Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:43

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default fat ?

Can anyone help? I have an awful stomach...which is why I stared this way of eating. It has helped but I still am trying to find out what I can - can't tolerate. Heavy fats really kill my stomach. I had a salad with 2 eggs and lots of olive oil the other day and was sick for 2 days. Any suggestions? I also smell terrible when I use oils! I know that is gross - sorry! I get famished when I go with out food - again this is why I am on this plan but like I said it does not always work for me. I eat alot of watery vegetables to feel full because if I stick to just meat or cheese and food gets...stuck...I am in BIG trouble with my stomach.
Ideas? I know it is food allergies but any suggestions would be great! I can't do any "fake food" bars vegetable starches etc...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:56

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

As I am not a medical professional I don't know what to tell you aside that I hope as you continue on this WOE that your stomach ailments getter lesser. I know that I had acid-reflux among other problems pre-Atkins and now rarely ever have indigestion or stomach problems...yes, it took a few weeks but I am so glad that I am on this WOE now...no more Prilosec and no more lactose intolerance (except with ice cream).

So hopefully you will get better in time.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

have you been to the doctor to find out what's going on? It sounds like you are suffering needlessly if you haven't. I certainly would get checked out before continuing on this WOL, it's not worth being that sick. Like Yvonne said eating this way rids us of so many ailments that we once had, myself, high cholesterol and acid-reflux (I was taking pills for both, now nothing), but getting that sick, to me, isn't worth it - maybe this isn't for you.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:07

BF:

Thanks so much to the both of you! Yes I have been to every doctor this side of the moon. Each one has a differnt pill to give me. First they are convinced I am making this up or that it is all emotional, then after much ado they finally believe me that it is not emotionally related . At that point they prescribe different pills. I don't do well on pills. I want to know my problem first! This WOE has helped tremendously as long as I am prepared. I had broccolli(soaked in olive oil) one day due to major hunger and I was down for three days after. - I know better! So, like all of you already do, I have to take resposibility for my health and be prepared. My DH does Atkins and can go all day with out even thinking of food let alone eating! I would love that! I still have to eat every few hours. Thank you again for your responses!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

My father is allergic to olives and olive oil. Have you tried using a different oil - another seed oil, perhaps. Some to try are walnut, sesame, sunflower and safflower, particularly if they are cold or expeller pressed. If all seeds are your problem, there's nothing wrong with butter and bacon oils.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Default ??

Don't take this the wrong way but aren't you a little "underweight" I am the same height and I can't even imagine wanting to weigh 95 lbs ???

Maybe there's some underlying health problem there that' s affecting your stomach ??

Maybe Nat knows..???
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:56

BF:
Default fats

Thanks for the tip on olive oil - never thought I coulb be allergic to that too!

YES - I am underweight! All goes to why I am trying to find food that my body does not reject. Atkins seems to be the only thing that has been helpful! I am able to tolerate these foods and still be active. when I used to eat the carbs - oh boy what a mess I was then!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Tea

Hi there. First of all I agree about experimenting with different oils. Look at some light oils as well as good tasting exotic oils. Of course you can always go with flax oil or an EFA blend.

You don't list a location so I'm not sure what brands to recommend.

Also if you have a specialy tea shop nearby you could look into getting a tea to drink with your meals that will help with the fat digestion. If there is a "chinatown" where you live you could go ask them what they recommend. The Chinese have different teas for different types of dishes, and there are some for having after meals to help digest fat. (And yes Karen I know about the "fermenting" debate!)

Since you seems to be on Low carb for health rather than weight loss, I don't think the caffeine should be a bother.

Also, have you looked into how healthy/ strong your gall bladder is?

Hope this helps

Colin
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:11

BF:

Thank you for your welcome advice. I really appreciate how nice everyone is. BTW your stats are great! Keep up the great work!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:20

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

JKMOM-

If you know you are under weight.. why do you have posted on your stats "95"?

I am not a doctor, but-- Have they done ultra sounds? bariums? xrays? flex or a sig? ordered lab tests? H. pylori or stool specimens for O & Ps?

Ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist or dietician.... I am sure they could help you plan your meals and try a few things that may work for you.

And about your DH, Atkins is not about "not eating or not thinking about food". It is about eating the right kinds of foods/certain types of foods every 3-4 hours. And changing behavior. Not eating is not a good thing.

Good luck,

M-
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 03:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/151/143 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 89%

HI,

do you know that dr atkins says that it is not good for people that are underweigth to follow his diet!
In his book 'dr atkins super energy diet' he gives a variation on the low-carb diet for those people.
They should start at about 100 gr of carbs (no sugar or refined flour) They are allowed full rice, bread and fructose. And then either add or substract 10 gr at a time to find their best personal level. The purpose of this diet is to improve the energy and to eventually gain some weight.

Nele