Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry Atkins products = conflict of interest???

I've been reading so much lately about people eating low carb Atkins products to find themselves in a stall. I'm finding this a bit frustrating because it seems like Atkins is providing products that may not be beneficial in the long run.

I think these products should at least be marketed for maintenance low carb eating. Furthermire, they should be labelled in big print Not to be eaten while on Induction . My other "beef" is that his products are still processed food. Don't we want to break the habit of eating processed, quick, nutrient-deficient food, and turn to a lifestyle that consists of natural, whole food?

When I heard him speaking on Larry King Live, I didn't hear him mention that he ate his own low-carb products. He said he ate omelettes, nuts, meats, some fruit and more vegetables than a "vegetarian".

I admire Dr. Atkins, maybe even idolize him a little. But I'm very frustrated with his commercial marketing decisions. I think it is a conflict of interest when many people are lulled into thinking that they can lose weight while eating them.

In this realm, Schwarzbein reigns.

Thanks for the vent,
Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:14
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This is on his site under FAQ and it doesn't even mention the sugar alcohol issue.

I love this WOL as well and thank Dr. Atkins in my heart at least once a week but calories I can up. Sugar Alcohols stall me and others and I know this is how he makes $$ but it should be mentioned!!

Slow Weight Loss and Plateaus
FAQ 1-10 of 10
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss?
This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes. Alternatively, you could exercise more to burn the extra calories or try eating only half a bar. Remember, each bar contains approximately 220 calories and these added calories could be affecting your overall weight loss. The controlled carb way of eating has an advantage over low-fat diets in that you can take in more calories and still lose more weight, but don’t regard that as a license to overeat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:48
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lisa, thanks for the FAQ info:

Quote:
Try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes

I don't think his FAQ is good enough. It sidesteps the issue that for many, his products stall weight loss. His quote above is interesting. So should one stop eating the bars until weight loss resumes, then start eating them again? Or else eat only half a bar or exercise more. These answers don't face the real issue.

He either needs to be more vocal about this issue when he discusses his products or put it down in writing on the packaging so that it is visible. To be honest, I don't buy the stuff so I'm not sure what the packaging says. But I know that people are eating the products while in Induction so there is some lack of communication. Unfortunately, not everyone reads his books or visits his website (which is very evident on this Forum), so he needs to make it clear on his products. Furthermore, it's the uninformed ones who follow the diet improperly, can't lose weight, then bad-mouth Atkins when they quit the WOE. I guess that's the price he wants to pay.

Sorry for the rant again,
Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:54

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Products

For what it's worth, Atkins products (at least mine) carry a coding system that shows whether or not something is appropriate for Induction or OWG, etc.

I don't know if it's on the bars or not as I don't eat them. But I know it's in all the product listings in the Atkins catalog and on the muffins I sometimes eat.

BTW, I don't disagree with your point at all. I also think that most people would be more successful and benefit more from avoiding most of these products, especially if they are like me--very carb sensitive.

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:57
The evolution of me

BF:

No Wanda I agree with you.

For me and my personal reaction to bars. I try to never eat them and don't really even like Atkins bars much (texture issue for me). I bought a big box from Sam's club months ago and keep them at my desk for when i'm going to cheat and i'm really hungry it is still the better choice... but that isn't saying that much.

I love the carbolite peanut butter cup frozen and when i'm in maintenance and I plan to enjoy them and maintain my weight. So to be honest I see it as more of a maintenance tool for myself.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:49
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lisa:

I didn't thing you were disagreeing with me, and even if you were, that would be okay. I love to debate.

You see it the same way I do. Okay for maintenance, but not really okay for weight loss. The carbolite peanut butter cup? That sounds like an "I'm in maintanence" graduation treat. You've come so far.

Donald:

Thanks for the information about the products. So now we can say, "read the label". What kind of products are allowable for induction, do you know?

