Atkins Induction levels are even too low.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Jan-25-03 at 10:03.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 15:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
Hi Jtan:

I'm a bit confused. Why would you be "going" for zero carbs/day?

because i've been into low carb long time ago, it took me few days to go into induction. but after i went back to ordinary diet, now i'm going back to low carb, it takes me so long to induce ketosis...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 01:12

I wouldn't fret over ketosis. Guage how you look in the mirror, because you can lose weight without it. Calories, catabolic forces (glucagon system, cortisol), and the thyroid gland are what make diets effective.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 06:38
Registered Member

BF:

oh so what do you recommend