Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Water Pills

Is it safe, or ok on Atkins to take water pills? My body just loves to hold on to the water. I get these deep rings around where my socks go on my ankles. And no it's not just that they are too tight. I know you were thinkin it!! They fit just perfect in the morning. What are some other suggestions? I know i am not the only one with this problem.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:21
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Pokey,

First of all, have you been on water pills before? Whether or not you have, I would very strongly suggest you discuss this with your doctor before starting to take diuretics (water pills). Did you see your doctor for some blood tests before you started low carbing? It really is important. If you haven't, now is not too late. It would be very helpful to know that your kidney function is normal.

How much sodium are you getting? Sometimes just eating a lot of food such as bacon, salami etc can cause a fair bit of fluid retention. I would try eating only fresh, natural food and see if it makes a difference. And switching from "normal" salt to potassium salt may also help.

Cheers, matey.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Water Pills

Quote:
Originally posted by Pokey
What are some other suggestions? I know i am not the only one with this problem.
Pokey, I used to have the same problem, Pre LC. I was pretty bloated, all over!

LCing is a natural diuretic, taking water pills is, IMHO, not a good idea. If you're following your WOE and you're drinking your water then it sounds like there might be some underlying problem.

I second Roz's suggestion to see your doctor and have yourself checked out, just to be safe.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:52

BF:

I had blood work done before i started but like about a year ago. I dont know if they tested my kidney function or not. I do know my cholesterol was pretty high.
I asked my doc what he recommended for me to lose weight and he said Atkins. That's when i started this WOE again. I have always retained a lot of water. But.... before i started this WOE i hardly ever drank water. Do you think i should just give it another month and see if on this WOE helps any. I do eat bacon like everyday. I dont like sausage very much and dont know what else that is quick to eat with eggs. All i know is i feel very bloated. It is my TOM but i have never felt bloated like this before.
Yes i have been on water pills before but it was a long time ago (teenager) trying to lose weight. However i was not on them long.
I really hate going to my doc. He is very unhelpful you know the kind of doc that is still talking to you as he is leaving the room. I need to switch doctors.

Thanks for your help!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have this problem, too. It is slowly getting better as I lose weight and begin exercising more. I also try to keep my feet up as much as possible when not exercising.

#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:15

BF:

I really dont understand the whole concept of the more water you consume the more your body will get rid of it. Quite perplexing to me. But i am going to try to get in more and more water each day. Right now i probably have no more than 90 oz a day. Probably not enough. It makes me so full and uncomfortable. ugggg!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 06:59

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally posted by Pokey
I really dont understand the whole concept of the more water you consume the more your body will get rid of it. Quite perplexing to me.

This is just kinda a simple version, but if you're not drinking enough water, your cells will hold on to it (thinking that they need every little bit they can get). If you're drinking enough water, your body has no need to hold on to it, b/c you're letting your cells hydrate themselves enough. If you consistently drink enough water, your body recognizes that it's hydrated and let's go of all the excess water your cells have been holding on to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:56

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

Pokey,
Spread your water consumpyion throughout the day, starting with soon as you get up. I drink on water all day and it isn't a sloshing feeling or uncomfy, it's a lifestyle. It will become one for you. Your body will start craving it and saying YES YES YES!!!
I tend to hold water too but not when I am eating right, avoiding alcohol and drnking proper amounts of H20.
So drink up!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:36

BF:
Default Thanks!!

Ok i will look at it like the whole starvation mode with not eating enough. I get it now duh!! Why didnt i think of it like that before?
Thanks for all your responses!!
Toodles,
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:48

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Pokey..i had the same thing..water pills aren't going to fix it for you unfortunately..it's part of being over weight..you are carrying around way to much weight..your body has been suffering for so long it holds onto everything! BUT..rest assured it will get better...when i was almost 270..i literally didn't have ankles they were so swollen...now i have boney lil ones!

With the water...Your body will only release the water its holding onto..once it knows for sure that a steady supply will keep coming...so drink lots of water allllll day long...you will start getting rid of the bloat..i promise