Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Is this too good to be true?

I just accidentally came across this website that sells low carb bread. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. They are a small business so orders are baked "to order" for now. It seems too good to be true and I couldn't find anything on the site when I did a search. Has anyone tried this product? They will also be adding hamburger, hot dog and dinner buns to their product line.

http://www.smartweighters.com/index.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 03:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hey, WandaWanda. How do?

I took a look at the website and the ingredient information, such as it is, that's provided, and ya know, it's quite possible that it's perfectly accurate and correct.

My own bread recipe posted here in Readers' Recipes uses pretty well the same ingredients and has a lower carb count per slice, actually... But of course I have to MAKE it.

Getting it across the border might be fun, never mind the shipping charges. Also, in Canada (I've been doing research, the label laws have just undergone a major change) 2g or less per serving makes it 'legally' a Low Carbohydrate food.

FYI.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:18
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi ya Judi:

Long time no hear. I bought so many LC tortillas from you last time, I'm still trying to use them up.

So the sugar in the yeast really does burn off with no carb count? The only problem is that they use splenda. I'm concerned about eating splenda almost everyday, plus I don't really like its aftertaste. I e-mailed them about making it without splenda since they are made to order, but haven't heard back from them.

I'm surprised that no one has tried it. I'd really like to hear what it's like. One of my problems in the summer is trying to pack a compact, non-perishable, lightweight meal to carry in my golf bag. It'd be really nice to be a able to pack a sandwich that didn't taste like soy. But, I won't get my hopes up too high.

You think getting it across the border will be hard? I think they UPS the bread cause it has to be delivered within a few days. I'm mostly concerned about the cost if I like it.

Re: your recipe - I couldn't find one by Island Girl or Judi. I found one called "Lo Carb Bread". It has 4g/slice. Looks good, though, cause it has no soy it in. Your recipe, is it "good, good" or low carb "good". I'm not one for making "faux" recipes because they mostly remind me what I'm missing. I don't mind high fiber, but really dislike the taste of soy. I don't own a bread machine (in fact, I've never made bread), but maybe if the recipe were really good, it would be worth the effort.

As always, thanks Judi

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:17
Registered Member

Hey, Wanda! Goodness me, it's all really simple.

To find my recipe, go to the orange menu bar above and click on LowCarb Recipes, then from Karen's Gourmet recipe page, click on the red line readers' low carb recipes that's near the top of the page right above her picture, then click on Bread & Pasta then click on Rye Bread, Oven Baked, 2 1# loaves or even Gabi's World-famous Bread which is a similar recipe. It definitely has "IslandGirl" on it. My website name has no space in it, you technogeek you!

My version provides instructions for both Bread Machine and oven-baking. I minimize or eliminate the sugar/sweeteners (doesn't seem to harm anything and though the yeast PROBABLY eats it all up, there's no way to be sure) and increased the yeast accordingly. I don't like soy taste and there ain't any here as far as I can tell. I do generally use organic stoneground soy flour, but it's not dominant.

As for baking, if no bread machine, some experience is helpful. You might want to find someone who has baked and hand them the ingredients and recipe and have them walk you through it or bake it for you? Could be fun.

It's real bread and I've had bakers comment on the 'happy dough' that's produced and non-LowCarbers enjoy it as well (though you should ALWAYS warn them how filling it is).

As for the smartweighters website, I noticed it was up as of last July and it surprised me too, that I hadn't heard of it, being the Products Queen!

Enjoy, Wanda, email me (you know where) anytime!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Hey, Wanda! Goodness me, it's all really simple.

To find my recipe, go to the orange menu bar above and click on LowCarb Recipes, then from Karen's Gourmet recipe page, click on the red line readers' low carb recipes that's near the top of the page right above her picture, then click on Bread & Pasta then click on Rye Bread, Oven Baked, 2 1# loaves or even Gabi's World-famous Bread which is a similar recipe.

OK, OK, I'll admit it... I didn't check ALL the links under "Bread & Pasta" - skipped the Rye recipe cause I don't like rye and never made it down to Gabi's since I was looking for "Judi". Since I didn't know what I was looking for, I thought I'd ask.

Hey, the processed food queen has been converted. I can cook anything now. I've made pizza dough from scratch before, so I can do this. I think I can, I think I can..... Actually, maybe I'll get my dad to make the first mistake-free batch (he's a great bread maker) and if it turns out, I'll try to make it.

As for the smartweighters.com site, maybe they are just so young (as a business). Heck, you'd think they'd send free loaves to the "Product Queen" to test out and review. Hmmm, there's a thought.

You take care & I'll let you know how this turns out.

Wanda, the "technogeek"
P.S. aren't these little emoticons annoying? I love them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Wanda, you'll be happy to know it doesn't TASTE like a Rye Bread, more like a multigrain (which it IS, I suppose).

