Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/145/135
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default ECA Stacks

I have decided to try out these weight loss aids and bought a pack of Stack II a few days ago. I have also read reports as I was worried about using ephedrine.
For three days I have used these and have found them terrific for increased energy and gym workouts have been much easier. However I have noticed my heart beating much faster, one of the documented side effects.
I am wondering if this means I should stop using altogether. Do most people who use the pills experience this symptom?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 13:38

Plan: Atkins, diet pills
Stats: 168/130/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Reply to ECA Stacks

Hi, I also take diet pills, and my heart also beats faster. I believe it beats faster because your body is making your temp rise (due to taking the pills) If you feel that it is beating too fast, and you feel bad, or weak, then I would stop if I were you; but if you just casually note that "hey, my hearts beating a little faster" then I wouldn't worry. Hope that helps!
Alexis
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 14:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi to both of you

In the General Exercise forum you'll find a monster thread by Trainerdan on ECA stacks and thermogenics with all the pros and cons about them. It's a pretty long read but the first few posts contain all the pertinent information - I would highly suggest reading through it.

Increased heart rate, blood pressure and body temp are all symptoms of taking the ephedrine and caffeine - that is their purpose; it's not a side effect. The combo works on your nervous system. You've heard of that saying "fight or flight"? It's a reaction that happens to animals (inculding humans) when they are in a situation and are cornered - you either have to run for your life or you have to stand and fight. ECA stacks create this environment in your body when you take them. It makes your system less efficient at burning energy - thereby making it burn more energy to get the job done.

Be sure when you scroll through the thread that you heed the warnings listed - ECA stacks are not for everyone.

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 01:43

BF:

Thankyou for the replies, they are helpful. I have been reading a lot about the subject, it's quite interesting.
I've noticed that my mood has changed a bit, and wonder if it is possible to have a " come down " after about four hours when the effects are wearing off. I can get a bit short tempered and have been outspoken also, moreso than usual. Not that having attitude is a bad thing!

My heart beating fast does not seem to be a problem. I was worried because I have a naturally very slow heart. My Dad does also and he'd always believed that this was a healthy sign until he discovered it was otherwise and has a pacemaker now. So I should be cautious.
Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by queenpris
I've noticed that my mood has changed a bit, and wonder if it is possible to have a " come down " after about four hours when the effects are wearing off. I can get a bit short tempered and have been outspoken also, moreso than usual. Not that having attitude is a bad thing!
Yes, this is often a side effect when the effect wears off. I think I remember Dan commenting that one of the products turned him into a real bear. The mixtures are all different, different the products will effect you differently. Many find Hydroxycut has the least 'behaviour related' problems, but it's also the most expensive and it contains HCA, not great for LCers.

You can find opinions on various brand names by trying a search for that particular name. Things like "Ripped Fuel", "Hydroxycut", "metabolife" and "Stacker II" - the search function is located in the upper right hand corner of every page.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 08:30

BF:

Ok, I will check out more. The types of ECA seem to vary widely.

I take herbal sleeping pills at night, not because the ECA keeps me awake. I have never slept well. I don't know all that is added but the active ingredient is Valerian. Do you think this could mess with the progress of the ECA?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 08:38

BF:

Do you still not sleep well, LCing? Are you taking any minerals, specifically Calcium and Magnesium?

Magnesium in tandem with calcium is one of The Big Three of vitamins / supplements for LCers. The two help keep muscles working properly and they also help us relax. I used to suffer from insomnia and I was a very light sleeper. When I started LC I started taking my cal/mag (2 pills in the am, one with lunch and one an hour before bed) That last pill of the day really made a big difference. I sleep like the dead now. This is a common side effect of LC and magnesium / calcium supplementation.

As for the valerian, I don't have an answer for you. I checked it out at supplementwatch but they don't really comment on how it interacts with other drugs/supplements. You can read it here if you'd like: http://www.supplementwatch.com/supa...upplementId=286

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 08:52

BF:

Thanks Nat,

The info on valerian was good to read. I must admit that I take no vitamins and keep reading about their importance. So I will take some Calcium and Magnesium. Great if it helps with sleep, could be the answer to my problem!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 07:35

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

i checked with my doctor and got his OK before i started taking ECA (I use Optimum Nutrition Complete Diet Boost)

So far i have had no real adverse side effects other than occasional mild indigestion which i think is due to the cayenne pepper and the fact that i take it on an empty stomach.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 07:52

BF:
Default ECA stacks

Another thing that I wonder about is the dosage. On the container of Stack II it recommends 1 tablet daily which is 30 mg and from what others have stated I would need 2 -3 tablets. What is the right amount ot take which will be effective and non harmful?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 18:29

BF:
Default Re: ECA stacks

Quote:
Originally posted by queenpris
What is the right amount ot take which will be effective and non harmful?
Pris, I am sure this information is in the thread in the General Exercise forum. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head; I'd follow the directions on the bottle though.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 03:22

BF:
Default ECA

Quite right! Adverse effects have lessened and they seem to be working well for me now.
A strange question.....I am travelling for a holiday and wondered whether I could encounter problems at the airport with these supplements! I don't want to be questioned over their nature, could this be possible?? Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 07:55

BF:
Default Anything is possible

You could, or you could not - it's going to depend on the country you're travelling to and the person checking the luggage. I have yet to have any problems. When I am uncertain I pack them in my checked luggage and make sure they are in the bottle they came in. I'd only take what I needed (leave the extra at home) in the event that it is siezed - you don't want to lose the whole lot!

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:09

BF:
Default ECA

These were my thoughts exactly!! Thankyou for letting me know. Regards, pris
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 09:12

BF:
Default wondering about this...

I had my gall bladder removed about a year ago, diseased due to the very low fat diet I had always followed. I had been very thin, and only realised my problem when I ate some fried food after hearing about Atkins. So I am grateful now for the whole experience I guess. Maybe I had had stones ( many of them ) for a number of years. I was 24 when it was removed.

Well, what I am wondering now is whether the stress placed on my liver for fat elimination ( is this what happens after GB removal ?) and the use of ECA's clash?
I have not yet seen a doctor but am sure I have liver problems. Not noticable unless pointed out, but I have yellow in the whites of my eyes. Sometimes pain on my right side, espeically with alcohol consumption so I have stopped. This pain was noticed long before beginning with ECA's.
Also I have had pain on my left side over my heart. Lack of energy and the other symptoms of liver problems are present also.

I am enjoying the burst of energy from the stacks so I am reluctant to give this up right now but wonder if anyone sees correlation between all the factors I have mentioned which could be potentially very dangerous??