Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:50

Plan: Protein Power,BFL
Stats: 265/249/158
BF:61%/55%/25%
Progress: 15%
Smile a couple BFL newbie questions

Hello Everyone!

Well, my hubbie and I are starting our first 12 week challenge here on Jan. 19th. We read Nat's advice and did a "trial run" first and after 2 weeks, we think we have the kinks worked out. But, I have a couple questions that I hope some of you who have been doing this awhile could answer

Question 1: Do any of the exercises work out the forearms?

In our trial run, we have done 3-4 days each of the upper and lower body work outs and boy do we feel the muscles in all the other places on our body, but our forearms are not sore. We do the work outs together to check our forms and we are doing them right. And, we have achieved total muscle blow out with the last exercise for those muscle groups.

Question 2: I've read about the minimum of Protein, but is there a maximum?

I can barely eat my 140g of protein daily, in fact getting used to eating 6 times a day is hard. But, my husband is already at 180g of protein daily and it doesn't seem enough.

Question 3: Stretching before the workouts? Any thoughts?

Any imput would be great appreciated!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 14:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: a couple BFL newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandMom
Question 1: Do any of the exercises work out the forearms?
Try Hammer curls, they specifically willl target the forearms, other than that, reverse curls do a good number on them, and there are a variety of ways of doing them. Check out www.fitsite.com and www.exrx.net for demos and a list of exercises for each body part.

Quote:
Question 2: I've read about the minimum of Protein, but is there a maximum?
Too much protein would be a daunting task. To put things in perspective, I eat 180g of protein regularly, and that's 'just right' for me. What are your husband's stats? I've seen some weight lifters consuming 400g of protein and not thinking twice about it. When you say "it doesn't seem enough" do you mean quantity wise or food wise? Is he hungry?

Quote:
Nope, just 'Do it" to steal a coined phrase You want to stretch those muscles out. Check out the general exercise forum, there were a few great polls on stretching and working out last month.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 13:00

Thanks Natrushka! Those websites surely did help out. Hubbie and I are going to incorporate some of those in week 4. We figure to change our routines every 4th week. Don't want our bodies adjusting!

As for protein, I guess I won't worry about myself! And Hubbie can have as much as he thinks he needs. He knows his body better then I do. (But seriously, 400g of protein ! Lordy! I couldn't image.)

I'm releived to hear about the stretching. I guess if I had thought about it, we do "stretch" when we do the weights starting at a lower weight, then adding it on as we go. That's what I get for having too much information rolling around in my head. It all started to overlap!

I do have one more question, though.( )

I drink 3 glasses of water and one cup of coffee before I start my workout. You mentioned you do that as well. Would it matter if I use whipping cream in the coffee (no sweetener)? Have you read about whether the fat in the whipping cream would do anything to the metabolism and throw it off? I want to do everything I can to lose my body fat as well as tone the body. I will go without the coffee, if I need to .

Thanks in advance!

IslandMom
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 14:44

BF:

Quote:
. Would it matter if I use whipping cream in the coffee (no sweetener)?
Mom, if you're talking a.m. cardio on an empty stomach I'm pretty sure that coffee should be black - the goal being the caffeine will help with fat burning / metabolism and you're still in a fasting state, helping with the production of HGH (human growth hormone). If you're talking resistance workouts then I don't think it's as big a deal; frankly I've done a.m. lifting workouts and p.m. lifting workouts and I greatly prefer the latter ( I am a lot stronger and more focusses with some food in me).

All I can suggest is try it both ways and see if you notice a difference over the course of a few weeks.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 20:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default More on stretching

Quote:
[B
Thanks! [/B]

Stretch 'heated' muscles —Stretching a cold muscle can strain and irritate the tissue. Warm up first. Walk before you jog, jog before you run, etc. It's most beneficial to stretch after you exercise, when the muscle is heated by blood flow and is more accommodating of a stretch.
Always warm up before stretching; stretching a cold muscle invites injury. Walk, ride a bike or do some calisthenics for 5-10 minutes before you stretch.

Stretching Basics
-Stretch after a warm up, before your workout, between sets and afterward for best results.
-Use static, not ballistic, stretching.
-Remember to hold your stretch for at least 15 seconds and as long as 30 seconds.
-Perform each stretch 2-3 times for best results.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 11:54

Originally posted by ZoneCoach
Quote:
Stretch 'heated' muscles........

Thanks ZoneCoach! I will keep this in mind for my aerobics.

But, in Body for Life, Bill Phillips mentioned stretching wasn't necessary for the lifting workouts because of how much weight you start with (or rather, you aren't lifting too much at first, therefore I'm "stretching" those muscle groups before their heavy workout). Do you stretch before your lifting workouts? Are you familiar with the Body for Life workout program?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Natrushka
Quote:
I've done a.m. lifting workouts and p.m. lifting workouts and I greatly prefer the latter ( I am a lot stronger and more focusses with some food in me).

