Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:01

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Holy Cheese Whiz! Look at this "tip" of the day

I did a month's subscription (sometime back) to Dietwatch.com.
Wanted to see if their "low carb" meal plan was really low carb. It wasn't...But take a look at this tip of the day, and tell me how backwards THAT is!

"Eating when you’re not hungry is an easy way to find yourself going over your calorie limit for the day. So is waiting until you’re too hungry before you eat, as the lightheadedness and severe stomach rumbling may impair your judgment. You’re more likely to cram the first thing you find into your mouth, even if it’s not on your plan.

If you find that you have reached this level of hunger, do not start your main meal right away. First, drink 4-to-6 ounces of fruit juice or an 8-ounce cup of skim milk. Sit down and relax. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. This will bring your blood sugar up slightly and allow you make better food choices and to eat your meal more slowly."

UGH! The food choices I'd make are "ok...where's the chips? Where's the kid's cookies I stashed? Where's the fruit bar?!?"

No wonder we're fat and we don't know why!
-- Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:45
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Holy Cheese Whiz! Look at this "tip" of the day

Quote:
Originally posted by lpioch
If you find that you have reached this level of hunger, do not start your main meal right away. First, drink 4-to-6 ounces of fruit juice or an 8-ounce cup of skim milk. Sit down and relax. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. This will bring your blood sugar up slightly and allow you make better food choices and to eat your meal more slowly."

Standard advice given by those who don't understand the relationship between blood sugar and insulin. You're right, at this point you're not only searching the house for high-carb food, but you're already halfway to to grocery store with a mental list of all the sugary foods you want to purchase.

I pity anyone trying to follow such poor advice.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:14
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool What I would do instead

When I'm feeling light headed or very hungry, I eat a tsp of peanut butter, with the least carbs of course. That or celery with cream cheese. That helps me the best. Anyone else?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 20:13

BF:
Default Nuts and water...

I usually hit nuts (pecans or macadamia) and water when I feel the twinge (growlings) of hunger. That calms it down...and gives me a chance to warm up those stuffed mushrooms!
:-)
-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 20:22

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

Loretta,

I LOVE mushrooms....raw, but especially sauteed, however, I have never had stuffed mushrooms...would you please tell me what you stuff them with and how you cook them, I would love to try something new
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:06

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default stuffed mushrooms

Hi omgiam30
I too love mushrooms, I usually remove stalk and chop finely and add to cream cheese, creamed goats cheese or a blue-veined cheese, add garlic and whatever herbs you like (mixed herbs, oregano, basil, marjoram, paprika, etc) spoon this mix onto mushroom and then cover the mushroom with tin foil and place in dish and bake in the oven...you can remove the tin foil half way so that it browns on top, or if in a hurry nuke it in the microwave
luvverly!
Fi
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by omgiam30
I LOVE mushrooms....raw, but especially sauteed, however, I have never had stuffed mushrooms...would you please tell me what you stuff them with and how you cook them, I would love to try something new

I have tried only a few different recipes, but I like them all (I think 'cause I LOVE mushrooms too!)

The first I found on this site:
"Easy Stuffed Mushrooms"

The one that's in the oven right now (so I don't know exactly how it'll turn out, but its starting to smell YUMMY! I got from the
Easy Living Low-Carb Cooking cook book:

Seafood-Stuffed Mushrooms:
24 large fresh mushrooms
1/4 C. green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 C. butter
2 T. pork rind crumbs (just put some in foodprocessor or blender)

4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T. finely chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. dried dillweed
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 can tuna or 1 can crabmeat (6 oz)

Wash and drain mushrooms. Remove stems. Reserve caps. Chop enough stems to make 1 cup. In a medium saucepan, cook stems, onion, and garlic in butter until golden. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Arrange in baking pan. Bake in 425 deg. oven 8 ot 10 minutes or until heated through.

Makes 24
carbs = approx 1.1 per mushroom.

Enjoy!
-- Loretta
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default How one person's nasty comments can burst your bubble!

Last year I wasn't as successful on this woe as I had hoped, so this year I tried a new approach. I am not going to be as concerned with my weight as I am with sticking to the plan. I have created a contract with myself and I have been faithfully sticking to it.

I go to a weight loss support group and last night was our weigh in. I have been happy to report every day that I have been sticking to my promises to myself. Yesterday I was out to work (I am a substitute teacher) and I sat all day and watched films. I could feel my shoes getting tighter and tighter as the day went.

Well to make a long story short, I had a small gain last night an one lady said "Well, Carol, if you would stick to your plan, you would not gain!" I told her that I did stick to my plan and I was sure it was a fluid program. Again she made her statement.

I found this so upsetting that I went home and ate my old comfort food--ice cream. Then I was depressed from that until I did my fitday totals and realized that my carbs were up, but I was still within the calories I had set for myself.

Why do some people have to be so mean?

Carol
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 20:40

BF:
Default Re: How one person's nasty comments can burst your bubble!

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrsy
Why do some people have to be so mean?

Well, let's try to put a positive spin on it...

- She's clueless. I try to give people the benefit of doubt (after fuming for 5, 10 minutes...hours sometimes), because if we don't, only WE suffer by focusing on these mean people.
So...just assume she has no clue that she's saying something mean and just needs to get a clue.

- Because without mean people, we wouldn't have people who spur us on to prove them wrong! You can do it! I think the goal of sticking with the plan is a GREAT idea. But you also have to be able to forgive yourself if you miss a little.

- Because without mean people, we nice people wouldn't look as nice!

Have a better day tomorrow - and don't worry...be happy!

-- Loretta
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:11

BF:

Loretta thanks for that recipe - it sounds delish! I certainly will try that one out....
Carol, Loretta is right don't let it get to you - you are stronger than that and it is only ignorance .... I always say when people get to me (quietly though in case they are bigger than me.....) "Up your bum!" and then I think that that is such a silly thing to say so I giggle and then I feel a bit better about it all.
Also my mum also says to me "Fi, when things are down and looking glum, rest assured there's worse to come!" and that one also generally puts a smile on my dial
You know you are doing it for you and not them so don't worry about what others say although I do know that that can be quite difficult at times.
Take care and have a nice weekend.
Fi
x
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I stuff mushrooms with sausage and cheddar cheese! They are YUMMY!!!

oh...and a little minced green onion!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:01
Mad Scientist

BF:

Atrsy:

You could have "mean lady" stuffed mushrooms! Nah, they'd probably taste too bitter.

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jan-24-03 at 15:47.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:46

BF:

What are "mean lady" mushrooms wcollier?
and boy your mushrooms must be huge to be able to stuff them with sausages kmwebb1967!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey Fine:

I was being silly. The thread kind of took a turn from talking about how people can be mean (the "mean lady") to talking about sausage stuffed mushrooms. I put 2 + 2 together

Maybe I should have called it "ground up mean lady stuffed mushrooms". Eew, gross.

Wanda
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

Mmmm... mushrooms. Now you're all talking my language.