Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 00:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default does low carb kill h. pylori?

h. pylori is one of the cause of peptic ulcer, i wonder if low carb diet do kill h. pylori, i read on the other forum on this site that h. pylori attach themselves to the stomach thru the use of sugar molecules...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 02:04
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there jtan,

Although I'm sure that eating low carb would make it more difficult for the bacteria to grow, as far as I know, Helicobacter pylori can only be killed by antibiotics.

If you think you have a stomach ulcer, you should see your doctor as soon as possible for treatment.

HTH

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

i don't know if i have stomach ulcer. i only have pain and symptom when i am eating rice, i'm from philippines by the way where rice is a staple food. but when i'm on low carbohydrate, there's no symptoms like pain and diarrhea...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 16:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I haven't run into anything that shows that low carb per se can kill h. pylori, but I have read that recent research showed that broccoli contains a substance that is very effective against h. pylori as well and many people do report relief from long-standing gastrointestinal problems after beginning low carb. Here's a link to the discussion on the effects of broccoli in h. pylori: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=h+pylori. Only a doctor can diagnose whether or not you have an ulcer, though.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:07
Registered Member

BF:

is the relief from low carbohydrate permanent? i mean... the relief will be forever as long as you forever do low carb? or is it only in initial stage?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 07:09

BF:

From what I've read and seen with my own husband, as long as they continue on low carb the problems are lessened or gone. As soon as they go back to high carb, the symptoms reappear.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 07:31
Registered Member

BF:

that's what happening to me... after a long time of low carb, the first day i went back to carb, i will have diarrhea the next day... then bloat..
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 02:11

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I believe you just answered your own question. Rice being a staple food from your country or not, you can't handle it. For *you* it isn't beneficial.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:51
Registered Member

BF:

yeah, i'm quitting taking rice. i get uncontrollable hunger after several hours after i finish eating rice, but my hunger is controllable when i don't eat rice... strange isn't it?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 19:43

BF:

It's not terribly strange if you think about the chemical and hormonal changes that go on inside your body when you eat the rice. White rice is very high on the glycemic scale. When you eat it, it causes an surge in your blood sugars with a resulting surge in your insulin production to bring the blood sugars back down. A few hours after you eat the rice, your blood sugars are lower than they were before you ate the rice which triggers your body's hunger response to bring the blood sugar back up again. It becomes a vicious circle as long as you continue to eat high amounts of carbs. When you stop eating lots of carbs, your blood sugars and insulin production can stabilize and the hunger that you once experienced because your blood sugars were bouncing all over the place disappears.
Good rule of thumb; if eating something causes you discomfort or unpleasant symptoms, that's your body's way of trying to tell you it doesn't like that food (even if you do!) and not to eat it and it's a good idea to listen to what your body is saying rather than what taste buds and tradition dictate.