I have found that our lifting workouts are much better accomplished in the latter part of the day as well. I was under the impression that the mornings were best, but we have seven kids and that makes for a big challenge in scheduling. That's OK though, 'cause we're doin' this together and that's what we wanted.

I will just do without coffee on my aerobic days . (I couldn't stand coffee without cream!) Maybe if it's the caffeine, I try something else.....black tea maybe.

I read you were going on vacation, soon, Nat. Have the best of fun!!!

Thanks in advance!

IslandMom
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 12:02

BF:

Quote:
I was under the impression that the mornings were best, but we have seven kids and that makes for a big challenge in scheduling. That's OK though, 'cause we're doin' this together and that's what we wanted.
Mom, 7 children? I'm simply amazed you've managed to plan things, let along carry them out!

Working out first thing has it's advantages; namely you get the workout in first thing and there's no worries about having time later in the day. Early a.m. workouts also help to get the old metabolism going and carry you through the rest of your day with a spring in your step. I do all my cardio this way, chiefly to take advantage of the boost in metabolism and to get maximum fat burning.

Working out with weights can be done first thing in the morning, and many do prefer it. However, as the goal of the weight lifting is to build muscle (via heavy enough resistance to cause microtears) that will in turn help you burn fat, it makes sense that lifting later in the day, when you're well nourished and stronger, would get you closer to this goal, faster.

Cheers,
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/178.6/150 Female 63"
BF:47.5%/37.8%/27%
Progress: 54%
Talking hoppin on this thread

I have a question for any and all. I have been getting a weird sensation during my workouts this last week. I am into my second month and upped my routine and reps. After I do my "land" workout, I do a water workout and stretches. I noticed that a few minutes into my aqua time I get the sensation of my hair standing on end...I also lose track of time...is this a symptom of "endorphins"? I have been working out in the water for over 2 years but only once a week ...I alos was suffering from fibromyalgia...this is very much under contol right now..only an occasional flareup from using the wrong posture when working out. I would love to hear more on this and if anyone else is feeling it. BTW...I am hooked! Anita aka Sillychili
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 16:48

Default Stretching

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoneCoach

Thanks ZoneCoach! I will keep this in mind for my aerobics.

But, in Body for Life, Bill Phillips mentioned stretching wasn't necessary for the lifting workouts because of how much weight you start with (or rather, you aren't lifting too much at first, therefore I'm "stretching" those muscle groups before their heavy workout).
Do you stretch before your lifting workouts? Are you familiar with the Body for Life workout program?
IslandMom

Yes, I am familiar with BFL and no, I personally don't practice what I preach (usually) when it comes to stretching. I typically do it the Phillips way and inbetween sets. I do however, ALWAYS warm up on a cardio piece for at least 5 minutes prior to any workout.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:52

Thanks guys! I'll use all this great info in our decisions for both types of workouts. It works out to do my aerobics in the morning before hubbie wakes up 'cause we only have one cardio machine. But, our weight lifting is done together in the afternoons (during the little ones' nap time). So far, our official week 1 is going great. I really don't think we could have done it without the Glutamine. Wow! Miracle stuff! I'm still getting used to eating 6 times a day, though .

sillchilly, I'm sorry to say, I have no advice for your problem. I wish I did. Maybe you should post it as a new thread and more people would see it and be able to help you.

Natrushka , we do have a challenge ahead for us in scheduling for our new way life, but we figured that our kids deserved healthy parents. Our kids are ages 1yr - 12yrs and they have pulled together in their support for us, doing what they can to make sure we see this through. I even have a couple kids who have taken it upon themselves to be our "friendly" reminders for the "extra" meals we need and the supplements we are taking. With support like that, we can't fail! Beside that, I am very inspired by this website and by your success story Nat (and may I say, your new picture is ever so nice! ). I know we will achieve our goals! Thanks!

Zonecoach , I will use your advice for the cardio. And might I add, how very nice you look in your picture! How long did it take you to achieve your current look? Did you achieve it through LC?

Thanks again in advance!

IslandMom
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:20

Default Thank you

Quote:
Zonecoach , I will use your advice for the cardio. And might I add, how very nice you look in your picture! How long did it take you to achieve your current look? Did you achieve it through LC?
Thanks again in advance!
IslandMom

Thank you.
I went from 24% to 16% BF in about 4 months doing the Zone and weight lifting with cardio.
Some circles would say the Zone is LC, while others would not. I slacked off during a family illness and went back up to about 19%, but am currently working towards getting back there.