Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 23:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/293/170
BF:
Progress: 9%
Angry First Negative Comments

Hi-
My name is Jacque and I have been LCing since July 2, 02. Unfortunately I "fell off the wagon" over the holidays, I don't know why I let myself do it! I'm ok now though and to my surprise have maintained my weight through out the last 2 months. Seven days ago today I started induction again, it was so hard, much harder than before. I lost nine pounds though. Anyways, last night we were at my MIL house and my SIL and her son were over, normally I love my in-laws to death but my SIL made a few comments that just really got to me. We were getting ready for dinner ( we had not expected to stay) and I only got some of the meat. I told my MIL that I was not being rude but that I had started my diet again. She said " oh I am sorry I didn't know" I said " thats ok, we didn't really expect to stay for dinner, so don't worry about it." Thats when my SIL opened her mouth, she said "I have been reading some really bad things about that diet on the Internet." and I said "oh really" after all everyone is entitled to there opinions. So she said " something about the foods not providing enough cancer fighting agents, so MAKE SURE YOU DON'T STAY ON IT FOR TO LONG." I said "well... it's really not a diet it kind of a new way of life." She just kind of nodded and that was it. She went off into the kitchen and all I heard was exercise. I was annoyed but didn't let it really get to me, but the more I think about it the more I am bothered by it. We just sold her our brand new tred mill because it wasn't our thing and I am going to try a different stragety instead, so I don't know if has anything to do with that fact that I am seeing results and she isn't or not. I am just one of those people who can't lose with just exercise. It's easy to say all you need to do is watch what you eat and exercise, but I have tried and this is the only thing that works for me. My MIL has always been really supportive of it ( as far as I know) and she finally pointed out how good I was looking and how much weight I have lost to my SIL. I would really like to think that its not jealousy but theres something about the way she looks at me. Anyway this is turned out to be a very long vent, very sorry about that. I would just like to say I love this WOL and the results that I see every week. During my break I felt ugly and huge and now with just a week back on I feel almost attractive agian, it does help that I bought new clothes that are a size smaller though.

Thank you so much for listening to me, it really helps.

Jacque
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 06:27
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Venting is better than eating the wrong things.

There are all kind of experts in this world of ours. Most of them specialize in telling other people how to live their lives. Maybe you SIL is jealous, maybe plain uniformed, maybe just a busybody. Probably all three rolled into one. But a nutrition expert she isn't.

Just keep on doing what your doing. Drink your water, take your supplements and avoid them carbs. You won't have to brag on your weight loss, it will speak for itself, and that includes every time you're with your SIL.

Revenge is a dish best eated cold, just don't have it on a bun.

Slowday
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:08

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Blow it off...

I second that advice. It's a strange and regretable thing about human nature...often the people around us, family members even, wish us well but don't really mean it. They drag around their own issues and try to rain on the parades of those they profess to love or have concern for.

Try not to let it get to you too much. When I started, there were certainly negative comments made. Not by my family, ever, but by coworkers. Today, I'm looking good and feeling great, have the test results from my doctor to confirm how healthy I am and those coworkers look like they put the "tub" in tubby.

Thank your stars that you have this forum and a supportive community here. You did the right thing by venting here. We support your decision to LCarb and applaude that you've gotten back on track!

You're a big loser! Be proud! The advantage is really yours.

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:41

Stats: 249/194/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Screw what this non-expert is saying.
It's working for you and that's all that matters.
If you are botherd about her proported facts - just read
what Atkins says his medical practice experience has been!

One thing I felt good about this diet is that Atkin's says that
cancer thrives on gylcerin in the blood. Not much there on a
low carb diet LOL.

What's that saying? - I may be fat but I can lose weight and she'll
still be stupid!

Glad to see you posting here and not stuffing your feelings!

Erika
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:24
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I regularly get negative comments about Atkins. I always assume the people are well intentioned and respond as politely as possible in the interest of educating them. Most people are simply ignorant and if you tell them what you are eating (lots of vegetables, healthy fats like olive oil, etc.) they actually appreciate the information. I think I've changed a fair number of people's minds about Atkins by assuming that they really do think they have my best interests at heart and therefore I should treat their concerns seriously and politely.

I deal with clients at lot in my work and when I think they are wrong about something they want me to do (which happens, unfortunately), I have learned to treat them with courtesy and respect, but at the same time explain my position without getting defensive and without putting down what they are saying. The same skills that are useful when disagreeing with clients work with Atkins critics, and I think they are much more effective than getting confrontational.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 21:24

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

Funny how defensive we feel when LCing is attacked. I don't mean to, but I take it personally. Best I can figure, this thing we call a WOL if just that. Our WOL. That is personal. And when someone insults something so close to me, my best friend, I get my hackles up. Being a LC'er is what I "am", not what I "do".

I have to always remind myself that they are not educated on this. They are merely reflections of others around them who don't have the interest to read the literature which supports this WOL. People who draw opinon, not on facts or their own reasoning, but on what others tell them are sad people. Pity her....she is one of the ignorant.

-Dyna

Last edited by kodi10 : Tue, Feb-04-03 at 21:27.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 21:45

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I get tired of people saying "oh the high protein diet" or "oh eating no carbs isn't healthy". I guess those are the two biggest myths. It is not a high protein diet - it is a high fat diet and we DO eat carbs. Oh well........personally I get tired of educating them. I will have the last laugh! Cindi
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:09

Plan: Modified Low carb
Stats: 305/270/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

*chuckle* I know the feeling.

Its ok to vent here.. I mean its what its designed for support and venting and knowledge

Here's my own experience with th "know it alls"

Open Letter to Know it alls

Welcome back

Topher
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I think, also, that family members often don't realize what they're doing to us. Giving them the benefit of doubt, it is possible that they mean well even when they're being really nasty. At least, it seems like a lot of my relatives are like that. They obviously feel comfortable enough with me to tell me what they really believe to be true. It's just that they're often cruel and sometimes wrong in their beliefs.

I agree that honesty is important and I am guilty of being OVERLY honest, myself. Perhaps that's what gives them license to be overly honest with me. The foibles of my youth are catching up to me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 19:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've heard all sorts of responses to my choice of diet... some are curious and some ask what I eat and such since it's become obvious that I'm losing and they need to drop a few as well...

what amuses me is how often you'll hear... I could never do that... they can't give up potatoes... bread... whatever... they'll often ask too what about when the diet is done... how do you keep from gaining it back... I say the diet is never done... if you gained the weight in the first place then what you were doing before wasn't working for you... why would you go back?

I haven't heard much negative commentary from those around me... more a seeking to understand and total amazement that I don't particularly care if I never eat another potato again....