I do have a few Carbolite bars in my freezer. They've been there a long time. I'll put one in my purse for an emergency, but that's it. Personally, I think cashews are a better emergency for me than the bars (although that's a whole other addiction ). I've noticed that sugar alcohols began inducing sugar cravings that ultimately (even a few days later) would result in a sugar binge. I just don't see that these things have any significant role for anyone losing weight. Like you, I believe they should still remain an occassional treat. I read about people eating 2 or 3 bars a day and I'm stunned! It's such a sign of our decline in the importance of nutrition. Our bodies need quality nutrients to remain healthy.

Bottomline, this WOE is about eating healthy, making healthy choices. Sometimes we can get so caught up trying to lose weight that we forgot about what's really important.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree that in general people are better off sticking with good quality unprocessed foods, but in Dr. Atkins' defense many people do seem to be able to eat those bars and keep on losing. Keep in mind that people who aren't having a problem generally don't tend to make posts about it so we only hear from those (usually) who are having a problem with the bars and that makes it look like everyone has a problem with them when in fact, not that many (statistically) do.
The bars do have quite a bit of vitamins and minerals added so they aren't totally empty calories and when the alternative is to eat a candy bar, I'd say that the Atkins bars would be a better choice but if it was available, I'd more likely head for a protein snack instead.
I had an Atkins catalogue handy, so I checked and the bars are listed as appropriate for the induction phase, but my general advice to anyone who asks is to avoid them until the ongoing weight loss phase and if they seem to stall weight loss, to not eat them at all until maintainance. For some, even the taste of something sweet (this includes artificial sweeteners like Splenda and Aspartame too as well as the sugar-free chocolates and jello) can provoke an insulin response and cravings.
The products are out there because there is a market for them, but as with any product on the market the general warnings, "let the buyer beware" and "YMMV" always apply.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 135/135/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with the last poster. My sister does Atkins and eats an Atkins bar every morning, some nuts throughout the day, and strawberries with whip cream occasionally and she lost weight and is skinny now and in great shape. She also exercises regularly, which to me is key. If you are exercising regularly, I think most (not all) people would be fine eating the occasional Atkins bar and nuts.

I wonder if some people mistakenly blame the Atkins bars for a stall because they seem more "carb like" than the other things they are eating and therefore they must be the culprit. Also, the same thing with nuts; maybe psychologically people think they taste too good and are too filling to promote weight loss. It is just a thought, I could be wrong.

I for one am not going to second guess Atkins, since I think you either believe in his theory (including with respect to net carbs) or you don't. Although I have been scared into eating an Atkins bar only once a week!

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:46
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Just to add a thought, I tend to believe that these products are targeted to a market of folks that NEED to have something like that available to them. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Atkins himself would prefer that we all stayed away from them ( Him...not his wallet...lol)

I, for one, need to stay away from things that closely resemble the items that are dangerous for me. A fake chocolate bar is one step away from a real one for me.

I am lucky, I have avoided all "frankenfoods" so far, and with the choices offered in this WOE, can say that I'm satisfied with my daily grub.

Sam
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
in Dr. Atkins' defense many people do seem to be able to eat those bars and keep on losing. Keep in mind that people who aren't having a problem generally don't tend to make posts about it so we only hear from those (usually) who are having a problem with the bars and that makes it look like everyone has a problem with them when in fact, not that many (statistically) do.

Hi Lisa:

Here's the thing. I looked at the poll on this site about low carb products stalling weight loss. Half the people who voted had had some sort of stall with them (out of 49 polled). So is it really statistically insignificant I wonder? Granted this is not a valid and reliable study, but it certainly makes me wonder.

I'm not suggesting that he ban his products, just that he advise people that these products should be used in moderation. I certainly don't think he should even consider allowing them in induction. Why can we not eat nuts within the first 2 weeks even though they are legitimately low carb (except peanuts and cashews).? He actually doesn't provide a reason in his book, but insinuates that people can't control themselves with nuts. The first 2 weeks are about learning control. Where's the control in eating LC bars as replacements for meals?

Hi afcgirl:

Quote:
I for one am not going to second guess Atkins, since I think you either believe in his theory (including with respect to net carbs) or you don't.

