Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Question Potassium Question

I bought some potassium pills and looked at the ingredients and noticed DEXTROSE..isn't that a form of sugar?? I looked all over town and all of them have this in it... the bottle says Potassium on the front and then on the nutrition label says potassium in the form of potassium gluconate 99mg...Is this the right one?? I am worried about the dextrose...HELP !!! I am soooo tired I need it !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Potassium Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mjsturg1
the nutrition label says potassium in the form of potassium gluconate 99mg...Is this the right one?? I am worried about the dextrose...HELP !!! I am soooo tired I need it !!
Gluconate refers to the type of chelation, I believe, and it's safe to use. There have been past posts about this, but the search function isn't woking at present.

Not too sure on the Dextrose, though.

Sorry I can't help more.
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:01

I hope someone out there knows....I though any little bit of sugar would throw you out of ketosis?? I will have to continue my search for ones w/out dextrose...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dextrose and lactose are often used as "carriers" for some supplements .. the intestine is able to absorb them more efficiently with a tiny bit of carb present. The amount is very small, usually less than ¼ of a gram. Some lowcarbers count 1g carb for all their supplements, just to be safe.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:14

Default Thanks !!

I was worried that the sugar would knock me out of ketosis..I took one yeasterday and one today and I feel much better and certainly not as tired !!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 20:51

Plan: t-dawg
Stats: 220/200/200
BF:17/11/8

Hello, yes dextrose is a sugar, it metabolizes nearly as fast as glucose. So it has a high GI. (By the way, Glycemic Index just tells us how fast insulin will act on foods, not how much insulin is released. There's a new chart called Insulin Index that will tell us this. Just thought I'd throw that in). Honestly, if taking potassium just plain makes you feel better then by all means take the one containing dextrose. One carbohydrate won't make or break your diet.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 07:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbarabbi
By the way, Glycemic Index just tells us how fast insulin will act on foods, not how much insulin is released.

Not exactly. The Glycemic index is a measure of how fast and how high a particular food will raise your blood sugar in the two or three hours after eating. Pure sugar is the standard against which these foods are measured and given an index number according to how much they raise your blood sugar in comparison to sugar. The lower the index number, the less impact the food has on your blood sugar as compared to table sugar. Your body will release some insulin when any type of food is ingested. How much insulin is released is directly related to how high your blood sugars are climbing (and if they are still climbing) a little over an hour after you begin eating. Insulin is released in two phases. The first phase is when you begin eating, the second phase is about an hour and 15 minutes later and is in response to how high your blood sugars have risen.
How fast the insulin will lower, or act on, your blood sugar depends on a variety of things not least of which is how receptive your cells are to its effects. If you are insulin resistant, it will take more insulin than a normal person to lower your blood sugars to the normal range again.
Indirectly, the glycemic index could indicate how much insulin is being released as the higher the foods you eat are on the glycemic index, the more insulin your body will require to bring your blood sugar down to and maintain it in the normal range.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 11:07

Plan: t-dawg
Stats: 220/200/200
BF:17/11/8

Lol, thank you Lisa for adding on to my post. Very true of you to take into account Insulin Sensitivity/Resistance. But, to state my previous post, 1 gram of dextrose won't make or break anything. So take your potassium and feel better. After all you're not taking whole bottles of this stuff each day... are you? Lol.