Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/179/165
BF:
Progress: 40%
Angry 21 days of induction and no weight loss

I started on 1/1 and have stayed in induction this whole time. Three days in and I went from 188 to 182. Today, I weighed in (day 21) and weighed 186?!?!?!?!? I'm going the wrong way.

I'm definately in ketosis as my test strips are deep pink to violet. In fact, I probably consume less than 10 gr of carbs per day! What's Up?

I'm not working out right now due to an injured knee but I never figured to gain weight on this program. The only food item I'm unsure about is the Atkins bars, which I have 1-2 of per day.

I'm definately discouraged. I'm not quitting, but I need to see some weight loss for encouragement and not just colored test strips.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I too have knee problems that hinder the normal "workout" but I recently purchased the Pilates workout and they show how to MODIFY the workout for what you can and cannot do. You might try that or maybe getting a book on yoga at the library.
Good luck!
Kim
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:11
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Ump! I'm sorry you're having these problems. But don't worry, there's always something new to try!

First of all, DITCH the Atkins bars....save them for emergencies or a special treat 1-2x a week. Take a look at this information about sugar alcohols and you'll see why they might be a problem for you.

Without knowing what you're eating, it's hard to give you advice. I'd like to suggest that you start a journal and record your daily meals and snacks. Even better would be for you to keep track of your food intake on www.fitday.com for a while and record the daily totals in your journal. In that way we can truly evaluate what the potential problems might be and offer some solutions to you. We're here to help, but need more information from you, ok?

How does that sound?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 135/121/100
BF:

try cutting out the adkins bars... if you can't totally, just try half of one in the morning, with a black decaf coffee... but you're not supposed to have the bars during induction anyways, so that very well may be the problem... hope this helps!
ryanne
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:37
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Teri is right - those bars stall some people and you may be that people. And start a journal. You may not be eating enough fat or enough period. Hard to guess from here...

Also, you say you keep under 10 carbs a day. That means you aren't eating enough carbs - such as veggies. Natural FIBER that helps you lose weight if you catch my drift and have needed vtamins. Minimum 2-3 cups daily.

See the veggies allowed:
http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:16

Stats: 188.5/179/165
BF:

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll immediately take the advise regarding the bars and ditch them. I'll also track and later post my food intake.

In a nutshell, I have two eggs for b-fast (either fried with butter or scrambeled) and have either 2-3 strips of bacon or 1/4 lb of burger, always with a slice of american cheese.

For lunch a chicken breast dipped in real mayo (I use about 4 tablespoons)

For dinner a 1/2 lb burger covered with 2 slices of cheese, 3 strips of bacon and another 4 heaping tbls of mayo and 1 tbls of Grey Poupon

Pretty much the same everyday (a little boring but...) Occassionally substitute broiled fish in butter for dinner.

I'll keep track.
Thanks again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:22
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

ADD VEGGIES!?!?!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:27
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

ADD VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:12
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by ump30
[BIn a nutshell, I have two eggs for b-fast (either fried with butter or scrambeled) and have either 2-3 strips of bacon or 1/4 lb of burger, always with a slice of american cheese.

For lunch a chicken breast dipped in real mayo (I use about 4 tablespoons)

For dinner a 1/2 lb burger covered with 2 slices of cheese, 3 strips of bacon and another 4 heaping tbls of mayo and 1 tbls of Grey Poupon
[/B]

I don't see the Atkins bars in here. Were they for snacks?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I made the mistake of eating lowcarb foods that were high in calories. The end of the day my stat would be something like 12 carbs and 2000 calories. My strips would be high because I am burning fat (dietary) but no weight loss.

What helped me is to eat more real food, my calories end up around 1400 and my carbs at 30. My strips are very, very light and I sloooowly lose weight.

Especially since you're in an inactive phase it would help to total up your calories for a few days. Or if you're small and a sloooow loser like me, plus when you're old (like me) I think the calories become a little more significant.

I agree with the veges, its important to your health and a good habit to start for your new woe. And they'll keep your cals lower.
Nancy

Last edited by nawchem : Wed, Jan-22-03 at 16:48.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Not a real friendly subject for some...but portions and calories DO count...maybe not on an obsessive level, but getting your carbs from salads and having meats for snacks keeps them a bit more within normal levels. I only ate legal foods too, but WAY too much of them...and yep, those bars are trouble!!

You'll work your way out of this and results will be around the corner!!

Hang in there!

#12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:19

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Also, try using real cheese instead of slices of american. Vonnie
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:37

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

and also remember your veggies? Did anyone tell you that??? LOL

#14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:38

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Hi,

When you say American Cheese are you talking about a natural cheese or the processed cheese food stuff? If you are using the processed cheese, it's 1.84 grams per slice. (per fitday)

I agree with others - ditch the bars!

Also, did you mention your beverages? This is my experience only, but when I started using splenda weight loss came to a halt and it took a few days to get back on track after discontinuing use of the product.

Best of luck

Carrollee
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 222/199/175
BF:
Progress: 49%
Cool

Water , Water, Water

Drink lots of water at least 1 gallon a day. Your body needs lots of water a day.... if you don't drink it ...your body will store it.

Add Veggies

Vary your protein sources

Eat smaller meals 5 to 6 times aday. Use fitday.com and track your calories... keep your fat intake above 50 % a day and total calories above 2000 a day.

Good luck stick with it , you got alot of good advice so far. Surf this form and read up on every thing that interests you.