Actually, the initial credit for net carbs goes to the Protein Power authors Drs. Eades. So it's really not part of his "theory" per se. Sugar alcohols are a different breed than insoluble fiber, which cannot get digested. There exists a lot of controversy about how to go about counting sugar alcohols. Some say 0 carbs (like on the packets), some say full carbs (ADA), and others say half of the total carbs. There is a lot of gray area here. This site has a great article on sugar alcohols.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips006.html

I don't question Dr. Atkin's theories, as I said I idolize him. What I question is his premature inclusion of sugar alcohols into induction when they do in fact impact blood sugar in many people. Just how many would be very interesting to know. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some backtracking in the future about these sugar alcohols.

Sam59:

You are very correct. The products are targeted to folks who think they need them. Like you, it's one step away from the real thing for me if I eat them. As I said from watching Larry King Live, Atkin's doesn't even mention eating his own products during a typical day. That tells me something.

I love this forum! Isn't the exchange of ideas great? Thanks everyone for your input.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 135/135/125
BF:

Wanda,

I didn't mean to suggest that Atkins created the net carb theory as I knew it was created by others, just that he has now incorporated into his plan and I assume that he has tested the net carb theory with his own research. I am sure Atkins realizes that if people stop losing weight on his plan because of the net carb theory and from eating his products, not only would he not be able to sell the products but his whole empire would crumble (including the selling of his books). Therefore, I trust not only his ideas but also his business sense.

In addition, I know of many people on Atkins (including myself) who do eat the Atkins bars and other products and lose weight consistently. Others do not and yet are still in a stall. That's why, until I stop losing weight, I am going to stick with the Atkins plan as closely as possible, including his ideas on net carbs and Atkins products. I think it will make it easier for me to stay on this WOL permanantly.

Thanks for our input and ideas.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Wanda!

Actually, on his website Dr. Atkins does suggest that people keep their consumption of the bars to no more than 1 a day at any phase and they really aren't meant to be used as meal replacements, but snacks.
Realistically, I doubt that we'll ever see warnings on the labels that they may cause stalls in some people because that wouldn't be a great way to market them, would it? From a marketing standpoint, it doesn't make sense to scare off the customers before they even try the product.
As I said before, I really believe that most people are better off eating whole unprocessed foods, but in today's rush and bustle society that's not always realistic. People are also used to quick, on-the-go foods and meals and I think Dr. Atkins' corporation (and the marketers that work there) are tapping into that.
For the most part, I don't have a problem finding foods to go that are low carb legal and unprocessed, but there's a lot of people out there that either can't or aren't willing to put the time and planning into having foods that are plan-legal ready to go.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lisa:

You are absolutely right. There are a lot of low carb companies who provide good low carb products. There is a place for them. Heck, what would I do without my LC tortillas?

All I can say is that without great forums like this, many people would be frustrated and confused as to why they aren't losing weight, as they eat their daily LC bars. I see this issue raised almost everyday in one thread or another.

Anyone who gives advise on this forum should give themselves a big pat on the back. You really are helping the "low carb" cause.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:11
The evolution of me

BF:
Exclamation Playing Devils Advocate

There are so many things that can be an issue for individuals. Imagine if this forum wasn't here for us and we were just "dieters" armed with a book.

Artificial Sweetners
Diet sodas
SF jello and such...
LC products with sugar alcohols
Cheese
Too much sodium
not drinking enough water
not eating enough
eating too much
nuts and seeds
and so on and so on...

If there were this many disclaimers given to the general masses... how many of us would have even given this a try?

Last edited by lkonzelman : Fri, Jan-24-03 at 08:12.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:47

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Default ych

I ate the Advantage bars long before I started Atkins WOE. I found them about as appetizing as cow dung. Also I don't understand the high carb count. Each choc bar has like 21 gr carbs, so the label says. I am not a bar person but yesterday I was between a rock and a hard place, in meetings all day and so I had read labels on all bars and found Carb Solutions to be the best and it tasted wonderful. It was Chocolate with almonds, thin like a hershey bar and tasty. It had 140 calories and when I ran it on the carb counter, though it showed 0 sugar carbs and 14 carbs on the label, the counter came up with 8.9 carbs. IF I HAD TO EAT A BAR, I would much rather have this one than Advantage. I will not make a habit of it though because it would become an addiction for me.