Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%
Default Middle School Class Rooms Convinced to Low Carb

A teacher friend of mine has been teaching low carb nutrition to his Life Science classes. He had them track their food on Fitday.com for three weeks. At the end of the three weeks, they each looked at all of their Fitday pie charts and percentages of nutrients and found that from day to day, each individual's pie chart/percentages were very stable. Next, each student drew his/her typical daily pie chart on one of three blackboards/two whiteboards. Each student stood under the drawing of his/her pie chart while another class came in to judge. The students bodies matched the pie charts: the greater the carbohydrate content of the daily diet, the more apparent the body fat on the student.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 10:30

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ack! Isn't that every preteen girl's nightmare? Stand in front of the class and have your body judged. Ack! Ack!

I hope some good comes of it
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 15:58
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Yes, I agree....a wonderful lesson, but a delicate stage of life to be teaching it. My son would be MORTIFIED!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 16:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

*Wince*

Good lesson, but I know that some of those students had to be very uncomfortable. I know that I would have been horrified if something like that had happened to me at that age.
Kids at that age can very cruel and are intensely self-conscious. I hope that the teacher at least made a rule that any comments/obervations had to be kept matter-of-fact and non-personal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 17:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Children and Low carbing

The biggest inspiration for my low carbing is a ten year old boy who has been on a medically supervised LCWOL since last spring. The child has lost more than 50 pounds and is currently on maintenance. He got so thin, I didn't even recognize him.

I figured if a 10 year old could do it, what's holding me back. I started my plan on October 29 - (lost over 40 pounds so far!)

The plan the child follows is through a local university medical school. I don't remember the doctor's name. I think it's part of a research study, though.

In December, a local TV station did a story on the doctor's program and interviewed the boy at his school. I was also interviewed when the reporter found out the child was my inspiration. I didn't get to see the report because I was at work but lots of people said they saw me. I have been very open about my program throughout the diet and I believe this is helping me stay on it.

But imagine being 10 years old and having the whole world, especially your school, know about your LCWOL.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:23

I didn't even think about the emotional side of that story when he told it to me but after seeing the responses here, I went back to ask him about it. According to the teacher:

The kids are all extremely interested in learning the truth about nutrition. This includes the kids who are typically slackers in most if not all other subjects. Some are taking the information home. They greet each other in the hallway with "High Five Low Carb" yells. There was only one thin person in the entire class; his diet was high protein, high fat, low carb. The others are encouraging each other with the new way of life and many are in the process of losing weight. They all seem to be grateful that they can now get to a healthy thin weight and they all seem to be supportive of each other. This is at an inner city Charter school where all the kids come from very poor families. A significant portion of them (at least 25%) are abused; child protective services keeps sending them back. The majority of the rest of them have only a mother who works two jobs; the lucky ones have grandparents at home. Many can't decide which man they like best as the father. Apparently, school is the best place for many of them to be; the best family they have. Maybe the "typical kids who treat each other horribly" are mostly middle and upper class kids that have every video game ever made, that can afford to buy illegal drugs with their allowances, that can drive to the drug dealer homes in the cars given to them, etc.

I was also thinking that when I was a kid, it was a stigma to be overweight. In my kid's classes, the majority of kids are overweight so nobody makes a big deal about it. The ones that get made fun of are the ones with the odd personalities.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 12:02

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Quote:
This is at an inner city Charter school where all the kids come from very poor families.

This is having me wonder if the families will be able to afford a low carb WOL. Most poor families survive on the cheapest food they can get (sack of potatoes, pasta, meatless dinners, etc) - it might be difficult for the parents to transition into healthier eating. This might be just as bad to the child as if he/she was overweight and getting picked on.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: Lo-carbs
Stats: 199/165/140 Female 62.5
BF:39%/25%
Progress: 58%

WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I would have been so humilated.. cause I would have been the chunk under the CARB chart. IT is good that he talks about low-carbing but its a bit much!

Last edited by MysticAnkh : Fri, Jan-24-03 at 12:58.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 13:25

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Sounds like a teacher who failed (or failed to take) adolescent psych. This comes across as a classic 'catalyst to an eating disorder' story. With adolescents today more conscious about body image issues than ever, the whole lesson just strikes me as insensitive.

Sorry, I don't want to start a flame war, but I just find the teacher's lesson plan completely distasteful. There are other ways to teach lessons about the potential values of a low-carb lifestyle that wouldn't necessarily have to include having your body "judged" by your peers. Feh.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyprinodon
I was also thinking that when I was a kid, it was a stigma to be overweight. In my kid's classes, the majority of kids are overweight so nobody makes a big deal about it. The ones that get made fun of are the ones with the odd personalities.

This was true when I was a kid, too. Of course, I was always the chunky one getting teased for my weight while the majority of my classmates were very thin.
But...in my kids' school, I still don't see the majority of children as overweight. I'd estimate that in my girls' second grade classes, perhaps 10% at most are what I would consider chubby. Now, I've noticed that this tends to change a bit as the kids get older, but even in the 7th and 8th grade classes the majority of kids still appear to be at healthy weights with perhaps as many as 20% being overweight. Even at lower grades, kids are aware of the importance of body weight. My youngest daughter has been teased by her classmates before because her MOM is fat even though she's a skinny little thing, so you'd better believe that it's still a big deal to be considered fat by kids today and there aren't many kids who are bold enough to tease their classmates about their weight in front of authority figures, so teachers remain blissfully unaware of any taunting that is going on.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:13
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:

Perhaps that is true in Texas, but it's certainly not true in Maryland where I live. My kids are teenagers and I know that they and their friends are very concerned about weight issues. My daughter has one friend who is slightly chubby (certainly not obese), who cries to her mother about it. Since I had the same experience as an adolescent, her mother and I have had discussions about what to do about this, but it's very hard to combat popular culture. The styles for teenage girls are almost impossible to wear these days if you are even slightly over-weight -- skin-tight jeans and short shirts that leave the midrift showing.