Do let me know how it turns out, I'd love to hear your Dad's feedback, too.

PS: I like it best oven-baked but I let the bread machine do all the hard work with the kneading. I haven't tried it yet with the dough hook on the stand mixer I got last Christmas but that's supposed to be a good lazy way to knead the dough.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 15:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Wanda, you'll be happy to know it doesn't TASTE like a Rye Bread, more like a multigrain (which it IS, I suppose).

Do let me know how it turns out, I'd love to hear your Dad's feedback, too.

PS: I like it best oven-baked but I let the bread machine do all the hard work with the kneading. I haven't tried it yet with the dough hook on the stand mixer I got last Christmas but that's supposed to be a good lazy way to knead the dough.

In that case, I'll try both recipes. My dad's feedback would be "I wouldn't touch the stuff". He's a white bread kinda guy. I tried converting them, but it was one of my miserable failures.

Ya, I was thinking of using the bread attachments on my mixer. I've used it before for low carb shortbreads and, I think, the pizza dough.

OOOOhhhh, you got a stand mixer for Christmas? Could it have been a Kitchen Aid for the hobby cook?

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 01:34
Registered Member

Cool oh yeah

I didna wanna BRAG but yes, a lacquer-black KitchenAid, my heart nearly stopped

I needs must get me a spare bowl, a small bowl and (ha ha ha!) one of those fancy-shmancy attachment kits with the meat grinder et al! YaaaaaHoooooo!

PS: I know you don't really want or need any but I thought I'd point out to you that with these cool conversational threads, you don't really need to use bandwidth in quotes! Well, not unless a whole bunch of people butt in and stick posts in between our little chats

PPS: When you get really good at this bread thing? Consider upping the vital gluten content and adding/upping (I can't remember if that's in there or not) the oat flour (health food store) and making a creditable white bread.

Hugs!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:20
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Judi:

You are right about wasting bandwidth. Old habits die hard. I used to belong on a BB where it was very hard to follow threads and there would be snips taken out of them. When I refer to something written, I just automatically quote it.

I'm so jealous about your Kitchen Aid. I've been considering it but never have the courage to spend that much money. I'll just have to wait till my current mixer goes. If I keep making bread, maybe it will go quicker. The grinder attachment has gone already.

Speaking of bread, I bought all my ingredients today. I'm going to make this tomorrow. I will keep you updated.

I don't know what's going on with that company. I e-mailed them, but they haven't replied. It's been 4 days. I noticed they use almond flour in their bread. Oh, I love almond flour. When I'm good enough, maybe I can play with that ingredient.

Take care,
Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:59
Registered Member

Default the hubby bought it....

... i didn't have that kind of financial daring either!

Sooooooo, how's the bread, eh? I'm going to experiment sometime this weekend with a starter, i.e., making one... now THERE'S a challenge. Sheesh.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 23:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 272/241/150
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default smartweighters not taking new orders

I sent them an email with an order inquiry and they responded back that they can't take any new orders. Very small business and they weren't expecting their little website to be noticed by so many. The webpage was just for the convenience of their very small local customer base. They said they may be expanding in a couple months. So at this point all you can do is get on their list of potential future customers.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 06:25
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi RhaChaCha:

Thanks for the info. Boy, guess they never thought what a thriving business low carb can be. I'll call them a see about that waiting list.

I'd love to hear what it tastes like if you get it before me.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 10:56
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Judi:

Having some trouble - recipe doesn't say what to add (ie. which flour) if the dough is too sticky - how long should I kneed with dough attachment?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 396/340/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

IslandGirl,

I just had to thank you for the wonderful bread recipe!

I made a ˝ batch 2 days ago and it was amazing! I have been buying Food for Life’s low carb bread, and although I like it(a little), it does not come close to the taste of real bread. Your bread tastes like a wonderful, home baked yeast and flour bread!

Your bread is going to be a regular in my home! Thanks so much!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 13:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Judi:

2 milestones today.

1) I just made my first loaf of bread - decided "what the heck" and jumped right in, cold turkey.

2) I just ate a legal chicken sandwich! It was like heaven.

Thank you, thank you for that recipe. I'm hooked. Is it worth it to buy a bread machine? If so, what's the best breadmaker for this kind of breadmaking? I think I'd prefer to bake it in the oven. It didn't seem like such a chore with the kneading attachment.

It was a little chewier than I remember most bread. I added a little more gluten flour to the recipe (wasn't sure what to add re: my post above), so maybe that was why it was chewier? I called my mom and she thought I still have to knead the dough even if using the dough attachment. If I have to knead, I'll buy a bread machine. I didn't knead the dough, but it seemed to turn out ok. Very big and light.

WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE UP BREAD? The ones I've had in the past were bricks or tasted like soy. Could these be made into hamburger buns?

Yay for Judi!
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Jan-25-03 at 13:55.