We had to get weighed in front of the class when I was a kid. I was the tallest kid in the class and also the heaviest. It was a mortifying experience for me that still gives me anxiety attacks when I think about it.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Jan-26-03 at 09:14.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:49

Default Agree With Everything

Texas is one of the states with greater than 60% obesity and skyrocketing Type 2 Diabetes. I noticed on a visit to the New England states that I saw thin people everywhere. It was odd for me to see that, very noticeable. The only thin groups I see around here are Asians and people from the Middle East.

The trend in elementary schools, promoted by the teachers, is food rewards for everything. This is especially annoying to me since my kid is a Type 1 diabetic. A school "party" for every possible holiday means chips, dips, sodas, and cookies or cup cakes. Every possible holiday party means the first day of class, Halloween, the day before Thanksgiving break, President's Day, Martin Luther King, Easter, Kwanza (sorry don't know the spelling), the first day before Spring Break, Cinco De Mayo, the first day of Spring, the first day of Winter, the last day of class, and I don't remember what else. When the classes do well at something, they win pizza and ice cream parties. When individuals do well, they win candy from the teachers surprise box. This is an almost daily event. My kid brings his "rewards" home since he isn't allowed to eat them. I put them in the trash. They always do make sure they have a diet soda for him when the parties happen. My kid is in the 5th grade and I discovered this school problem the day he started junior kindergarten.

I also learned this weekend something I was completely unaware of. I have always lived in a population with a large variety of races, religions, and nationalities. A friend heard a statistic on the radio so asked me this question: What do you think the African American Population and the Hispanic Population of the US is? I gave complete answer that was truly my best guess based on where I have always lived: 26% African American, 34% Hispanic, 30% Caucasion, and 10% everything else. I was shocked when this person told me that greater than 80% of Americans are Caucasion according to the report he heard. He couldn't believe it either. I had to think back to the time I drove through downtown Hot Springs Arkansas and was amazed to see nothing but white people standing everywhere. There are cultural differences in eating so perhaps part of the reason for the high rate of obesity and Type 2 diabetes in Texas is due to the particular culture that exists here.

In addition to it not occurring to me that the students might have felt bad, it also didn't occur to me that this teacher could have started some girl on the path to an eating disorder.

I apologize to the world for these things not occuring to me. A few of you sound a little hostile toward me for posting it so I guess you are tired of what appears to you to be the insensitive people in this world. Trust me that I do not make it a habit to be insensitive and neither does the teacher in question. We just both screwed up this time. He has turned kids off of drugs, off of inappropriate sex, and on to education. Many who would have ended up on the streets or as mothers by the age of 13 now talk of going to college. (Texas is also a hot spot for early teen motherhood; guess you guys don't see much of that either.)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 10:33

Default Hot Spots

I looked up the hottest spots for obesity in the USA according to the CDC. The latest info posted stopped the data gathering in 2000 so for what it's worth, the eight hottest spots are in the south and none are west of Texas. The states are West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. From what I know of economic distribution and culture in many of the southern states, it appears that poor quality high calorie eating has much to do with the availability of food money and with the lovely and interesting, although not necessarily healthy, cultures of these locations. I was surprised to see West Virginia on the list and I was equally surprised to find that Florida was not in the top eight. Obviously I don't know much about these states.

From recent memory, I know that Houston Texas won the prize from some organization for being the fattest city in America. I looked it up for dates and found the following undated post about Houston: "Well, none of us are happy about it, but for the second year running, our city has been dubbed the fattest in the land."

Last edited by Cyprinodon : Mon, Jan-27-03 at 10:43.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 14:39

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Cyprinodon,
I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't being hostile toward you, it was the lesson that made my skin crawl. My husband works with teenagers who have all manner of issues and it can be sometimes be quite surprising to hear what sorts of things act as "triggers" that start them down the road of self-destruction--things that many of us would never identify as problems at all.

Kudos to the teacher if he has helped some kids overcome circumtance, peer pressure, etc. But, I still feel that he needs to seriously re-evaluate his approach to teaching nutrition and healthy eating.

As to the "fattest" states being those in the South, I can't say that I'm surprised. Southern culture is deeply rooted in it's food--growing food, preparing food, and celebrating not only with food, but often celebrating the food itself. Add to that the lower socio-economic standing of many areas of the south, and you pretty much have a recipe for fatness. (I say all of this having spent the better part of my life as a resident of Tennessee and knowing that even if I'm not a southerner by birth or geography, I'll always be on by heart.)

OK, enough of me. I haven't been able to get to the boards for days and I have much catching up to do.

Last edited by dex : Mon, Jan-27-03 at 14:40.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:10
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Re: Agree With Everything

Quote:
A few of you sound a little hostile toward me for posting it so I guess you are tired of what appears to you to be the insensitive people in this world.

Reading back over my post, I am probably one of the people who sounded hostile. I apologize. Your post just brought back some memories of childhood that I try to supress.